More self inflicted woes -

Observer II

Whilst I support your position Con, I would be grateful if you wouldn't misrepresent mine.   Yes, I support a much more draconian lock down regime, which has already proven to reduce the "R" rate; but it doesn't necessitate the starvation of food supply.   Essential services can, and have been maintained, in order to keep things ticking over and a majority alive.  Once established, and the rate reduces, a slow, bit by bit release of the brake is required, starting with the youngest age groups by cohort, whilst maintaining shielding of the "at risk" oldies.    😷

36 minutes ago, asperity said:

The evidence is that the hospitals aren't full of Covid patients and there isn't a larger than normal death rate from respiratory diseases. All we get told is how many cases there are each day without being told that case=positive test, but we aren't told that positive case could be anything from at death's door to no symptoms. I'm no expert, but I've heard a lot of experts who have opposing views to the ones held by the experts the government chooses to take advice from, so I can't do anything but watch and wait. I don't have any power over anyone else in the world, so what I think is of no avail.

It is the position of those other experts which I challenge. Just because the BBC calls them expert in one of their famous false balance positions doesn't make them right. as an example their position in the Great Barrington Declaration is that the effect of natural infection is that herd immunity will be reached through natural infection. Indeed the whole basis of that agreement depend on it being true so that one can ignore covid if old people stay at home.

The problem is that it demonstrably isn't true. The number of people carrying antibodies was falling during the summer so it doesn't last a long time when stimulated by natural infection. The number of seropositive (with antibodies) in the North West is at 10% after a the highest intensity of cases in the country and with the highest death toll in the country too. The Ro value is now stated as 3.7 which give a massive 72% of the population that will have to have caught it naturally in about six months but the 25% that should have been kept from infection are still going to be OK (by some miracle). This is nothing but wishful thinking. Work the numbers out for yourself. How do we keep the economy going if we have to endure five more months at or above this rate of people becoming sick and going to hospital. It is beyond credibility. In my view it is pragmatists on one side and dreamers on the other.

The vaccine, it is hoped,  simulates a higher level of infection than normal infection in most people. The plan as far as the numbers I have analysed in terms of vaccine supply say they are aiming to vaccinate all the over 60s by the end of March. It will take possibly until the end of May to get the over 50s done. Then the hospitals will not get as full and the Great Barringtonites can have their wish if they like. The big problem is keeping the nation going until then.

It is a shame that you don't want to finish the thought experiment we started. I firmly believe that the data is there to see which side is right. But then I would say that wouldn't I? 

26 minutes ago, asperity said:

I heard an opinion today saying that the "new strain" of Covid is so infectious that we will reach herd immunity whether we like it or not before any vaccination programme can get near. Time will tell.

Interesting, I was using the new strain R in the calculation earlier. I suspect Boris is going to stop the experiment in real life at 8pm by at least shutting secondary schools. I think he needs to lock the little devils up in their homes too but again time will tell.

Well it seems Boris has finally been shaken out of his dithering and we are now on FULL lockdown.   I agree Asp, all points of entry, into the Country, into Hospitals, Care Homes etc; should be screened with a corvid test.  It would also seem sensible to seperate positive and negative patients within Hospitals, or even use the Nightingale Hospitals as isolation Hospitals for covid cases;  thus giving people with other illnesses the confidence to use NHS services.        😷

I’ve just spent an interesting couple of hours standing inside the entry of Sainsbury’s while waiting for the AA to jump start my car. During that time, I had a good chat with the bloke that was checking people coming into the store. He confirmed that he had no power to stop people entering and his job was simply to remind people and offer masks to those without them. He said there had been several instances where things got awkward, so they’d all been told not to confront or make any comments.

During my two hours waiting, there were just a couple of youngish lads who both willingly accepted masks and a couple of scruffy looking individuals, both in hi-vis jackets that just said no when offered one,

It was also interesting to note how people behaved on exiting the store. Most of the younger people removed their masks the very instant they reached the first door, while older people tended to keep theirs on until well outside. Read into that what you will, it’s just an observation.

The AA guy confirmed that the battery was over four years old and on its last legs. The car’s 14 years old now and has only let me down once before and that was a flat battery as well. Anyway, it's booked in for its MOT on Friday so it’s definitely time for a new battery.

Bill 😊

PS Just blew up the battery charger by connecting it back to front. Maybe I should book myself in for an MOT at SpecSavers.  :)

seen a couple of them in the past. one that stuck out was his attempt to wire a light fitting. five bulbs later and he then managed to blow the whole house wiring including the plugs which were on a separate circuit.

hilarious but dangerous. "rigth i just need to connect aaaargh" flash boom crackle. "no that's not right it must be arrgh" crackle pop fizz. " just a minute i have it aaaaaaargh bleep bleep bleeeeeeep" wisps of smoke rising from hair etc.

how the guy is still alive i will never know.

Well Sid it was snowing like mad first thing this morning but turned to rain later.

Car got it's new battery and passed it's MOT no Problem but I've just noticed, it was only 6 month since it's last MOT. Looks like somehow they've assumed I didn't get it done when it was due last July despite their records showing it was done at that time.  I'm a bit miffed about this as I've paid the full price and only had 6 months. Wonder how many others noticed this?

Bill :)

Mine was due in november, no problems apart from the rear brake pads getting a bit thin. The guy who does mine just gave it an advisory. got the pads just need to get hold of him to sort them out along with a new gaiters for the front.

what with these tiers and such not had the chance to sort anything out.

Was twelve months for mine so didn't lose out any.

Getting decent petrol consumption though, currently three months to a tank. filled it up two weeks ago and have done 11 miles so far. Probably find more has evaporated than i have used in travelling.

Problem solved Sid. My brain hadn't updated it's calendar and was still thinking it was 2020. I did take it for it's MOT six months ago but I've just checked the invoice and they only did a service. Whoops.

Thought the mileage was a bit high for six months not going anywhere. 

10 minutes ago, Bill said:

Problem solved Sid. My brain hadn't updated it's calendar and was still thinking it was 2020. I did take it for it's MOT six months ago but I've just checked the invoice and they only did a service. Whoops.

Thought the mileage was a bit high for six months not going anywhere. 

image.jpeg.e294e8ce7186ed017423c1553158dfe1.jpeg

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Observer II said:

Just for interest,  didn't the MOT requirement get delayed in the first lockdown - so where are we with it now ?      😷

I believe it did get set aside . Mine was done just before lockdown & is ok to the end of March.

51 minutes ago, Observer II said:

Just for interest,  didn't the MOT requirement get delayed in the first lockdown - so where are we with it now ?      😷

MOTs became a permitted activity so they had to resume, the advice was 

This temporary MOT extension applies to cars, vans and motorcycles with MOTs that were due to expire between 30 March and 31 July 2020.

If your vehicle meets these criteria, then your current MOT certificate will be automatically extended by six months

The last extended MOT therefore expire at the end of this month.

I completely misunderstood and thought that the six months was a just grace period giving extra time to get things sorted if it was needed., I didn’t realize it was an automatic extension. So in July when thing were almost back to normality, I booked it in for a service and MOT as I do each year but the garage didn’t say anything and obviously I didn’t look at the paperwork. Ah well, no harm done I suppose.

I did send an email about it to the DVSA but I suppose they’ve seen so many do this they won’t even bother replying.

Bill 😊