IMGP2052.jpg

Outside our house in Bold Street

IMGP2051.jpg

The start of my electronics career

IMGP2050.jpg

My sis again 3rd from right

IMGP2048.jpg

These would all be around 64-66 i think

Darren, the Laporte magazine brought memories flooding back, the bottom picture in the first photo, the couple on the right hand side are a Mr and Mrs Buckley who were our neighbours in Baronet Road, I think he was a mechanical engineer at Baronet works, I lived there from 1951 to 1962 when I got married, my dads clock number was No.1. As Harry would say "Happy Days".

Darren, the Laporte magazine brought memories flooding back, the bottom picture in the first photo, the couple on the right hand side are a Mr and Mrs Buckley who were our neighbours in Baronet Road, I think he was a mechanical engineer at Baronet works, I lived there from 1951 to 1962 when I got married, my dads clock number was No.1. As Harry would say "Happy Days".

My Dad worked at Laportes for a short time , not sure why he has that page unless i or my sister are in one of the pics

Wonderful photo's although I'm not sure if I'd have wanted that 'Baronet Hitler' chap giving me first aid if I'd have had a mishap as he looks very weird :lol: . 

You look a cheeky little imp by the way, were you ? :lol:

Seems in those days companies made more of an effort to tell their staff what was happening throughout the workforce and to give kids xmas parties and fun days.  I guess kids didn't get a lot then so it must have meant an awful lot to them at the time.

In a box upstairs (somewhere) I have a pile of similar booklets from another company where my mums uncle Joe used to work in Latchford probably around the same time.  For the life of me I can't remember what it was called but I think they were one of the first to sell cookers.

Damn that will annoy me now and I'll have to look for that tomorrow now.  Like yours it's full of pictures of work news, events and many other things.

Thanks for posting those as they were lovely to see and I hope you've got plenty more to come :)

Wonderful photo's although I'm not sure if I'd have wanted that 'Baronet Hitler' chap giving me first aid if I'd have had a mishap as he looks very weird :lol: . 

You look a cheeky little imp by the way, were you ? :lol:

Seems in those days companies made more of an effort to tell their staff what was happening throughout the workforce and to give kids xmas parties and fun days.  I guess kids didn't get a lot then so it must have meant an awful lot to them at the time.

In a box upstairs (somewhere) I have a pile of similar booklets from another company where my mums uncle Joe used to work in Latchford probably around the same time.  For the life of me I can't remember what it was called but I think they were one of the first to sell cookers.

Damn that will annoy me now and I'll have to look for that tomorrow now.  Like yours it's full of pictures of work news, events and many other things.

Thanks for posting those as they were lovely to see and I hope you've got plenty more to come :)

I was a pretty shy kid  , never left my mums side apparently . Fortunately you can't see me now lol .

My Dad was on about a place called The Tower earlier , a club ? He also backed the Nolan sisters in their early years in (I think) The St Marys club ?

He worked with David Whitfield too

I was a pretty shy kid  , never left my mums side apparently . Fortunately you can't see me now lol .

My Dad was on about a place called The Tower earlier , a club ?

The shy ones always turn out the worst :wink::lol:

If you're talking the 60's I seem to remember reading/hearing something about a place called 'The Tower' and I think it might have been down near the old Academy Building on Bridge Street.  Not sure if it was a club or more an eating place or if it's the one your dad remembers. 

I'm sure Algy, Harry, Peter, Victor and the other slightly more mature party goers on here will know where your dad means though. 

In the first picture, it has Danny Cunningham. He was the nurse/medic. Nice chap. The Dr mentioned in the article was Harry Thompson. He had a practice in Town somewhere.

Algy, when did you live in Baronet Rd? I started there in '76.

Small world Baz!, we lived at No.7, Danny was a good friend of my dad's, and Doc Thompson was our family doctor, Mrs algy thought he was the best doctor in the world and still does, I was talking to him in Morrisons a few months back and mentally he is still as 'bright as a button' although physically he' not too good, but Hey! he is in his eighties and still mobile, so thats not so bad then.

Wonder if the "tower club" could have been the tower theatre in bewsey that adjoined the playing fields of bewsey school. Think it is now called towers court after they built houses on it.

Many years ago I nearly bought one of those houses on Towers Court, but the surveyor had heard that the whole thing was built on an old water course that hadn't been filled in properly and he had a hole dug in the back yard, next day it was half full of water...

Needless to say, I didn't buy it.

Don't suppose you remember a small lake in the area do you?

Darren, your dad might find this interesting as you mentioned his music.  I just happened to come across it on Warrington Museums revamped website.

It's caled "Mods and Rockers Warrington 1960's" and some chaps (including the 'Longford Lover' ) are recalling their memories and there's a lot about the music scene, local bands, dance halls, and other memories about Warrington.  The Tower Labour Club at Bewsey is also briefly mentioned (8mins 53 secs in)

PS, It's 40 minutes long   :wink:

Rather than posting the direct link to the video Ill post the Museum's webpage  ......  just scroll down then click "Mods and Rockers: Warrington 1960's"

http://www.warringtonmuseum.co.uk/local-history/

Don't suppose you remember a small lake in the area do you?

Can't say that I remember a lake in the area. There is a catchment place at bewsey locks and a small area up near where I live between the brook and the canal. The only other places that held water were the basements of the old airbase buildings, an ideal place for frogs newts and sticklebacks fishing when I was a nipper.

The only lake that I remember may be the Base reservoir which was more or less opposite the tobacco houses and the foundations of which may still be there and was the reason that the railway line was relaid into the Base along with fuel oil for the boiler house. Has anyone ever seen photos of a train on this Branch?...Thanks

Peridot

• 3 weeks later...
Beat me to it dizzy. Was going to say the Tower was a club somewhere in Bewsey.

I seem to remember that; as The Towers Club : Sandie Shaw appeared there in the early/mid sixties it was was part of a tie up with Batley Variety Club ( A BIG name in those days) in which top line artistes were shared between the two clubs.

• 2 weeks later...
Two pints of mild for the Longford Lover, I remember it well at Appleton Rugby Union Club.

Now this man has got hundreds of photos of himself withe the likes of the Beatles and the Stones.

By the way it's Longford, Ireland.

Friday night Disco with Kelvin Mainwaring on the door? I was going to say that I remember it well, but many's the time that I fell over on the back pitch in a state of total oblivion as a 16-18 year old.