Lost Pubs of Warrington

Graz

Algy,

Apologies for the delay,   (I've had internet provider problems), unfortunately I don't recall the Ship Inn and the Green Man pubs,  I will look through the negatives over the next few days but I think they might have gone before my time.

Regards,

Graz 

The Packet House

This pub is well documented on the internet,  I wonder if it will be obliterated when the area gets re-developed

PacketHousenow_zps49898d94.jpg

A not high quality of it in the 70's.  One thing you do notice between 'now' and 'then' is just how much street clutter there is these days,  yesteryear was much tidier ! 

Packet-House_zps0f690ddb.jpg

Graz, thanks for the Packet house, brilliant!, that is the first descent picture I have seen of it as a Greenalls pub, so right about the lack of signs etc. and doesn't look so much better!, I reckon you must have taken that on a Sunday or bank holiday as there is a distinct lack of traffic and looks to be about mid-day, shadows short and sun from the south of the town. Interesting to note the pub has a potential for 18 windows, 4 were bricked up during construction to be opened up at a later date, this dates the pub as pre 1851 as the Window Tax was repealed in that year ( Window Tax 1696 - 1851).

This photo shows the alterations carried out to the Packet house over the years.

Door added to the south facing wall in Mersey street.

The original atractive corner entrance removed and made into a double window.

Shop on Bridge Street incorporated into the pub, probably a 'Beer Retailers' (later known as 'Off License).

ScreenShot001_zps52b26153.jpg

Great pictures Graz and Algy.   Do either of you know what the 4 storey building was to the right of the Packet House in both your older photos?

Tracey.... sad story about the little boy. :( 

........ and your reply to Cleo really made me giggle (sorry Cleo as I know you are not that ancient)   :lol:

I'll have you know Cleo is old enough to be you grandmother. Maybe great grandmother.

Hang on a minute are we talking about Cleo, the seductive, sultry Cleo, or Cleo 'Florence' here. :unsure:

Dizz. 1890 it was Thomas Stanley Carter a Corn Merchant, A typical multi storey corn merchants building. Also occupying the same building were Thomas Allen & Son, Plumbers.

At least 5 years.

Whichever he was he seemed pretty old to me in my young innocence.

It appears these days that Drs are retiring in their late 50's, but, I do know of one doctor who was so old he had little patience for his patients and was far to outspoken to them. No-one liked seeing him and in the end the other doctors in the practice forced him out because they were getting too many complaints about him.

Ooh sorry Baz somehow I missed that :oops:

Yes that how I remember it more than how it was shown on the other pic that was posted.  It's the black shed bit on the side that I remember the most for some reason.  Thanks for that :)

The Broad Oak

This is on the A57 heading out from Great Sankey on the left just before the Trigger Pond (on the right).

Broadoaknow_zps19b351fa.jpg

As was,  The Broad Oak,  with the limited view you get from the road now, you would never guess this used to be a pub.

Broad-Oak_zps08d4a09f.jpg

Ooh sorry Baz somehow I missed that :oops:

Yes that how I remember it more than how it was shown on the other pic that was posted.  It's the black shed bit on the side that I remember the most for some reason.  Thanks for that :)

This bit?

541483_432549366833070_1473933231_n.jpg

Algy,  

Once again your illuminating maps hit the spot,  it looks like the Legh Arms was along Mersey St. somewhere in between the Victoria Vaults and the Packet House.  I'll get my bearings and take a 'now' pic for posterity.

Once again thanks,

Graz