Indian Variant ?

Slight change of tack.

When the announcement was made to avoid unnecessary travel to areas where there’s a high incidence of the Indian virus, did anyone here not understand what this meant? I doubt it, and I doubt many others did also because most people have common sense.

Now if the Labour lady on telly this morning could have said something along the same lines, then life could have simply drifted on as normal, the sun would come out and we’d all smell the flowers instead of crap.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

Indeed, and a majority of folk had the common sense to self isolate at home as they were too scared to venture out, irrespective of what Gov was saying at the time.   Those that were in areas of high risk such as hospitals and later care homes, didn't have that choice and most died.   😷

1 hour ago, asperity said:

The Indian Government doesn't want you to use the term "Indian Variant" so stop it you naughty people:

indian.jpg?raw=1

No, the term variant first detected in India is associated in the PANGO database metadata with B.1.617.2. That code approved by the Indian Government is the PANGO code for the variant and the metadata is intrinsically linked to it. Tough. 

14 hours ago, Gary said:

How are we to be "vigilant" as regards this variant? Is it easily recognisable as you walk down the street or in the Asda? Can it be avoided by crossing the road or shopping in Morrisons instead? Madness.

14 hours ago, Confused52 said:

No, the term variant first detected in India is associated in the PANGO database metadata with B.1.617.2. That code approved by the Indian Government is the PANGO code for the variant and the metadata is intrinsically linked to it. Tough. 

Don't tell me, tell India 🤣🤣

I can see what the Indian people are getting at but it’s not going to make any difference if the media changed as most people would still use the term because a recognisable name is far easier to remember that a load of numbers and letterers that all sound the same. And given the Indian variant had it’s origins in an easily identifiable Indian community we shouldn’t be surprised if people keep a bit more distance or think twice before ordering a curry. I think it’s quite natural and nothing really to do with racism.

Bill 😊

Think you worry a bit too much Obs. Numerically, things are on the rise with the Indian variant, but compared to where we’ve been, the numbers are incredibly low. Plus the increasing numbers mostly come from the younger age group who’ve not yet been vaccinated rather than from people like you and me so we’re relatively safe.

We’re having a street party on Sunday and I’ll bet on most people joining in as virtually everyone round here is old enough to have had two jabs. Even so, I predict that everyone will be sensible enough to distance themselves as we did back during the clap for carers thing when most Thursdays turned into a street social event.

Bill 😊

Look on the bright side Davy, at infinitum it might even mutate into a common cold. 😊

Interesting to see though how with all the steps that have been taken for the Corona virus how the incidence of the common flu virus has all but disappeared. Whether this was just a fluke or due to the restrictions we’ll probably never know but I think people would rather put up with the flu than go through this again.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 2

I haven't had my usual dose of bad colds for over 12 months ,Bill ,maybe it is the mask that keeps the cold germs away.

Incidentally, my cloth mask is now 14 months old & still doing the biz. I wash it occasionally in the washing up bowl ,after the dishes have been in & spray it a couple of days a week with dettol spray.

I think the restrictions on crowded places where the public could meet up probably had the greatest affect and probably explains why this will be the last restriction that’ll be lifted.

The problem with this new variant being easier to spread is that it makes trying to assess the effects of the last lot of easing virtually impossible. Although I suppose a true indication could be had on this by excluding areas where there’s an Indian variant, but they only seem to give us overall national rates.

As for the beaches, it’s a bank holiday, predicted to be the hottest day of the year so far, so what else would anyone expect? The only shock/revelation would be if nobody went to the beach, or left no litter.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

On 5/28/2021 at 5:45 PM, Observer II said:

.. And the latest is - there's now a "Thai Variant" on the loose. Now if it originated in Thailand how did it get here ?   😷

It didn't originate in Thailand, it was first detected there, in state quarantine of a traveller from Egypt!

The top countries for incidence are below and Thailand has only seen the original case!

Country Number of Sequences
Germany  148, USA  144,  Switzerland  62,   Egypt  33,  Belgium 26,  France 18, Denmark 16,
Italy  14,  Sweden  11,  Ireland  10,  Norway  6,  Austria  6,  Canada  4.

It has been here a while, the answer to your question is probably Eurostar!

Date Region Number of VUI-21MAY-01 cases
23/03/2021 West Midlands 1
28/03/2021 West Midlands 1
31/03/2021 West Midlands 1
14/04/2021 Yorkshire and Humber 1
14/04/2021 West Midlands 1
23/04/2021 East Midlands 1
26/04/2021 Yorkshire and Humber 3
26/04/2021 East of England 1
27/04/2021 Yorkshire and Humber 4
28/04/2021 Yorkshire and Humber 1
29/04/2021 Yorkshire and Humber 3
30/04/2021 Yorkshire and Humber 2
01/05/2021 Yorkshire and Humber 4
02/05/2021 Yorkshire and Humber 2
04/05/2021 North West 2
04/05/2021 Yorkshire and Humber 4
04/05/2021 East of England 1
05/05/2021 East of England 1
06/05/2021 Yorkshire and Humber 3
06/05/2021 East Midlands 1
06/05/2021 East of England 1
07/05/2021 Yorkshire and Humber 8
08/05/2021 North West 1
08/05/2021 Yorkshire and Humber 3
08/05/2021 East Midlands 1
08/05/2021 East of England 3
09/05/2021 North West 1
10/05/2021 Yorkshire and Humber 6
10/05/2021 East Midlands 1
10/05/2021 East of England 1
11/05/2021 North West 1
11/05/2021 Yorkshire and Humber 4
11/05/2021 East of England 1
12/05/2021 Yorkshire and Humber 4
13/05/2021 Yorkshire and Humber 8
13/05/2021 East Midlands 1
14/05/2021 Yorkshire and Humber 3
15/05/2021 Yorkshire and Humber 1
16/05/2021 East of England 1
17/05/2021 Yorkshire and Humber 1
17/05/2021 London 1

So basically,  travel is facilitating the spread of the virus nationally and inter-nationally,  and any track and trace systems at borders is failing to stop it  ?    :rolleyes:    😷  Meanwhile, we've got crowds of anti-vaxers  protesting in London yesterday - total joke. 😠   😷