Indian Variant ?

Millions of Britons have been "unwittingly tracked" using their mobile phones to see if vaccinated people moved about more after receiving their jabs.

A report from the SPI-B committee of Government scientists revealed that data from one in ten peoples’ phones were tracked in February without their owners’ awareness, the Telegraph reports.

The figures obtained were used by researchers at Oxford University, who carried out studies for the Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Behaviours (SPI-B), which advises Sage.

The Oxford University experts found 4,254 individuals were vaccinated using “cell phone mobility data for 10 per cent of the British population”.

If this story is true it is quite concerning how people were not told about when they were vaccinated

That sounds like a load of old cobblers because it doesn’t take millions of people to work that one out when a random sample of a few dozen people would return virtually the same results.  

Anyone with enough intelligence to be working in scientific research would understand this so that just leaves the plonker that decided to write something to try and wind people up. The Beano's news reporting is going right downhill these days and the SPI acronym might also be a bit of a giveaway.

And BTW Asp I can’t believe you fell for the story about the vaccine containing a microchip when most intelligent people accept the tracker goes into your brain when they take your temperature.

Bill 😊

• Haha 2

Whether it is covid related or not we can all be tracked by our mobile phones.

In my local ,the landlord says the covid police can turn up anytime to demand to see his cctv tapes to see if anyone on the premises ,customers or staff ,are breaking the covid rules.

4 hours ago, Latchford Locks said:

Millions of Britons have been "unwittingly tracked" using their mobile phones to see if vaccinated people moved about more after receiving their jabs.

A report from the SPI-B committee of Government scientists revealed that data from one in ten peoples’ phones were tracked in February without their owners’ awareness, the Telegraph reports.

The figures obtained were used by researchers at Oxford University, who carried out studies for the Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Behaviours (SPI-B), which advises Sage.

The Oxford University experts found 4,254 individuals were vaccinated using “cell phone mobility data for 10 per cent of the British population”.

If this story is true it is quite concerning how people were not told about when they were vaccinated

The Actual SPI-B document ( S1162_SPI-B_-_Behavioural_Considerations_for_Vaccine_Uptake_in_Phase_2.pdf (publishing.service.gov.uk)) says:

"To provide additional evidence beyond self-reporting, we examined pre- and post-vaccination mobility data in the month of February 2021, using cell phone mobility data linked to vaccination centres of around 10% of phone users in Britain that was fully GDPR compliant and anonymised (see Appendix for data description). We find that vaccinated users increase their mobility range after being vaccinated (i.e., via monitoring mobile phones that visited vaccination centre). For the 4,254 users for whom we identified a vaccination event, their range of mobility, as measured by the radius of gyration, increased by 8.6% in the week after vaccination compared to the week before ... . Their average pre-vaccination mobility increased by 218 meters (from 2,529 to 2,759 meters).The difference is statistically significant. ..."

So the University bought anonymised mobility data, O2 sell it, as used by every local authority for traffic analysis. Cunningly they knew where the vaccination centres are, using the published addresses and then worked out which O2 cell IDs would serve each centre. They then worked out the approximate distance travelled in the week before the jab and the week before that as well as the week after. They did that used the Cell-IDs and date-times and knowing the locations of the cells, there is a google api to tell you that. So all that happened at least one whole week after the vaccination. They had no idea who the 4524 survey users were going to be in advance and they still don't know now. Choosing the subjects was down to them going to a vaccination centre once on the chosen day for identifying targets, There was a complex algorithm for who to include to make sure that they were not behaving like staff or delivery drivers.

There was no way they could be told because they were chosen for tracking weeks after the event and no one knows who they were. The university doesn't have the records of who was vaccinated at that time. There is no civil liberties issue here at al.

2 hours ago, Observer II said:

Does anybody really believe that when folk are told to go home and isolate, that they actually do it ?   Even those who take it seriously will be passing people in and out of the airport, in taxis or trains etc -   total joke.      😷:rolleyes:

The ONS do statistics on this and 84% of people do fully comply with isolation. So the glass is more full than empty!

I must of completely misheard the news then when I thought they said 84% don’t fully comply and also the debate following it giving the reasons.

As for the tracking thing, I didn’t think it would be millions and even just over 4 thousand is more than I’d have thought would be needed to prove something that most people could have just as easily guessed at.

Maybe it’d make more sense to have had a phone tracking exercise after people had tested positive rather than just getting the jab.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Confused52 said:

No. You really do want a police state don't you?

Nope, I want a safe State with competent management.    😷   Seems the Indian variant is beginning to spike,  meanwhile they're talking about foreign travel and allowing thousands to protest in London over Gaza.  :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Davy51 said:

Whether it is covid related or not we can all be tracked by our mobile phones.

In my local ,the landlord says the covid police can turn up anytime to demand to see his cctv tapes to see if anyone on the premises ,customers or staff ,are breaking the covid rules.

My local publican also tells me that his daughter is employed to sit at a computer by HMGov ,a computer which randomly dials the landlines of people who are supposed to be isolating & woe betide the person who is not able to speak on the phone. A bit like being criminally tagged if you like.

13 hours ago, Davy51 said:

My local publican also tells me that his daughter is employed to sit at a computer by HMGov ,a computer which randomly dials the landlines of people who are supposed to be isolating & woe betide the person who is not able to speak on the phone. A bit like being criminally tagged if you like.

