Relaxation of Rules

Bill

It’ll be interesting to see how the proposed relaxations work out and whether or not the advice will need amending if things don’t go according to plan. No doubt the younger generations will be delighted with this, while oldies like us might be a bit more concerned.

We could have done without the Delta variant ramping up the numbers but as Boris said, it needs to be done and this time of year is the best point to do it. I doubt it's going to make much difference to me as social distancing and indoor masks became less of an issue with time.

Bill 😊

It's a total joke Bill;   You've got crowds of morons flocking to the EUEFA dames,  the Tennis crowd rubbing shoulders as they attend Wimbleton without masks; and soon the Olympics spread fest - so the rules simply don't exist for them in any case.    I think most grumpies will remain cautious and continue to wear masks etc;  until after the Winter, just to ensure they don't get caught by another groundhog surge.    😷

To be fair, footy fans acted like a load of morons before these changes where announced and Wimbledon is open air venue. The numbers will skyrocket because of this but as long as it’s not having too much of a detrimental effect on the NHS then that’s the price we have to pay for our freedom.

In a way it could be argued that the quicker the numbers rise, the faster we’ll be through the problem. Just as long as it’s mainly the young getting infected, then herd immunity could actually overtake the vaccination process.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Bill said:

In a way it could be argued that the quicker the numbers rise, the faster we’ll be through the problem. Just as long as it’s mainly the young getting infected, then herd immunity could actually overtake the vaccination process.

Bill 😊

Well that is true Bill especially if as seems likely they do not have enough Pfizer and Moderna to vaccinate kids and they are at greater risk with the Oxford than by catching the disease. Looks like vaccination +infection for the 18-25s and infection fot the under 18s, hence no bubbles off school. It is best to get it caught by the kids whilst the first lot of protection for grumpies (over 50's) is still intact. The third dose vaccination is due to start on 6th September in the same order as last time down to the over 50's  by 17th December to give more protection after Autumn. They are planning to give a flu jab at the same time at the moment by the way.

The bubbles were intended to reduce transmission in kids who relied on older folk, i.e. grandparents, who they might put at risk. So for grandparents without the vaccine there could be trouble ahead next term when the policy is just to send them home when they are infectious..

1 hour ago, Bill said:

It’ll be interesting to see how the proposed relaxations work out and whether or not the advice will need amending if things don’t go according to plan. No doubt the younger generations will be delighted with this, while oldies like us might be a bit more concerned.

We could have done without the Delta variant ramping up the numbers but as Boris said, it needs to be done and this time of year is the best point to do it. I doubt it's going to make much difference to me as social distancing and indoor masks became less of an issue with time.

Bill 😊

Snap.. won't make any real difference to me either.

1 hour ago, Observer II said:

It's a total joke Bill;   You've got crowds of morons flocking to the EUEFA dames,  the Tennis crowd rubbing shoulders as they attend Wimbleton without masks; and soon the Olympics spread fest - so the rules simply don't exist for them in any case.    I think most grumpies will remain cautious and continue to wear masks etc;  until after the Winter, just to ensure they don't get caught by another groundhog surge.    😷

Not sure about the Olympics I think the organisers have their fingers on the pulse there

But that’s the whole point surely. The fact that we’re ahead of the curve with the vaccinations and with little chance of getting seriously ill, we’ve got less to worry about from external events like the Olympics than most other countries.

They say that it’s not over until everyone in every country has either been vaccinated or infected and I suppose we could add to that, got through all the possible variants. It can’t be stopped, and it’ll run it’s course whether we have the Olympics or not. I reckon that given we’re relatively safe, cancelling mass events only serves to delay the inevitable and prolong the problems.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Observer II said:

Speak for yourself grumpy 🤣🤣

As long as this virus is circulating around the globe, it will infect and kill unvaccinated folk, whilst developing new variants - the latest being the Epsilon or California Variant, which is feared to be resistant to current vaccines.  So, no one is safe until we're all safe.   😷

But the relaxations have been gradual Obs and the infections started to rocket well before this announcement. All that’s needed is for us more vulnerable oldies to keep ourselves safe for a little longer until the infections start to die down.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

The government isn't saying that we have to stop social distancing and mask wearing, they are saying that it's time we, "the people", took responsibility for our interactions with each other. We've had over 18 months of the government acting like an overpaid nanny telling us not to put our fingers in the electric socket or hand in the fire, time we started taking back responsibility for ourselves. Wear a mask, or three, if it makes you happy. Don't go to a pub, rugby match, supermarket or even the park if you don't feel safe, but do it because that's what you want, not what the government tells you to do.

• Upvote 3

Free thinkers have been active throughout the so-called restrictions, completely ignoring rules by assembly in crowds etc; with some refusing to be vaccinated.  Unfortunately, divine justice doesn't apply, as most of these young idiots don't succumb to the serious consequences of infection, but rather pass it on to those more at risk.   The hypocracy of abandoning face masks in enclosed areas, thus allowing idiots to cough and sneeze over others;  whilst having a long standing ban on folk smoking in similar conditions. just illustrates the expediency of Gov policy.   With infection rates now rising,  all eggs have been placed in the vaccine basket;  and if we get a variant that overcomes the vaccine, we're back to square one - again.   😷

1 hour ago, asperity said:

But you do enjoy preaching your opinion and calling out anyone who doesn't agree as "stupid, idiots or hypocrites". As for "we'll see who's right etc", I didn't realise it was a competition, what's first prize?

The first prize is, being proved by eventual events to have been right.  :rolleyes:    😷

I wonder if those who refused to wear a mask on the basis that they didn’t believe Covid was a threat or that no government that they didn’t vote for is going to tell them what to do, will they now reconsider given the message is simply to show respect for others?

I can understand how some had strong feelings about the original guidance regarding masks but maybe putting it this way, we might even end up with more wearing them or is that giving the public too much credit.

Bill 😊

What about people who believe that wearing a mask is more of a threat to their health than not wearing one, or that the idea that wearing a mask is better for other people than not coughing or sneezing on them? Many people in the medical fraternity believe that the effect of masks is psychological rather than physical. My own take is that you should wear one if that's what you want to do, but don't preach at those who don't want to.