Indian Variant ?

I know that this is at the bottom, it should be at the top, but didn’t want to start another new topic, especially on a dead subject.  I made the assertion a few weeks ago right here, that there could have been 40,000 fans in Old Trafford six months ago with very little risk.  Not much has changed in the numbers, but there were fans in  there today - better late than never. Everybody should have grown a bigger set of balls and made many more sensible decisions throughout this inconvenience.

Evidence is emerging that hospitals inflated covid deaths to reap in more grants and also, in some cases, as a convenient way to cover incompetence.

Texas has been a 100% open for months now and it was made officially open by Governor Abbot about a month and a half  ago and Biden called him a Neanderthal.  Masks have been unusual for a while and now, I never wear one, the doctors offices don’t require them and only stores who are scared of lawsuits have mask requirement signs on the door, but they don’t try to enforce it.  Well, Texas this week announced zero deaths from covid in the entire State, which has a population greater than the UK.  
Texas and Florida are thriving and both have been leaders in making the correct decisions regarding this bug, while Democratic States like New York, New Jersey and Michigan are still dithering around with restrictions and threats of lockdowns, reluctant to give over the power they have assumed over the last year and their residents are on the point of revolt.

Ive had a word with Greg ( Abbott) and he’s promised not to let Obs in because he will probably try to spoil the party !

• Haha 2

Well let me say again, two very different places with different circumstances that required different approaches. Unlike Texas, we had a major outbreak of a far more contagious virus that took our health services to breaking point before we had the vaccines. Had it not been for lockdown measures, God only knows how many would have died waiting outside the hospitals.

We’re pretty much through it all now but the overwhelming majority of people don’t want to end up back in the same situation again so rather than throw caution to the wind, the government has come up with a plan for gradual relaxation of restrictions. The current situation is that we’re almost back to normal with just places like night clubs and anywhere where crowds would pack tightly together remaining closed. We still have mask wearing inside most buildings but these days you just don’t hear any objections about it. I’ve been for a beer the last couple of nights and the pubs were extremely quiet both in and outside.

There’s some concern here over the Indian variant with infections in many cities doubling every week. This variant is even more infectious but I’ve no reason to believe that the facts on this or the numbers are being manipulated to scare me, which they don’t btw and nor should they or for anyone else who’s been double vaccinated. But we still have a lot of people unvaccinated (under 40s) and all those hospitalized in these areas had either not had or refused the vaccination.

In England, we have an Asian population of about 8% which explains why we have curry shops on every street corner, and you don’t. Their strong family ties mean they tend to travel back and forth to India and Pakistan frequently, so it was only a matter of time before this strain reached us. The hope is that we can get a lot more people vaccinated before this has time to spread and become another major outbreak.

The fat lady isn’t singing just yet.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

Bill, I'm sure you wouldn't make up statistics, but:

47 minutes ago, Bill said:

overwhelming majority of people

Well I'm sorry but I don't recall anybody asking me my opinion in the last 18 months about what measures we should be taking.

No, I’m talking about the overwhelming majority Asp and if your opinion is different, then quite simply you’re not part of that overwhelming majority. If I’d have said 100% of people don’t want to see another lockdown but you do then you might have extremely thin pedantic point.  

Out of interest, what percentage of people would you say actually wanted to see another lockdown?

Bill 😊

1 hour ago, Bill said:

No, I’m talking about the overwhelming majority Asp and if your opinion is different, then quite simply you’re not part of that overwhelming majority. If I’d have said 100% of people don’t want to see another lockdown but you do then you might have extremely thin pedantic point.  

Out of interest, what percentage of people would you say actually wanted to see another lockdown?

Bill 😊

It's almost disturbing how I'm getting acclimatized to lockdown to the point that I fear going back to old ways.

I guess it's a mix of apprehension that it will come back and the fact that I've become used to lockdown.

I suppose it will have to be a very gradual change over to normality for me and not a mad dash for the cinema or pub etc.

I think that age is a determining factor in this process of going back to old ways.

Once I couldn't envisage not going out all the time ,strange how time and circumstances can change my views

To be honest Latch I’ve been out pubbing for two nights on the trot and didn’t really want to go because of the uncertainty. The first time I was just driving past and saw the car park almost empty so I decided just to have a look inside and ask the staff what time they closed as previously last orders were being called at 9.15. They said things are back to normal, so they were still serving and with less than a dozen in the entire place I decided to have a quick pint.

