A & E

Latchford Locks

I've noticed all day that both Warrington and Halton A and E dept's are on maximum times ie 4 hours or more.

Now Runcorn normally run at 30 min wait and Warrington 2  hours.(daytimes)

Is there some emergency taking the staff out of the systems ? 

Nothing seems to be going on in Warrington so is something out of area causing this rather large surge in waiting times ?

This is the latest update

130 people in treatment queue is not acceptable surely ?

Department Average time to be triaged / prioritised / initially assessed Longest waiting time to be seen by a Doctor / Nurse Number of patients waiting to be seen by Doctor or Nurse Total Number of Patients in the Department
Runcorn Urgent Care Centre 2 hours 24 minutes Over 4 hours 13 36
Warrington Hospital Emergency Department 1 hour 43 minutes Over 4 hours 49 94

21 hours ago, Observer II said:

Couldn't tell you Latch;  the last time I dared go into the Hospital, was for a blood test, which was conducted on an appointment basis, so no queues.  Could this be staff quarantining after a holiday or an infection  ?       😷

Don't think so as staff quarantining would mean a minimum 14 days of shortages

It seems Runcorn are back to normal but Warrington still gridlocked.

Why couldn't a shuttle bus move some folk over to Runcorn to ease the crush ?

Department Average time to be triaged / prioritised / initially assessed Longest waiting time to be seen by a Doctor / Nurse Number of patients waiting to be seen by Doctor or Nurse Total Number of Patients in the Department
Runcorn Urgent Care Centre 0 minutes 26 minutes 1 10
Warrington Hospital Emergency Department 4 minutes Over 4 hours 23 60

Opening Times:

58 minutes ago, Davy51 said:

Sure i read on Guardian web page that  they are starting an A&E phone booking system  so casualties don't have to spend as much time at the hospital.

Yes via NHS 111 ... good idea , may cut out the time wasters with ingrowing toenails.

The gp e-consult triage system for doc's appointments seems to to do that at local practice level..

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Latchford Locks said:

But surely that's standard practice these days

My point is that do do that takes up time.if every patient takes up half an hour minimum and they have to spend twenty minutes cleaning then only two patient can be seen by that station in an hour. not sure how many assessment stations there are in a&e but i don't think it is many

Quite a few of the patients seem take up more than an hour and if they need to be admitted to a ward could be waiting for that for two or three hours or more. all of which takes up space in the assessment areas and adds to the waiting time of other patients. add to that the fact that each station would not have a doctor dedicated to it but maybe one per three stations so that doctor would be flitting from one to the other whilst waiting for various test results to come back.

How they manage to keep the times any lower than two hours always amazes me.

2 hours ago, asperity said:

The last time I was in A&E I was seen right away, and was given tea and biscuits! Mind you it was in a very quiet hospital in Stornoway so might not be a fair comparison 🤕.

Well maybe I'll get on my bike and pedal off there 🚲 😅

But at the risk of being repetitive or boring

Why oh why isn't some method of patient transfer viable ???

I should think it would be relatively easy

and take pressure off Warringtons overworked staff  

Last Updated Date and Time: 3/9/2020  at 2:35 PM

Runcorn Urgent Care Centre Assessment time =0 minutes Longest wait to see Doctor=5 minutes patients waiting to be be triaged 1 patients waiting to see Doctor = 8
Warrington Hospital Emergency Department Assessment time =17 minutes Longest wait to see Doctor=Over 4 hours patients waiting to be be triaged= 25 patients waiting to see Doctor= 58

it's a matter of transporting the patient.

If they are to be moved to another hospital then it usually has to be done via ambulance. Be it a standard ambulance of one of the smaller ones. occasionally they will use a taxi firm for non-urgent cases and that all costs money unfortunately. What budget it comes out of i do not know but i suppose that they reckon that a patient sat for four hours in a warm environment waiting to be seen is more cost effective than getting them to another place that "could" see them quicker. after all the cost of heating is the same no matter how many patients are waiting.

Of course i could be totally wrong, it would not be the first time or the last for that matter....🤭

16 minutes ago, Evil Sid said:

it's a matter of transporting the patient.

If they are to be moved to another hospital then it usually has to be done via ambulance. Be it a standard ambulance of one of the smaller ones. occasionally they will use a taxi firm for non-urgent cases and that all costs money unfortunately.

Of course i could be totally wrong, it would not be the first time or the last for that matter....🤭

I was thinking non seriously urgent cases such as broken fingers, bad cuts/burns, vague aches and pains/rashes etc etc

And use a mini bus ??

