Parr Hall wrestling

harry hayes

Thought I would enjoy a selfish trip down memory lane, re the wrestling at the Parr Hall circa 1950. All invited particularly any older ones.

The Parr Hall wasn't a very popular place with young people.. Possibly the only time you went there was from school to sit through 2 hours of the Halle orchestra.

When the wrestling started up it was immensely popular being one of the first things to fill the post war entertainment void. I remember in 1956 being one of two PC's directed for crowd control. Ring-side seats being very much in demand. The queue stretched all the way to Bold street.

Jack Pye ran the show and he was the dirtiest wrestler ever - the crowd loved to boo him. On two occasions when he finished an opponent off, a female admirer, probably his wife, came ring-side and presented her hero with a vase of flowers which Jack promptly poured into the losers shorts. Really scandalous behaviour in those days.

Angel face Joe Batten was another favourite. Quite skilful, but he used to cry(apparently), when he lost. Joe was a lovely fellow, believe it or not still wrestling in his 60s.

Other favourites at the time were Jack Pye's brothers; Man mountain Benny; Big bomber Bates; Massambula; Francis Gregory the Warrington second rower. Jack Beaumont and the local Millmans weren't all that popular with the young ones cos they were skilful fighters and didn't play to the audience.

Later came Count Bartelli; Bert Asseratti; Billy two rivers and a host of others.

An old penny bus ride and perhaps two bob took you to a place of magic and helped to re-imburse you with some of the things that the war and austerity had inflicted on society..

I'll stop there, as one man's nostalgia can soon become anothers boredom. Would be pleased if anyone could pass comment on some of the wrestlers mentioned.

Happy days

I worked with Mick Millman, he was a joiner by trade who lived at Northway. Also Warringtons Boy Wonder, not sure of his name, was it Steve Wright from Dallam?

I told the story on here of one of the wrestlers of the time, who came to the aid of a water bailiff on the Bridgy. His wrestling name was Dick The Doormouse.

The dirtier fighter the better for me H, I'm afraid. Les Kellet being one of my favourites. Not dirty but just so funny to watch. Oh, and that famous Jacky Pallow strut, when he floored his opponent it was designed to get the crowd going.

And who was the bloke who came on as a ballet dancer? He'd do a pirouhette across the ring, slap his opponent across the face before the bell, then spin away again before he could get hold of him. Hahaaaaaa, great stuff.

Bert Rhodes was another Warrington lad in the game. They had the veg shop on the junction of Lilford avenue? Longshaw street at Bewsey.

I recon you all (ie Harry, Algy, Wingnut, Stallard12 and others) should all join together and write a joint book of all your memoirs... I'd certainly buy one.

Fascinating recollections of the past always from you all not to mention humerous too at times :wink:

You really should all do it !

Nostalgia, surely it's a good thing Harry? Maybe one day someone will be waxing lyrical about 'The Skittles', right now they do nothing for me, but who knows. The past always appears better, so why not remember it?

Dizzy, I have been forwarding individual tales to Gordon starting today, lots more in the future. His wastepaper basket is probably full to the brim at this moment !! I bet he wishes he'd never said anything.

Thankyou Dizzy - most of my recollections have already been written.

Stallard. I like nostalgia - life as it was with all the ruts and pot-holes removed.

Wing-nut, you young pup, TV was a far off invention in Jack Pye's day. Agree about Les Kellet - a good wrestler but an excellent entertainer. Still like to watch the "wrestling" on Sky sports, although that is nearly all talk these days.

Best wishes Happy days

• 1 year later...

Not realising this was an old thread I thought wingnut had returned from nowhere.

Anyone found out what has happened to him yet?

In my younger days I went to watch the wrestling at the Parr Hall. Billy Two Rivers fascinated me, epecially when he did his war dance. I fancied the pants off him.

I think Jackie Pallow was the dirtiest wrestler going. People loved to hate him and Mick Mcmanus.

You just knew when Les Kellet was wrestling there would be a lot of laughter.

Wasn't there a young deaf wrestler from Warrington?

I remember an elderly woman one night at the Parr Hall coming to the ring and hitting one of the wrestlers with her handbag. Wasn't sure if she was for real or if it was staged.

Those were the days when wrestling was wrestling. The american wrestling on tv thses days is little more than bar room brawling. Very little wrestling, just a downright anything goes bar fighting.

Cleopatra-Yes there was a deaf and dumb wrestler from Warrington and I think his name was Steve Wright. I used to help in putting up the rings and got to know some of the wrestlers. Of the ones you mention Jackie Pallo and Les Kellett are dead sadly although Mick McManus is still going strong at 86 and Billy Two Rivers at 77!! Other well known faces like Steve Logan and Alan Dennison are also unfortunately dead too.

Peridot :)

Never saw this thread when it was started but I have an amusing story regarding the wrestling at the Parr Hall that my dear old dad told me many times when I was a kid....

My dads' brother; Frank was doing his national service and he was based somewhere in North Wales (possibly Chester) and both him and my dad used to go to see the wrestling when they were on leave. On one occasion, they were sat in the audience, but Frank was concious that he had to get the last train from Bank Quay to Chester back to barracks.... unfortunately they were going to miss the end of the show, but that was just one of those things. The last bout they saw ended when one of the wrestlers was "seriously injured" and had to be taken from the ring on a stretcher and rushed to hospital with his "injuries". The audience were mortified, but at this point, my dad and Frank left so Frank could catch his train.

As they were stood on the platform, who should come running past; rushing to catch his last train? None other than the "seriously injured" wrestler they had just seen being taken away to hospital :D

Even back then, things were not all they seemed in the world of wrestling!!

Sorry about that Cleo but if you google him you may be able to see what he looks like today...

Peridot :)

Truly have my illusions now been shattered by the temptation. I just googled Billy Two Rivers. He is old and fat with a full head of long hair and still wearing that full feather head dress like it's his life support. :cry:

• Upvote 1

You met my gran then :mrgreen:

always remember an interview with jackie pallo and he recalled an incident where he was leaving the ring and an old woman hit him rather painfully on the back. When he got to the dressing room one of the other wrestlers noticed blood running down his back. It seems she had stabbed him with a nail file and it was embedded in his back...:shock:

You met my gran then :mrgreen:

always remember an interview with jackie pallo and he recalled an incident where he was leaving the ring and an old woman hit him rather painfully on the back. When he got to the dressing room one of the other wrestlers noticed blood running down his back. It seems she had stabbed him with a nail file and it was embedded in his back...:shock:

At least in those days Sid we weren't asked to believe that you could break a chair over somebody's head without causing injury.