Lost Pubs of Warrington

Graz

The Legh Arms

Approximate position of the Legh Arms in todays world, along Mersey St just past the job centre building.

LeghArmsnow_zps799db659.jpg

Graz it was in Mersey Street at the bottom of Rose & Crown Street, I have marked your photo and the map under it should help get your bearings. The shop on the right, boarded up was Douglas Gandy's the clog maker.

legh-arms_zps89edda9f.jpg

ScreenShot025_zps9ae9d7b1.jpg

The Prince of Wales

Imagining where this one was is easier to place due to the distinctive curved fronted building  that was once Ryland's Labs.  Opposite the petrol station entrance at Sainsbury's.   It's a pity its just grassy nothingness now.

Princeofwalesnow_zpsb251f90f.jpg

Cleo, your not going to believe this, before uploading the above map I had marked one showing the plot that you have marked with an 'X' on School Brow but decided it was wrong and so marked the above map in Gaskell street, what a plonker!, anyway I'm glad you identified it as you seemed to be the only person on here to remember seeing the pub, Well done Florence. :D:wink:

I have redone the map with your markings

PrinceofWalesSchoolBrow_zps91eafe68.jpg.

I remember every saturday night my dad would send me from our home on knutsford road neaer victoria park, to the newspaper seller outside the packet house for a' 'pink one;'';which contained all the football results and match reports as far as i remember .Does anyone else remember this paper and paperman outside this pub

I remember every saturday night my dad would send me from our home on knutsford road neaer victoria park, to the newspaper seller outside the packet house for a' 'pink one;'';which contained all the football results and match reports as far as i remember .Does anyone else remember this paper and paperman outside this pub

Yes i remember that Nabber... it always made me wonder how they managed to get it printed & out on the streets so quick .

The Roebuck, 120 Bridge Street, now a bar/nightclub. this Inn is mentioned in a 1794 Trade Directory of Warrington. (Photo-credit to John Hillier-Smyth).

TheRoebuckBridgeStreet_zps6c3dfc72.jpg

1890 - 1900 photo of the Roebuck, the building between the 'Singer's' sign and the clock.

Roebuck1890_zpsa8a930a5.jpg

The Roebuck

The Roebuck, 120 Bridge Street, now a bar/nightclub. this Inn is mentioned in a 1794 Trade Directory of Warrington. (Photo-credit to John Hillier-Smyth).

TheRoebuckBridgeStreet_zps6c3dfc72.jpg

1890 - 1900 photo of the Roebuck, the building between the 'Singer's' sign and the clock.

Roebuck1890_zpsa8a930a5.jpg

Here is my pic of the Roebuck from the 70's, in Greenalls livery.  No wide angle lenses for me then, hence couldn't get a front on shot like the modern photo. I had forgotten the Halfords shop was next door.

The-Roebuck_zps35e25a4f.jpg

Graz, I am so pleased that you took that photo, That's the Roebuck as I remember it, I took my son and nephew to see the film "Convoy" at the Ritz and called for a swift pint before going in, I asked the landlord if it would be OK to take the lad's in and he really made them welcome, needless to say my son couldn't wait to tell his mum that he'd been in a pub, she played 'Hell' with me for taking them in.

Got engaged in the Roebuck (didn't work lol) when Mike and Marlene Cleary had it.

Latchford Locks - never heard of either of those two - used to collect on the estate behind the Imperial and don't recall any other pubs there unless you count the Dolphin Hotel as was. Lots of property demolished in what was called Old Bewsey then though...

Peridot

Yes Algy I wouldn't say they didn't exist - my knowledge of that estate goes back nearly 40 years even though by then many of the old streets had gone and inhabitants  gone to Orford or the post - War new Bewsey estates, Lovely Lane, Dallam etc. I am sure I would have known the Bewsey Inn as it was far easier for me to find a pub at lunchtime when collecting than to go home to Penketh and then back into Warrington.

Peridot

Strangely enough I have heard of the Bewsey inn.  Was told that it was where the Thai bar was on Bewsey road but have no recollection of there ever being a pub there. Will ask around whilst walking the dog today, some of the people I bump into may know a bit more as they are of an age that may have come across it. Failing that will ask me mam as she was brought up in the area so will more than likely know where abouts it was.

You've cracked it there Sid and now I do remember it. I think it was on Bewsey Road and in one of the houses the steelworks side of Cooper's Shop, more or less opposite Greenings. It might have been either 8 or 10 Bewsey Road and when I called there I think it was owned by a family called Riley. Notable for me as I was collecting there when I first heard of John Lennon's death. Think it is still there though don't know it's current usage.

Peridot

Strangely enough I have heard of the Bewsey inn.  Was told that it was where the Thai bar was on Bewsey road but have no recollection of there ever being a pub there. Will ask around whilst walking the dog today, some of the people I bump into may know a bit more as they are of an age that may have come across it. Failing that will ask me mam as she was brought up in the area so will more than likely know where abouts it was.

Wasn't the Dolphin there Sid?