Lost Pubs of Warrington

Graz

Can anyone remember the name of the pub that was at the corner of Orchard Street and Church Street or have a photo? - a friend of mine ran a motorcycle business from the buildng in later years...

Peridot

Peri I'm not aware of any pubs on the corner of  Orchard St & Church St, the only one close to Orchard St is the General Wolfe, at the top end of Orchard St on the corner is the Manx Arms.

map_zpsfef0322b.jpg

Thanks Algy - it would have been the square building 8th to the left of the General Wolfe on the corner of Orchard St looking down on your map. Further down Orchard Street were Noblett & Underwood's yard and Podmore's Scrapyard. It was the opposite end to the Manx Arms.

Peridot

Thanks Algy - it would have been the square building 8th to the left of the General Wolfe on the corner of Orchard St looking down on your map. Further down Orchard Street were Noblett & Underwood's yard and Podmore's Scrapyard. It was the opposite end to the Manx Arms.

Peridot

peri, I'll do some more hunting and hopefully get back to you.

The property you are referring to on the corner of Orchard Street and Church Street was No. 68 Church Street and in in 1890 was occupied by Walter John Hewitt a beer retailer, a business that in later times was known as an Off Licence, so I would assume that is what your relative was doing, selling beer over the counter to be removed from the premisses and consumed at home, totally different than a public house, and that is why i couldn't find any pub in Church Street on that corner.

The 'Beer House' Act.

In 1830 another act, the so-called ‘Beer House Act’, permitted almost anyone to brew and sell beer and cider from almost anywhere. For two guineas a year, virtually anyone assessed to the poor rate, could obtain an Excise Licence to sell beer from their own dwelling. There was no distinction between an ‘on’, or an ‘off’, sale. To make this even more inviting, the same act removed all duty on beer. Whilst attempting to control the disturbing rise in the consumption of spirits, the act back-fired badly, and led to the creation of thousands of disorderly drinking establishments. These were often nicknamed ‘Swankey houses’ as they sold weaker, so-called ‘Swankey’ beer, or ‘Tom & Jerry’ shops after two characters from ‘Life in London’, a best-selling novel of the late 1820s (George Cruikshank’s ‘Corinthian Tom’ and ‘Jerry Hawthorn’.

churchstreet_zps5733d954.jpg

Can anyone remember the name of the pub that was at the corner of Orchard Street and Church Street or have a photo? - a friend of mine ran a motorcycle business from the buildng in later years...

Peridot

Wasn't there a Brickmaker's Arms up that way ?

The Brickmakers Arms

I was about to post this just before Wavydavy made his request.  There have been a few attempts to resurrect this as a drinking establishment, but it looks like its in terminal decline.  At the back of Sainbury's, on the corner of Hopwood St.  (the entrance to where Staples is) 

Brickmakersnow_zps7c28dbd3.jpg

A rather poor quality out of focus shot of it when it was the Brickmakers Arms.  Looks like it had some modifications to the gable ends over the years for some reason.

Brickmakers-arms_zps9b663074.jpg

Algy,

Thanks for that one. I was getting ready to post one of the Old Blue Back Inn, but you beat me to it !  (yours is a better quality image anyway).   I had intended to make all the picture posts 'now' and 'then', because others have commented its useful because the memory sometimes plays tricks on where you thought things were.  For this pub I was struggling to think where it was so I haven't got a 'now' picture yet.  H Wells site says its on the corner of Allen St. so I guess its somewhere under the new Midland way road that runs along the railway, making a 'now' picture a bit difficult anyway !  

I have some other pictures that I honestly can't remember where they were taken.  I would be grateful if you or others could shed light on where they were, so as I can get a 'now' picture for historical record.

regards,

Graz

My first thought wasOff Manchester road near Morley street, between that and the old Rylands theatre.  Possibly Whalley street if memory serves.

They had some wonderful pictures of old Warrington rugby league and tourist teams on the walls.

On reflection,  may have been by the Regent cinema, just off Horsemarket street.

Happy days

Last Landlord of the Railway in Milner Street was Nat Silcock who went there from the Cock and Trumpet after it closed. The Prince of Wales was opposite the Cemetery Main gates and down a little side street off Church Street /Manchester Road at the side of Rylands/Whitecross Works - Last Landlord was Bobby Wanbon. I used to call at the terraced houses in the background for insurance premiums which were so tall as there was an extra floor as they had once been used for Fustian Cutting. I remember roaring fires and the smell of fish cooking on a Friday tea - time.

Peridot