But the problem there is what if the person is having a shower or doing something else that prevents them answering the land line phone.I make that distinction as mobile phone use whilst being in the throne room is prevalent among people these days.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Davy51 said:

What happens if there is no landline number, only a mobile? Do they then have to resort to tracking the location of the mobile? And isn't there a way of automatically transferring calls to your landline to your mobile phone? Bill will know I'm sure.

• Upvote 1

I thought I wasn’t imagining things, I’ve just read this from the Guardian (national) website.

Less than 20% of people in England fully self-isolate when asked to do so, according to documents released from the government’s scientific advisory group for emergencies, which said mass testing would be of no use unless this percentage rose.

For what it’s costing the country to do all this testing, I think rather than bow to the civil liberties lot, they should make the identity of everyone that tests positive public and let the neighbours keep an eye on them.

If people test positive, give them a bloody big sticker to display in their window and have checks in place to ensure its displayed for the required time.  As for phones, anyone could answer and tracking mobiles, well they’re not exactly ankle tags are they and you could just deliberately leave them behind.

Bill 😊

The whole thing is a sloppy mess;  according the Dominic Cummins, the first strategy adopted by HMG was to go for herd immunity, which probably ratcheted up the death toll.   Then they imported all UK citizens back from China, probably infected; initially they bused them to a hotel in the Wirral for quarantine, but that sound precaution was soon abandoned.  They then resorted to telling folk at the Airports to go home and isolate, which no doubt allowed spread throughout the transport systems.   Seem all the chickens are now coming home to roost.     😷

The way I see it is that it’s not really a lack of government ability as such because we have to believe that they’ve brought together the best scientific minds to try and come up with solutions. Where it’s gone wrong is the is way in which it was sold to the public and the request for people to isolate is just a typical example. The measures should have been made a lot tougher to drive home the importance isolation.

That said, tougher measures couldn’t have prevented the virus from spreading until the vaccines had the chance to kick in, but stricter measures could have certainly reduced the overall numbers.

Bill 😊

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I thought I wasn’t imagining things, I’ve just read this from the Guardian (national) website.

Less than 20% of people in England fully self-isolate when asked to do so, according to documents released from the government’s scientific advisory group for emergencies, which said mass testing would be of no use unless this percentage rose.

For what it’s costing the country to do all this testing, I think rather than bow to the civil liberties lot, they should make the identity of everyone that tests positive public and let the neighbours keep an eye on them.

If people test positive, give them a bloody big sticker to display in their window and have checks in place to ensure its displayed for the required time.  As for phones, anyone could answer and tracking mobiles, well they’re not exactly ankle tags are they and you could just deliberately leave them behind.

Bill 😊

That article is 8 months old and based on a paper whose data was collected on the 5th and 6th May 2020. The sample size was 217. I did get the number wrong ( see ONS analysis -Coronavirus and self-isolation after being in contact with a positive case in England - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)) which says :

"Data collected from 19 to 24 April 2021, after further easing of coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions on 12 April 2021, show that the majority (92%) of those who had contact with a positive COVID-19 case fully adhered to the self-isolation requirements throughout their 10-day isolation period."

Emphasis in Bold is mine.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, asperity said:

What happens if there is no landline number, only a mobile? Do they then have to resort to tracking the location of the mobile? And isn't there a way of automatically transferring calls to your landline to your mobile phone? Bill will know I'm sure.

I suppose if you don't have a landline then a mobile number is the only option but i suppose the idea is to pin you down at home. No doubt if you took a mobile out it could be tracked to show that you had left the house though.

1 hour ago, asperity said:

The service is called Call Diversion All about Call Diversion | BT Help

• Upvote 1

I'm amazed at folk quoting data, when the means of aquiring such data are in doubt.  Throughout, there has been a significant minority who have railed against any restrictions, and pursued deliberate non-compliance with rules. It only takes such a minority to maintain the spread.  😷   The problem throughout has been the reluctance of HMG to take decisive action quickly and in a draconian fashion, in order to get ahead of the curve, due to their economic priorities.   😷

18 minutes ago, Observer II said:

I'm amazed at folk quoting data, when the means of aquiring such data are in doubt.  Throughout, there has been a significant minority who have railed against any restrictions, and pursued deliberate non-compliance with rules. It only takes such a minority to maintain the spread.  😷   The problem throughout has been the reluctance of HMG to take decisive action quickly and in a draconian fashion, in order to get ahead of the curve, due to their economic priorities.   😷

You mean giving priority to the economic activity that pays your pension and puts food in your stomach is what you disagree with? There are not enough police, prisons and isolation hospitals in our free society to allow the nonsense you espouse to be even slightly practical. The public have to co-operate and bullying will prevent that. The fact is that isolation, as it has been, worked and the science worked. The NHS kicking patients out of hospitals without testing didn't work, relaxing rules for Christmas didn't work. 

• Upvote 1

Con. I’ve just spent about an hour trying to decipher the overly complex statistical data from the latest British Medical Journal reports, and from what I can see, the majority of people surveyed admit that they didn’t fully isolate. So, if there’s a majority that admit it, then there’s likely to be even more that don't comply but who understandably don't like admitting to it.

Information, however accurately collected that relies on people owning up to doing something they shouldn’t, has to be so questionable so much so that it’s pointless.

I often say you don’t need to be a rocket scientist to see what’s going on with your own eyes.

Isolate.jpg