New bridge coming - at last!!!

Gary

The key here is that it will open up new land for development. It wont just be a none stop ride between two points. Expect many roundabouts and probably iights to enable said new parcels of land to be accessed. That will inevitably diminish the lessening of congestion.

New bridges... well part of me can't help thinking 'I'll believe it when I see it'.

Absolutely shocking again today trying to get though town.  It took me whopping 1 hr 5 minutes simply to get down Wilson Pattern Street (from Dunhelm to the lights near the Guardian Office).

I finally got through the lights next to the G offices, which by the way were ONLY letting 6 cars through at a time WHY ?,  and then I had no problem at all from there on getting round bridge foot island and down Chester Road to the swing bridge.  That bit took 4 minutes.  FIGURE THAT ONE OUT !!!

I've had a think about the logistics of your problem Dizzie. What you should have doneis drive to Crewe, get the train to Bank Quay, walk to Dunelm, walk back to Bank Quay, train to Crewe and drive home. Probably knock an hour or so off your journey.

Just being flippant by the way (if you hadn't already guessed :lol: )

Because there is no decent traffic management in the town. None of the lights are synced to allow maximum through put and as soon as there is a problem on the M6. tens of thousands of cars and lorries come flooding through the town.

Maybe if the town were to put tolls on Winwick Road for all except Warrington Residents, it may stop some of it :)

If the two promised bridges appeared tomorrow, apart from less traffic at Bridge Foot it wouldn't make such a deal of difference, depending on where the rerouted traffic was dumped it might even be worse for some areas.

With the river, the ship canal, the tangle of motorways surrounding it and a local road network that happened at random as the town developed, Warrington has been dealt a lousy hand of traffic cards and that's the unfortunate reality of it.

I have to wonder if the Bridge Foot easement scheme has more to do with making the area more attractive to developers and opening up fresh sites for the same...

• Upvote 2

New bridges... well part of me can't help thinking 'I'll believe it when I see it'.

Absolutely shocking again today trying to get though town.  It took me whopping 1 hr 5 minutes simply to get down Wilson Pattern Street (from Dunhelm to the lights near the Guardian Office).

I finally got through the lights next to the G offices, which by the way were ONLY letting 6 cars through at a time WHY ?,  and then I had no problem at all from there on getting round bridge foot island and down Chester Road to the swing bridge.  That bit took 4 minutes.  FIGURE THAT ONE OUT !!!

Dizzy, should have parked at Riverside and walked :) !!!!

Part of the problem with the Bridge Foot is the two bridges make a roundabout and just like on Winwick Rd the traffic lights let the traffic go before it is cleared so it grid locks itself.

I have to wonder if the Bridge Foot easement scheme has more to do with making the area more attractive to developers and opening up fresh sites for the same...

You too!

Anyone work out where it will start/finish?

Dizzy, should have parked at Riverside and walked :) !!!!

:lol: :lol: :P 

Re Winwick Road yes that was bad too when I came back towards town that way earlier yesterday.  While stick in the traffic there I noticed a sign on the old camping shop that's up for sale (opposite the college) which said

"OVER 30,000 vehicles pass here EVERY DAY".  Surely not but if that is true no wonder it's always chocker there too.

So back to the new high level bridge......

I can't work out where it's starting or finishing either and can't find anything on line which gives any clues.  Surely if they have secured funding for it there MUST be a proposal and some plans somewhere even if it's only a draft plan... so where is it and why aren't they saying and giving any other details?

All a bit odd but maybe there will be some compulsory purchases along the route or something and they don't want people to realise...

:lol: :lol: :P 

Re Winwick Road yes that was bad too when I came back towards town that way earlier yesterday.  While stick in the traffic there I noticed a sign on the old camping shop that's up for sale (opposite the college) which said

"OVER 30,000 vehicles pass here EVERY DAY".  Surely not but if that is true no wonder it's always chocker there too.

IN 2013 it was 26,000, it was 29,000 in 2004 but since then traffic levels have been falling, although congestion seems to be going up in Warrington seems to be increasing which shows how good a job the traffic and highways department are doing.

Stats available here

http://www.dft.gov.uk/traffic-counts/area.php?region=North+West&la=Warrington

can anyone think why there was such a big jump between 2005 and 2008 in traffic?

so from the crem to the cromwell avenue junction following the mersey path and forest way. so more chaos at the lights at the junction of cromwell avenue.

so not just one new bridge at high level but at least four other bridges as well to get there.

should prove interesting to see what housing goes up afterwards. probably afffordable ones at a guess :mrgreen:

so from the crem to the cromwell avenue junction following the mersey path and forest way. so more chaos at the lights at the junction of cromwell avenue.

so not just one new bridge at high level but at least four other bridges as well to get there.

should prove interesting to see what housing goes up afterwards. probably afffordable ones at a guess :mrgreen:

Not to mention the loss of a big part of sankey valley and other green space - seems to be a lot of housing planned all the way affectively a big housing estate between walton and sankey

IN 2013 it was 26,000, it was 29,000 in 2004 but since then traffic levels have been falling, although congestion seems to be going up in Warrington seems to be increasing which shows how good a job the traffic and highways department are doing.

