The idiots are already queing at the pumps.

algy

Nope! it can happen to any car with a mild steel pressed and welded fuel tank.

Guess neither of ours cars must have those then or they certainly wouldn't have lasted so well all these years with us in control of them ... phew :D:lol:

We must remember to never buy a car with a cheap tat 'mild steel pressed and welded fuel tank' though. Is that shown on the spec or the log book ? :lol::wink:

Don't joke about things like that Obs cos if any of the muppets are reading they may suddenly start doing that too :shock::roll::wink::lol:

First thing tomorrow morning I'm off to Walton Res. with me' four water butts in me' trailer to prepare for the drought! :D :grin:

The common sense advice if you want good mpg is not to drive about with a full tank because of the additional weight and that makes good sense if you’re only doing local runs. For me though, most of the time that’s just not practical as I do fairly high mileage so it’s better for me to fill up where I can get a good price rather than keep having to stop every five minutes.

As for rusty tanks, I think that might have been the case in the past when cars generally rusted away quite rapidly but these days everything’s pretty well galvanised.

Bill :)

So how come our two non modern fuel tanks have stood the test of time and red lights for all these years. :unsure:

Anyway, regardless of that, I was sent these from my sister today (second one sounds good and I think we've beeen doing that for the past two days anyway hence my fuzzy head :D:oops: )

photo1-1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

Regarding the problem with some tanks. In the past, all tanks were as described - pressed steel with welded seams. There was always some condensation when fuel ran low, but it takes a long time for anything to show to the driver or, in fact, to a mechanic. I have experienced tanks which had corroded across the top, which doesn't show at all, the fuel evaporates through the weak parts and there is a smell of petrol which is almost impossible to trace until someone actually sees it dripping. By this time it is too late to do much about it.

On the thread, I have, luckily, been off work for two weeks and not put any fuel in my van for that time. I always keep it above half full and will top it up when it gets below that, but not up to the top as that can cause other problems, especially when the weather warms up again. The fuel expands and sloshes out around roundabouts - ask any biker when he or she last skidded and what on!

So how come our two non modern fuel tanks have stood the test of time and red lights for all these years?

Because young lady, you're still just a little a little chick compared to old boilers like me and certainly far too young to remember the type of cars I'm on about.

What you call an old car, for me is quite modern and certainly a huge leap in quality when compared to what we had back in the 60's & 70's. Just to give you some idea, my first two cars were sent to the scrap yard with less than 50,000 miles on the clock due to severe rust issues. Both were just about six years old.

Bill :)

What you call an old car, for me is quite modern and certainly a huge leap in quality when compared to what we had back in the 60's & 70's. Just to give you some idea, my first two cars were sent to the scrap yard with less than 50,000 miles on the clock due to severe rust issues. Both were just about six years old.

Just passed you at the lights on Sankey Way Bill... you were on the inside lane ambling in your rusty old Alfa.... :D

My Corsair is now 45 years old and has a metal fuel tank and isn't rusty (not too much anyway!!) Coming up to 2,800 miles now!! :wink:

I received this by email,so I can't say if it's all true but it sounds like sensible advice::

TIPS ON PUMPING PETROL

I don't know what you guys are paying for petrol.... I am paying up to £1.35 to £1.50 per litre. My line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every Litre:

Here at the Shell Pipeline where I work , we deliver about 4 million litres in a 24-hour period .. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and petrol, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 Litres.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the petrol, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your litre is not exactly a litre. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your Petrol tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is the more Petrol you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. petrol storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the Petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every litre is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a petrol truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy Petrol, DO NOT fill up; most likely the petrol is being stirred up as the Petrol is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

To have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Petrol buyers. It's really simple to do.

I'm sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)...and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached overTHREE MILLION consumers !!!!!!! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!

If It goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!