More self inflicted woes -

Observer II

No, and neither has the fresh fish and meat counters, so it's all prepacked now apart from cooked chicken.  Plans for an Argos in there also seem to be out of the window. I'm not sure what's happening with the cafe, maybe that'll make a return once the Covid measures arn't needed.

They seem also to be pushing the latest in store technology where it’s self-scan as you walk around and no need for any checkout staff. Thinking about it, that’s probably the real reason why they’ve made the isles wider, to stop people from bumping into one another while looking at their scanning device. 😊

Traffic lights in the stores? Sounds a bit drastic but I suppose makes sense if people won’t change their shopping habits. They certainly could have done with some of these at M&S the other day.

Bill :)

They are at the entrance to both aldi and tesco.

No idea what the criteria for the red light is or who does the counting. and says "that's enough for now."

different stores have different ways of dealing with lots of shoppers. range from asking people to queue or to log in with their phone and wait in the car until you get a text to say you can come in to allowing so many shoppers with baskets per person with a trolley.

Think it is three basket people to every trolley person. the idea behind it being that people with a basket will not be in as long as somebody with a trolley.

46 minutes ago, asperity said:

Like everything else you can do the lottery without leaving your front room - the Internet!!

Perhaps not so easy when buying for a syndicate, which is what is happening when they take 10 minutes and need a ticket printing for every set of winning numbers to prove the agent isn't diddling them.

I remember when on a Wednesday, Friday and Saturday there would b a queue of thirty people at half six trying to get their lottery tickets before the cut off at seven.

Worst one i had was a couple getting married that weekend and wanted 150 individual lottery tickets to hand out to their guests. each ticket needed three different presses on the machine to print out. one hour and several customers later i then had to count them again just to make sure.

to this day i still don't know if they had any winners among them.

Nothing to do with what we're discussing but on the very first lottery, I had all of the first three numbers that came out, and so for a short while, I thought it might be me. Certainly got the heart pumping. 

Another slightly less off topic but amusing thing I just read was this about how anti vax people appear to others with slightly more sense. 

vaccine.jpg

Bill :)

Yes Asp I thought it was quite good and that’s why I decided to share it here. I’ve seen loads of stuff like this being posted on Facebook, including the ones where people genuinely believe that it’s possible to microchip a vaccine. It’s quite sad really because people who believe this is even possible, which of course it isn’t, clearly are not particularly well educated as is often shown by their poorly spelling and grammar.

But even the well-educated people these days aren’t immune to the continued exposure to a relentless stream of misinformation that’s to be found online. Personally, I know several people who don’t ever watch the mainstream news channels as they believe that they’re all in some way not telling the truth. In these cases, the spelling and the grammar may be spot on, but they give themselves away by the excessive use of the word “THEY” Some would argue it’s all down to who or what you trust, but for me, there’s nothing more certain that the growth of the internet has helped to create a very divided society.

Rant rant rant. Enough, I smell lunch!

Bill 😊  

On 12/18/2020 at 11:59 AM, Observer II said:

It's mind sets that cause folk to dawdle - stood in a queue the other day for over 10mins while a woman bought lottery tickets and scratch cards.    :rolleyes:

Sainsburys is a nightmare for the"lottery counter" queue. People spend ages at the counter checking old cards they bought and deciding what to buy next I avoid at all costsSee the source image

Depends where your draw the line with mainstream news Asp. I tend to accept the BBC as being the most reliable source of good information as it’s paid for by the whole population rather than large businesses and has a charter to try and maintain fairness. But this thread has drifted far enough, and I don’t want to turn it into a political debate even though someone’s put it in the political section. 😊

Bill 😊

i always have a chuckle at those who say they want to microchip you with a vaccine.

My view is this as long as it keeps me safe they can hook me up to the mainframe of the CIA.

how sad these people are who think that any government wants to know all their intimate details. like what they had for tea or where they went on their last holiday. You don't need a microchip for that just go on facebook and look at their profile......🕵️‍♂️.....🤭

Well, anyone who thinks “they” can track you from a chip in a vaccine are just plain silly, but there does seem an awful lot that make the argument that they don’t trust it and the safety checks carried out. I’ll confess, initially I had some reservations about how quickly things had been done but as more information is made available, I feel a lot more confident that it’s the right thing to do.

I’m happy if it gives me less chance of catching the virus and it helping to fight it off if I do manage to catch it. I’m less sure about how effective it would be though if only 50% of people take it up especially if the bulk of the refuseidots (new word) are from the younger generations who by all accounts do most of the spreading.

Bill 😊

3 hours ago, Observer II said:

So, as soon as the London lock down was announced, panic ensued and the rats began leaving, crowding onto trains leaving London, and spreading the new virus throughout the UK -  seems it's just going to go on and on.     :rolleyes:    😷

It would have been sensible if the government had stuck to its original 5 day relaxation plan. What did they think would happen when they announced that Christmas was going to be cancelled for millions of people?