Stats available here

http://www.dft.gov.uk/traffic-counts/area.php?region=North+West&la=Warrington

can anyone think why there was such a big jump between 2005 and 2008 in traffic?

Perhaps a touch of creative advertising on the part of the camping shop ?

• 3 weeks later...

So a step forward today, well a signature anyway.... front page news

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/20405/1/New-bridges-deal-to-be-signed-today/Page1.html

I still don't really get the benefits of a new bridge if part of the reason is to enable the opening up of a vast area of development land in the same area for thousands of new houses etc too.  More houses = even more cars = more traffic on the roads.

Guess we will just have to wait and see and I'm sure they know what they are doing.

I wouldn't take any notice of what Wire FM says if I was you Evils.  On Tuesday morning just before 7am we were just about to pull out towards the direction of Chester Road swing bridge when over the radio came the dreaded words from wire fm saying 'Chester Road swing bridge is out'  followed by 'Stockton heath Swing Bridge will be out in 5 minutes time'

Now that is NOT what you want to hear when you have a train to catch.  Panic set in and no point trying to detour and catch SH bridge before that one went off but then we both noticed that Chester Road bridge WASN'T closed at all.  So over it we went and my son looked up the canal and there in the distance was the boat, it hadn't got here yet.  The so called 5 minutes until the other bridge closed was wrong too as I drove to the station, dropped our lad off, went for some petrol, came back down Wilderspool and then the SH one went off.

How completely unhelpul is that to morotists but I guess they must get the times of the councils alerts so perhaps it's not all the radio stations fault and maybe the ship was slow or something.

Wire FM always get the road works and traffic congestion updates wrong too, the other week they said severe traffic congestion on Chester Road and at Brian Bevan Island but I was driving along it at the time and it was absolutely fine, then days later they said no traffic issues in Warrington and all roads flowing fin.... so why was I sat there stuck in traffic for ages while listening to them for so long then ?

Perhaps as well as two new bridges we could have a local FM radio station that is actually 'local' and run by local people who actually see, know and care what's going on :wink:

Wire FM (Or Advert FM as we affectionately call it) is about as local to Warrington as some of our MP's are to the constituencies they represent and is now based in Wigan from what I understand....which is where Wish FM are based and as you probably know; they share the same playlists for most of the time

It used to be local and based on Long Lane Business Park and was independent from what I can gather until it was bought out or merged into a larger group

We do need a local radio station; a proper local station for local people :)

Unless I'm reading that map wrong, it looks like there's no new bridge crossing the Mersey rather a change to the road layout to allow traffic to use the two lessor used bridges.

Or have I got this completely wrong???

Bill :)

If you look again Bill and follow the green line (from the swing bridge and line going up Chester Road) there is one NEW bridge crossing the Mersey just above the '41'. 

It crosses over towards where the old buildings are at the far end of Centre Parks then the route meets up with the traffic from the existing blue bridge that also goes over to Centre Parks. 

Madness if you ask me as both these routes are shown as going down Slutchers Lane (small road and already congested with parked cars from businesses and over spill from the new station car park along there).   There does also seem to be an additional new road route over the existing blue bridge and behind the current buildings which goes to Slutchers/Winmarleigh but also branches off to meet Winmarleigh at a second point.  My brain cell is saying that Winmarleigh Street is already a bottle neck and very congested so how is diverting all the traffic to two points along there going to make a huge amount of difference to anyone trying to get over to that side of Warrington.as traffic will still get stuck that road.   OK so it I guess people trying to go that way wont be going all the way up Chester Road and over Bridge Foot though.... I think I still will as it may well turn out to be easier that joining at the new junctions :lol:  

The other NEW bridge (high level) highlighted in blue doesn't cross the mersey as you correctly say but crosses over the Manchester Ship Canal, then across Baronet Road where the old houses are next to Solvay and bugger me RIGHT across Morley Common !!  Err hang on a minute there are houses right near there and some have only just been built.  I bet they wont be happy !!

PS I've overlayed the proposed route map, a modern day map and also a google aerial modern map and can turn each on or off....it's all makes a little more sense to me that way however trying to explain it all is a different matter :lol: