Strike Day -

observer

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is my day off as well. Schools being on strike means that I do not have a job for that day. Also means that the pupils we normally take have to stay at home so arrangements have to be made for them to be looked after by the parents or whomever they can get to look after them if THEY have to go to work. The transport people who have to take them to school will all be off as they will not have work that day and will probably not get paid either.

And that is just the schools being on strike. What amused me though was that the news articles all seemed to focus on the disruption it will cause to incoming flights and the delays that passengers may have due to longer passport checks. Simple solution to that stop all flights into and out of the country for the day, that way they will have no passengers hanging around to check and thus no concerns that illegals may get into the country.

On a plus side I get an extra lie in and if the traffic wardens join in can park anywhere without fear of a ticket.:mrgreen:

I'm not sure if the buses are part of the strike, if they are that will cause problems for me getting to work. I will have to check if I can work from home, if not I will have to either cycle the 7 miles, or claim for a taxi.

With Border Control more countries are increasingly introducing Biometric passports and there are electronic gates to automatically check them. That will help to reduce the queues as there won't be all of the manual checks. So in future we might not require as many working on passport control.

Children shouldn't have long holidays off school, which also leads to the teachers having long holidays and then they also take training days. Cut down the number of holidays they are far too high, why should other workers for example only receive 26 days holiday.

[quote

Children shouldn't have long holidays off school, which also leads to the teachers having long holidays and then they also take training days. Cut down the number of holidays they are far too high, why should other workers for example only receive 26 days holiday.

Don't tell a teacher that he/she has long holidays. He/she would be deeply offended and tell you in no uncertain terms that they still work during school holidays preparing lessons for the new term. :blink:

Don't tell a teacher that he/she has long holidays. He/she would be deeply offended and tell you in no uncertain terms that they still work during school holidays preparing lessons for the new term. :blink:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..........and lots more besides!!

some of the teachers I have on facebook are usually plastered and half naked on the beaches of Ibiza for most of the summer holidays and are posting messages about having to get back ready to plan lessons the day before school starts...

Just recently been reading facebook posts and photos from a head teacher in Manchester who was on a Caribbean cruise during term time..... they are not all the professionals they might like you to think they are!!

schools are always desperate to get works done....they really want it doing during the holidays to minimise disruption.... but can you get any of the teachers to pop in and open up or close down when the caretaker is having his holidays? I'll let you have a guess at that one! :wink:

Especially primary school teachers - they have to be sure that C-A-T still spells cat and bring themselves up to speed on any new plasticine colours. :)

I'll go on strike for you too Gary. Infact I'd take the month off :D

Wednesday's strike is bugging me now though. I couldn't care less that my bin wont be emptied and the lads off college all week anyway as it's some sort of assessment week BUT turns out he has an exam on Wednesday.

We have no idea if the college bus or other busses will be operating.. no big deal as he will get there but apparently although the tutor is going in if the caretakers dont turn up to open up or other tutors from the same department don't go in they can't do their exam.

That's NOT good as it is important and also not good as he he's had to refuse the one opportunity of a couple of days work although he is hopeful that the other grown ups who have jobs get out of bed and go in so he can hopefully pass another part of his course..... and as such will be one step closer to hopefully get an apprenticeship or a job one day too !!!

I guess that is the point that teachers are trying to make though... ie without US .. YOU may be nothing.. but in reality students could be if there were MORE opportunities around for them :?

With Border Control more countries are increasingly introducing Biometric passports and there are electronic gates to automatically check them. That will help to reduce the queues as there won't be all of the manual checks. So in future we might not require as many working on passport control.

From what I've seen the manual checks are far faster than the electronic ones. :roll:

As for reducing the number of days teachers have on holiday, they get 5 less days than they did 25 years ago.

Frankly, we're lucky we're such an ovine nation, and there arn't riots in the streets (yet). Whilst we have to accept the overall reality of an economic s**t sandwich, of which we're all going to have to take a bite; the glaringly obvious is that we're not "ALL" taking a bite, and certainly not in proportion to abilty to pay. When challenged on this point by Jon Snow (CH4 news), Danny Alexander merely said we have a 50% tax rate; wow Danny, so we've got the very people in the City who got us into this mess, plus every CEO in the Country, plus pop singers and footballers; coughing up a mere 50% of their obscene income levels. Perhaps if, everything over, say a £million per year were taxed at 99.99%, folk could have some confidence that we really are "all in it together"? :angry: