Cricket or a better alternative watching ?wet paint drying'

Sue Durnim

Which is more fun Cricket or Paint Drying?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more fun Cricket or Paint Drying?

• Paint Drying
    • Cricket

Or should that be CricHATE!

I get the impression that some media channels (e.g. TV news, papers and radio) that employ a very small minority of cricket fans/staff, seem to think the majority of the public are the slightest bit interested in this very over-bearing, over-hyped, boring, tedious activity.

I personally find this activity tiresome and would rather suffer pins being put into my eyes than watch or listen to this activity. (if you have noticed, I have called it an ?activity? not a sport otherwise I would have put this post in the sports section.)

I do however have an alternative?.read on!

How about getting five different colours of Dulux paint

(other brands available) say, Red, White, Blue, Green and Yellow

in a 1 meter x 20cm strip painted on ply wood or something similar and lets see which colours dry the quickest and maybe Warrington Worlwide could sponsor the event?

I think this is a superior alternative to CricHATE!

Look forward to reading your comments.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love cricket. I love the Test matches, the one day internationals, the county games, the tournaments and the 20-20 matches. Love it. It's not remotely boring if you understand the game, there's actually a fair bit of tactical brainwork as well as some stunning skill on display in a good match.

Reason One: It's the last game that's not overrun by louts spitting and swearing and grunting.

Reason Two: The Americans and Russians don't play it. They've ruined tennis, destroyed athletics and are moving in on football.

That said, if you'd rather watch some steroid-fuelled yank stalking about W1, or the endless procession of noisy stinking F1 cars, or even the relative drying times of identical paint formulae, then I respect your right to choose. :wink:

I love cricket - a game of beauty. Going into PF Ward's or Whites

was a real treat.

I went for an interview at a certain school and was asked what I wanted to be when I left school. I hadn't been primed by my parents and said - as a budding Cyril Washbrook- "a cricketer" to which one of the panel said "a cricketer?". Such a person shouldn';t be allowed to live.

Happy days

Well Sue, I can only express sympathy for you. If you don't enjoy cricket then you have yet to live. In fact, if they don't play cricket in heaven, I don't want to go there.

However, in one respect I do agree with you. I do not particularly enjoy WATCHING cricket. Or any other sport. In my opinion, sport is for PLAYING not watching.

And I can assure, you that playing cricket, when you can have a hard ball hurtling towards you at anything up to 100mph (and hitting you sometimes) is not in the slightest boring!

You carry on watching paint dry. It's a lot safer!

Bill. I think what you have heard is "the only way they can avoid losing now is if it rains"? You really don't understand the rules do you?

I personally find this activity tiresome and would rather suffer pins being put in their eyes than watch or listen to this activity. (if you have noticed, I have called it an ?activity? not a sport otherwise I would have put this post in the sports section.)

I'm neither here nor there on cricket, like test matches, not got much timew for the rest of it, especially 20/20.

However how can you not call it a sport?

Sorry, I have made a typing error

I personally find this activity tiresome and would rather suffer pins being put in their eyes than watch or listen to this activity. (if you have noticed, I have called it an ?activity? not a sport otherwise I would have put this post in the sports section.)

It should say 'suffer pins being put into my eyes than watch or listen to this activity.' :oops:

Fatshaft

However how can you not call it a sport?

Obviously I am not a cricket fan, but I don't call it a sport when all they do is throw a tiny ball at a couple of sticks and the run back and to for hour after boring hour or untill it gets a little dark or worse still, a spot of rain arrives.

Not against banning the sport totaly, but could the media transmit in on some distant satalite channel away from the mainstream viewing, radio or news channels. It seems that the English Cricket Team seem to be playing every other week in some obscure tournament, that nobody is interested in, heard of, or of any benefit. The only good thing about cricket is that it keeps people employed and off the streets.

It will be interesting to see the poll above after 10 days.

In`s & Out`s of Cricket

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

I don't know what sort of TV you have Sue, but there's millions of cricket fans would pay you good money to watch it!! As DS says at the moment cricket is confined to pay to view satellite and you have to search around to find recorded highlights. Now if you were to say the same things about darts or snooker I would be 100% on your side!! :wink::lol::lol:

Sue, you sure start some good topics. Perhaps a better way would be to list the most boring sports, although when someone says

" hitting a round object with a piece of wood" is technical, the mind boggles.

It's a toss-up between cricket, golf and fishing as to which is the most boring. Maybe call it a draw. :wink::lol:

I don't remember saying that watching Boycott was exciting but watching ViV Richards was............don't take me on with this argument , you will lose.

I know, but you and others say that cricket is so wonderful. I was making a point that it is not always so.

Viv Richards and Botham were the only times I found cricket exciting since my school days when Lindwall and co ruled. (was it Lindwall? early altzeimers seems to be setting in this morning.)

I saw Viv and his family in Taunton a couple of years ago. Nice bloke as well as a brilliant cricketer.

Fatshaft

Obviously I am not a cricket fan, but I don't call it a sport when all they do is throw a tiny ball at a couple of sticks and the run back and to for hour after boring hour or untill it gets a little dark or worse still, a spot of rain arrives.

So basically the definition of a sport (physical activity ina competitive environment), means for you it isn't a sport? :shock:

Not against banning the sport totaly, but could the media transmit in on some distant satalite channel away from the mainstream viewing, radio or news channels.
As already pointed out, that is what already happens.

It's quite funny, it's the sort of comment we used to get all the time pre-satellite days, when once a week if you were lucky there would be a live game of football on somewhere on ITV/BBC, and all the nagging women would complain about 'too much football on telly' as it disrupted their non-stop 24/7 viewing of soaps.

Well guess what, SKY have built their company and made a fortune on the back of 'too much footy', I must admit to being surprised, seeing as how unpopular it was, I thought we'd have seen them dedicate their main channels as Sky Soaps1, Sky Soaps2, SKY Soaps 3 & Sky Soaps News.

Seems ITV & BBC were going the right way all along, but were too busy listening to their Points of View whingers like yourself. :roll:

Sue, you sure start some good topics. Perhaps a better way would be to list the most boring sports, although when someone says

" hitting a round object with a piece of wood" is technical, the mind boggles.

It's a toss-up between cricket, golf and fishing as to which is the most boring. Maybe call it a draw. :wink::lol:

Fishing isn't a spectator sport, so you can't really count it.

Snooker has to be right up there, but the winner has to be rugby.