I mean Runcorn is only round the corner,

and some NHS bosses think these distances are ok ??  =

The UK coronavirus testing system is struggling to cope with demand, meaning some people with symptoms are being asked to travel more than 100 miles for a swab test.

1 hour ago, Latchford Locks said:

Well maybe I'll get on my bike and pedal off there 🚲 😅

I've just checked the latest stats for the Western Isles NHS. 99% of A&E patents are dealt with inside 4 hours. No mention of availability of tea and biscuits though 🤕.

17 hours ago, Latchford Locks said:

I was thinking non seriously urgent cases such as broken fingers, bad cuts/burns, vague aches and pains/rashes etc etc

And use a mini bus ??

I mean Runcorn is only round the corner,

Perhaps a notice in the a&e department pointing out the availability of the shuttle bus and live waiting times for treatment at halton  with the message that it was an option to non urgent cases could be arranged.

The last time I was in A&E I was seen right away, and was given tea and biscuits! Mind you it was in a very quiet hospital in Stornoway so might not be a fair comparison 🤕.

is that the one they show on BBC at dinner time before bargain hunt?

1 hour ago, Evil Sid said:

Perhaps a notice in the a&e department pointing out the availability of the shuttle bus and live waiting times for treatment at halton  with the message that it was an option to non urgent cases could be arranged.

is that the one they show on BBC at dinner time before bargain hunt?

Don't know, I never watch the BBC, or any of the other "main channels" for that matter.

On 9/4/2020 at 8:07 AM, Evil Sid said:

Yes... it seems a pretty easy cheap way of helping cut the queues.

In fact why hasn't it been done already ?

Because clearly there is a big problem 

Last Updated Date and Time: 5/9/2020  at 12:19 PM

Runcorn Urgent Care Centre 0 minutes 34 minutes 2 6
Warrington Hospital Emergency Department Over 4 hours Over 4 hours 11 38

If the obvious solution isn't working You're likely attending to the wrong  thing! - Cheezburger - Funny Memes | Funny Pictures

• 1 month later...

I hate to keep banging the drum.

Last Updated Date and Time: 29/10/2020  at 4:40 PM

Runcorn Urgent Care Centre 1 minute 34 minutes 4 10
Warrington Hospital Emergency Department 3 hours 37 minutes Over 4 hours 26 67

But I will until someone does something

Get Runcorn to take Warrington overflow.And lighten the doctors and nurses overstretched caseloads

A shuttle bus for those with less urgent problems , Dislocated fingers/Cuts needing stitches,etc etc etc

image.jpeg.0c21f5c49385869f63e00a3154fcbd61.jpeg

3 hours ago, Latchford Locks said:

I hate to keep banging the drum.

Last Updated Date and Time: 29/10/2020  at 4:40 PM

Runcorn Urgent Care Centre 1 minute 34 minutes 4 10
Warrington Hospital Emergency Department 3 hours 37 minutes Over 4 hours 26 67

But I will until someone does something

Get Runcorn to take Warrington overflow.And lighten the doctors and nurses overstretched caseloads

A shuttle bus for those with less urgent problems , Dislocated fingers/Cuts needing stitches,etc etc etc

image.jpeg.0c21f5c49385869f63e00a3154fcbd61.jpeg

There has been a shuttle bus for a long time now, it is not fast.

13 hours ago, Davy51 said:

The surgery contacted me today about my & my significant other's flu jabs.

mrs sid's docs contacted me three times about her flu jab, which she refuses to have. my doc hasn't even got any info about it on their web-page and have not been in contact with me for over three months since they told me the results of my xray.

Mrs sid had to go for a blood test the other day, her doctors contacted me to let her know hat there was a blood form at reception to be picked up and to call them.

Guess who had to make an appointment with the surgery to go and pick up a blood form from reception.

yep that is correct i had to make an appointment to walk into the reception area whilst the receptionist handed me a blood form and then i walked out.

Took twenty minutes of faffing about to get through to the doctors, ten minutes of which was the usual covid info followed by the press one for urgent etc.

was then told that it would be two days later that they had a slot for me to pick the form up.

five minute drive to get to surgery and about a minute to get parked and walk in.

ten seconds to get form and then walk out and drive home another seven minutes.

took mrs sid two minutes to cotact the blood place for an appointment. five minutes to walk over there and about three minutes waiting to be called.

13 minutes ago, Observer II said:

Had my flu jab in the Chemist shop - sorted.   GPs need a salary cut for not performing through this pandemic.    😷

I did the Chemist route as well,far more convenient.

Just had it when picking up my prescriptions in and out 5 mins .

Dr's want a set appointment time and a wait in the car park(yes no waiting room access)till it's your turn.

image.png.047d34021676301d529bbe0ebf044ac4.png