The idiots are already queing at the pumps.

algy

Though it was Maude the cabinet man who said to fill jerry cans with fule and not Cameron :wink: Wont get many miles out of one jerry can though so I wonder how many may stockpile cans and fuel in their garages, outhouses or even car boots 'just incase'. Scarey thought :shock:

Like Algy says though panic buying has already started and apparently the queues into Morrisons petrol station near us have been mad for the past few days and have been blocking the nearby roads and entrance.

We went to Lymm services station this morning and no queues but half of the diesel pumps were out of order :roll:

Filled half a tank today opposite the hospital OK.

As for the tanker drivers, if they strike they should be sacked..... no one should be able to jeopordise anothers job by taking selfish strike action

Plenty unemployed to take their place

I disagree 100% with that comment. Anyone entrusted with a position that could dramatically affect the livelihoods or even lives of others should have it written into their contract that such action is not allowed. In fact I’d say laws should be passed to prevent this sort of thing in key industries.

Bill :)

At least they have let us know that they are going to strike and when. It is not like the thatcher days when a strike would be called at two minutes notice. Nor is it like the French who blockade the ports at the slightest provocation.

Was the joke once that somebody commented that the sun had come out and the miners had come pout in sympathy.

Must admit though that it was a bit stupid of the man to say what he did, wonder how much he got from the fuel companies for that gem :wink:

Removal of "the right to strike" is tantamount to slavery; and the protection of wages and conditions against exploitation, was why Unions were created in the first place. The Police don't have the right to strike (not yet anyway!) and look how they're being treated. We know it's terribly inconvenient for us all, and spoils our usual routines; but there are two parties to this dispute, so if you want to offer blame; blame the employers too. :roll:

To me it seems very irresponsible for the government to suggest that the public go & panic buy fuel...hang on though, when supply & demand forces prices up how much extra tax will the government rake in ? I think you are only allowed to store so much at home or it can be confiscated.

Regarding the tanker drivers & various views on industrial relations...has anyone on here noticed the latest bandwagon that a lot of companies have jumped on ,namely zero or negative pay deals with various strings attached to benefit the company.I know that union power in the past has been too strong & aggressive but they are still needed & it would be perilous to write them off.

“Slavery” don’t make me laugh these people are nobodies slaves, they’re well paid (£45,000 on average) but just happen to be in a position to make demands and hold the entire country to ransom. Let’s be honest, we’ve lost countless lives fighting overseas just to maintain the stability of our oil supplies so to allow something like this to go ahead would be tantamount to paying in blood money.

As for the foot in mouth comments, make of it what you will but people will panic buy as soon as there’s a sniff of any shortage, especially on something like fuel.

Bill :)

“Slavery” don’t make me laugh these people are nobodies slaves, they’re well paid (£45,000 on average)

A figure issued by the Conservative publicity department.

According to the National Salary Database the salary for UK tanker drivers ranges between £19,354 and £40,647, based on 2010 data. The upper figure is for the minority of drivers still employed directly by larger oil and distribution companies. The lower figure is for the majority of drivers who work for smaller sub-contracting companies, working a 48 hour week.

£47,000 and you think they should retain the right to strike???

Most petrol tanker drivers will only drive within a radius of 60 miles or so from the nearest refinery or storage plant, so hardly long distance lorry driver stuff....