Last night it was my brother who’s been isolating and not been to the pub for 62 weeks that asked me if I could take him for a drink at his local. It’s a tiny place and we both agreed if it was too crowded we’d try and find somewhere else but in the end there were only six people in there including my brother and myself. Seems everyone is having the same thoughts about overcrowding and risk but that’s not been the case either time I’ve been out.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

The point is, if you have been vaccinated you can stand in a room full of covid infected people and you will not be affected.  If you have been vaccinated you can’t get it and you can’t give it.  Go out and enjoy it, the folk who have not been vaccinated for whatever reason, are no danger to you.  The longer you say “Ah but ....... “ and keep wearing a mask, the longer others will copy you and the myth will be perpetuated.

For those who say that the vaccines are not perfect and there is a remote possibility ...........     I say, with that attitude, how do you ever climb into your car and pull out onto the highway ?

56 minutes ago, Stallard12 said:

If you have been vaccinated you can’t get it and you can’t give it.

sorry to say that despite being vaccinated however many times you can still "get it". the symptoms may be such that you feel a little under the weather but you can still "Get it". if you do "get it" then you will be infectious and be able to pass it forward.

It is like the flu vaccine. it does not stop you from catching flu it just reduces the debilitating effects and you can still pass it on to others whilst you are in the infection stage.

I do not wear a mask to prevent me from getting infected but on the off chance that i have been infected to prevent me from infecting anybody else who may be hospitalised due to secondary complications.

The only thing that is possibly perfect is being dead anything else is just a close approximation to perfection.

• Upvote 2

As Stallard says, life has its risks and if you've been vaccinated and are feeling well then Corona can be added to the long list of things we can be affected by whether we stay in or go out. So go out and enjoy life (or stay in and still be terrified because a government infomercial tells you to.)

Tests by the vaccine manufacturers and medical regulators say that the vaccines offer 90 to 95% protection from serious illness and in my book that means one in twenty or one in ten vaccinated people could still get infected. Other test results suggest that a vaccinated person even if infected is 50% less likely to pass it on.

Those are the official numbers from the UK sources, which for me carry more weight than doctor Stalard’s assertion that we should ignore our medical advice because there’s zero risk. The fires almost out but there’s still a lot of dry grass that could flare up if we don’t keep on top of controlling it.

Doctor Bill's prescription is to go out and have a beer and a chat with your mates, it'll do everyone the power of good but just be a bit careful how you do it.

Bill 😊

17 hours ago, Stallard12 said:

...  Well, Texas this week announced zero deaths from covid in the entire State, which has a population greater than the UK.  

No it doesn't. The population of Texas on 1 Jan 2019 (according to the Texas Demographic Center, Population Estimates and Projections Program ) was 28,901,062. The mid 2019 population estimate for the UK (according to the Office for National Statistics) was 66,796,800. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Bill said:

Doctor Bill's prescription is to go out and have a beer and a chat with your mates, it'll do everyone the power of good but just be a bit careful how you do it.

I tried that on Wednesday, first match of the bowling season. unfortunately the club i belong to will not opening it's doors until the end of June. so the chat with the mates bit was ok but the beer part didn't happen, good job i took a few bottles of ginger ale with me......🍻

I think I heard this morning that Spain is lifting all it’s restrictions on UK visitors including the need for testing when entering their country. Well, they would wouldn’t they if we have the lowest risk anywhere in Europe, no problem for them but a problem for anyone returning because with relatively high levels there, it’s rightly still on the amber list.

Albania looks good though with the numbers at the moment but I’m not sure what the people are like out there after so many years of communism and if they’ve fully embraced the idea of tourism.

Bill 😊  

19 minutes ago, Observer II said:

Spain, like the rest, will open up for all those Brit £££££'s;   and the lemmings will ignore the traffic lights.    :rolleyes:    😷

I'm afraid I think the same way..

We just need to ensure the quarantine rules on arrival back in UK are strictly observed

Well we’re lucky in the sense that Warrington doesn’t have a high number of Asian residents compared to the places the new variant is spreading so it’s not such a big risk to go for a pint. 😊

As for overseas holidays, I can’t see the point in spending money just for the sake of a bit of extra sunshine if the restrictions are just as bad or even stricter than they are here. We’ve just booked a couple of days in the lakes at the end of July and that’ll probably be it for this year. I just hope by then that the restrictions will be fully lifted so that we can at least go for a drives out and find a places to stay or to eat without having to constantly pre-book everything.

Bill 😊  

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2021 at 11:09 AM, Confused52 said:

No it doesn't. The population of Texas on 1 Jan 2019 (according to the Texas Demographic Center, Population Estimates and Projections Program ) was 28,901,062. The mid 2019 population estimate for the UK (according to the Office for National Statistics) was 66,796,800. 

Well you need to do a China and start culling!  Texas is three times larger than the UK and it’s just right.

18 hours ago, Observer II said:

So it seems we have a greater population density (ideal for infection spread);   whilst Texas just has a dense population !    😄   😷

Even though you would seem to be well qualified, we still won’t let you in !  😀