Relaxation of Rules

Bill

If you read the news page you would be aware that they have been on the rise for the last week or two in the warrington area at least.

every day so far there has been an increase in numbers reported by Gary.

https://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2021/07/12/one-more-covid-19-death-and-139-new-cases-as-infection-rates-continue-to-rise/

today's offering just in case you missed it.

so hardly due to an ease in restrictions. more likely due to the promise of an ease in restrictions. "Jumping the gun" as it were.

Well, given we were still supposed to be in lock down, with limits on funerals and weddings;Ā  over 60,000 packed into Wembly on Sunday, with more crowding into Wimbleton -Ā  JOKE.Ā  Ā With regular demos, this has been going on throughout so-called lockdown, so the spike is no surprise.Ā  Ā Boris, is now getting nervous, as he warns the vulnerable to shop on "quiet days",Ā  keep wearing masks and spacing - he knows what's coming.Ā  Ā Ā šŸ˜·

šŸ˜„Ā  Ā Sorry, but the same Covidiots who ignore Gov, would be ignoring me; so let them stew in their own juice - like they've just discovered that large numbers of younger folk are now presenting with long covid, and will no doubt be begging for sympathy.Ā  Ā šŸ˜·

• Upvote 1

The "propaganda" as you call it, is coming from their scientific advisors,Ā  who still advise caution.Ā  Ā Boris and his backbenchers can't wait to let rip, although he's clearly realised that he's out of step with majority public opinion, which remains more cautious.Ā Ā šŸ˜·

The problem has been, all along, that the political take up of scientific advice has lagged behind the need for action;Ā  hence we've been behind the curve from the start.Ā  Ā If a little foresight is needed, just look at Holland,Ā  total relaxation = a 500% spike in infections, and now they're forced to back track.Ā  Ā Ā šŸ˜·

Just wondering if anyone knows how the NHS app works. Me and my missus each have the app on our phones. In the last few days we have not been out much, and when we have, it's been together. We had lunch out in a pub one day, each checked in about noon and left after an hour or so.Ā 

A couple of days later, she got pinged. We both took the lateral flow tests which were negative, so reluctantly she deleted the app and ignored the request to isolate.Ā 

Looking at the history on my app, it says where we checked in at the pub, but had us there till 2359 on that day.Ā 

Are we supposed to check out? If not it seems like the app is seriously flawed.Ā 

• Upvote 1

Hi Sparky, didn`t even realise you could check your venue history.

Just found it under settings and checked theĀ last venues that I checked into and they show time of exit at 23.59 like yours so I suspect yes, you must also have to check out on departure from the venue. Fortunately I`ve never been pinged as a close contact.

22 minutes ago, asperity said:

A lot of people have made a lot of money in this "pandemic" out of not fit for purpose ideas like this app. Delete it, just being in the same room as someone with Covid isn't a death sentence.

That advice is not reliable. The app is only supposed to ping in cases where the proximity does represent close contact. Your advice assumes that they were only in the same room and one of them was closer than that according to the app. Unfortunately because of the lack of co-operation from Google and Apple the app is less useful than it could have been.

It only bluetooth signals in a clumsy way. If you leave your phone on a table and one of the staff is carrying their phone with an app and comes to clear the table it can measure a very close contact but it doesn't do any checks. The sensitivity of the phones isn't taken into account and nor is anything else. The original design was better but foiled by the tech giants for no good reason.

6 minutes ago, Confused52 said:

That advice is not reliable. The app is only supposed to ping in cases where the proximity does represent close contact. Your advice assumes that they were only in the same room and one of them was closer than that according to the app. Unfortunately because of the lack of co-operation from Google and Apple the app is less useful than it could have been.

It only bluetooth signals in a clumsy way. If you leave your phone on a table and one of the staff is carrying their phone with an app and comes to clear the table it can measure a very close contact but it doesn't do any checks. The sensitivity of the phones isn't taken into account and nor is anything else. The original design was better but foiled by the tech giants for no good reason.

So it's not fit for purpose. It's causing people anxiety and inconvenience for little benefit and at great expense.

What time you left the pub makes no difference, itā€™s just a time stamp to indicate the possible infection occurred sometime after this point. It doesnā€™t mean you were infected in the pub, it could just as easily be the bus on the way home. Itā€™s pretty certain though that at some point, you were in relatively close contact with an infected person for more than a certain time.

For sure the app could have been made more accurate if Apple were a bit more forthcoming about their systems, but absolute accuracy isnā€™t the be all and end all given the proximity and length of time figures are not an exact science.

It appears the app has done it's job and you have spent quite some time near an infected person. Deleting it because you don't fully understand how it works is a bit silly.

Ā 

Bill šŸ˜Š

1 hour ago, Sparky71 said:

Surely the app "thinks" I was there till midnight. What if an infected person went in there at 10 pm whereas I left at 1pm, would it ping me? As I said we have carried out 2 home tests, all negative.Ā 

Nope, the app only records you being close to a person while you are out. you need the contact to be pinged, it doesn't just say that there had been an infected person at some time that night. So no it wouldn't have pinged you in the case you give. Remember though that the average time to give a positive test is 5 or 6 days.

I think youā€™re not quite understanding how it works Sparky. The person that went into the pub at 10pm would only get pinged if theyā€™d have sat next to the same or another infected person. If it didnā€™t work this way, everyone visiting the pub would end up being pinged.

I did a check last night by leaving my normal pub and nipping into the one next door. The log shows I was in my local from 19.15 to 19.30, then in the pub next door from 19.30 to 19.35. Finally, it was the local from 19.35 until 23.59 despite the pub closing at 21.00. Ā 

It's an imperfect solution due to a combination of technical and personal security issues but I feel happier using it rather then having to write down my details for all to see. The biggest downside to it is that most people donā€™t understand it and won't use it.

Ā 

Bill šŸ˜Š

What are all these details you have to write down for all to see Bill? I only go to one pub, one day a week, and having given my name and phone number the first time, which was written down in a book, they now only ask me to confirm my name when I go in, or not if they recognise me. The book with these "details šŸ˜" is kept behind the bar and not freely available to all and sundry. If I were so minded I'm sure I could have given them a false name and phone number at the start.

20 hours ago, asperity said:

A lot of people have made a lot of money in this "pandemic" out of not fit for purpose ideas like this app. Delete it, just being in the same room as someone with Covid isn't a death sentence.

Rephrase that asp..

same room as someone with Covid isn't Always a death sentence.