Possible new ?400m Titan Prison on Omega Site ????

Dizzy

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dismayed - I am dismayed that you have put a link to this article on another newspaper when we have had the story on our front page since early afternoon. :oops:

Sometimes I just wonder .... :roll:

And sometimes I just wonder too Gary :roll:

I've deleted it !!!!!!!!!

I heard it on the news and read it ealier in the day and completely missed your later news update which I appologise for (but it was sandwiched between two Warrington Wolves stories...Zzzzzz) :shock:

I am sorry and it was not intentional and I'll make sure I don't comment on anything in future until I have fully read the news pages throughout the day.

:?

...... Or maybe best if I just don't bother at all eh after how this week has gone :roll:

So..... Why do people swear so much in Warrington?..... I think we have just found the answer :roll::P

So not only do we in Westbrook(and the surrounding areas) get Ikea, M&S (and all the traffic that pair generate) Asda (and the traffic lights - as sponsored by your local LibDem Councillors), a mass of industrial estates and the Psycho drivers from hell (the ones that drive the post office vans) we may now have to put up with "Chavlene" and her 7 kids by 6 dads wandering the area while visitng "Rio" her current boyfriend who is doing time for robbery.... "but he aint guilty ya know?"

There is plenty of space up in that green belt in the South of Warrington and if it is good enough for the pikeys over there; surely it is good enough for some cons! :lol:

of course if they were thinking of lymm.... gadzooks, not on thy holy land!

On the contrary.......

We have a superior torture chamber situated at Lymm Towers. We are able to offer whipping by skipping rope (courtesy of Lady Laura of Lymm), exposure to enormous spiders in the garage, these may not be tarantulas but, if not, they are close cousins, and Chinese Water Torture - the dripping of water from the cistern tank of the (soon to be replaced) loo into the lavatory bowl. Our rates for rental of the above are reasonable or, at least, not entirely ludicrous.

We would welcome a large prison in our vicinity. We can think of many people who could be nominated as first inmates (especially the fellow down the road who looks distinctly dodgy) and, if reports we have read about other prisons are correct, we might be tempted to break enough laws to be incarcerated ourselves and so save on Council Tax and have a pleasant holiday.

Kate, Duchess of Lymm

Dismayed - I am dismayed that you have put a link to this article on another newspaper when we have had the story on our front page since early afternoon. :oops:

Sometimes I just wonder .... :roll:

And sometimes I just wonder too Gary :roll:

I've deleted it !!!!!!!!!

I heard it on the news and read it ealier in the day and completely missed your later news update which I appologise for (but it was sandwiched between two Warrington Wolves stories...Zzzzzz) :shock:

I am sorry and it was not intentional and I'll make sure I don't comment on anything in future until I have fully read the news pages throughout the day.

:?

...... Or maybe best if I just don't bother at all eh after how this week has gone :roll:

So..... Why do people swear so much in Warrington?..... I think we have just found the answer :roll::P

Don't take it too personally - there are plenty of other posters who put links and comments they read on other websites when it has been on our main page.

Some even start a topic when there is already one running on the same subject.

:oops:

You never know, they may even construct a "drugs free" Prison; fully automated and contolled from a central control point, no need for personal contact with inmates, visitors talking through glass screens etc - but knowing the British experience, I somehow doubt it - it'll probably come in over-budget too! :roll::wink:

I'm, not complaining, although some remote Scottish Isles could be preferable. :lol: Seems the local MP. Mzzzz Jones is trying to blame the Council for this one! :? Errm, excuse me, who is responsible for building, funding and running Prisons? :? Certainly not "the Council". :roll: Perhaps Mzzz Jones should be better informed by her OWN Government, as to their plans for this Town. :wink:

WBC will have no or little say on what is built on the Omega site, planning permission for major developments are going to be put into the hands of a new planning QUANGO aren't they. I'm not sure a prison will be the end of the world.....certainly less traffic congestion than offices. I guess most residents are worried by the effect on their house values.....not sure there will be any great effect given the possible distance involved.

WBC will have no or little say on what is built on the Omega site, planning permission for major developments are going to be put into the hands of a new planning QUANGO aren't they. I'm not sure a prison will be the end of the world.....certainly less traffic congestion than offices. I guess most residents are worried by the effect on their house values.....not sure there will be any great effect given the possible distance involved.

Cllr Bland and Cllr. Joyce feel quite the opposite Paul. At our parish meeting on Wednesday about a dozen worried residents attended and put forward their legitamate worries regarding these widely reported rumours of the siting of a Titan Prison on Omega. None of the councillors present (including David Earl who is on planning) had heard anything of an official approach to the Council concerning the prison. Cllr. Bland went on to say that the council would be dead against any such proposal and that it would be made known soon that this is the case. It was also said that there are guidelines in place regarding the siting of prisons and that it is doubtful that Omega meets these criteria. When the question of whether the Council would have any say in what was to be built on Omega the answer was that they would have the biggest say of all and had already turned down several unsuitable proposals for the site. I do not feel that you understand how many peoples lives would be affected by a huge prison being built within a hundred yards of their homes, not just to the value of their properties but many other facets of their lives, otherwise you wouldn't have posted such a cavalier statement. If a take away food shop is far too downmarket to the people of some areas of the town to bear how would they feel if they were faced with the possibility of this development. If they were facing it Paul you wouldn't find me being flippant and infering that they were being nimbys.

My understanding is that a Government QUANGO will make the decision as large planning matters are being taken away from local government. Maybe Cllrs Bland & Joyce are right and that WBC can if they wish stop it. Not sure 2500 is a viable prison size.

Many people want criminals to be locked up, to do that prisons have to be built, and if properly designed and screened and built at the point furthest from homes, they shouldn't be too dire. In the US I understand they have semi submerged ones.

I do accept that people will be concerned even shocked by the proposal which has come out of the blue.....or been kept secret.

PS. PJ any further progress on allotments, or is that now on the backburner. :wink:

My understanding is that a Government QUANGO will make the decision as large planning matters are being taken away from local government.

Many people want criminals to be locked up, to do that prisons have to be built, and if properly designed and screened and built at the point furthest from homes, they shouldn't be too dire. In the US I understand they have semi submerged ones.

I do accept that people will be concerned even shocked by the proposal which has come out of the blue.....or been kept secret.

PS. PJ any further progress on allotments, or is that now on the backburner. :wink:

Paul it isn't a proposal it is a rumour and if councillors add credence to the rumours it needlessly worries the people who may feel they could be affected. I agree that people wish to have criminals locked up and that prisons are required but there must surely be better places to build them than bordering on housing estates. as for building it at the furthest point away from the homes Paul the clue is in the title, Titan. This is not a little unit but a huge prison which would totally ruin the area not only for residents but also severley affect the desirability of the rest of the Omega site as high quality, high tech office space which is what it is supposed to be and was when all of the present residents closest to the development bought their houses. Warrington already provides more than its fair share of prison cells to the country so why should we have to put up with more?

I don't think the headline "Conservative councillor in favour of Omega prison" would win you any friends or votes in Warrington north Paul nor should it.

p.s. no the allotment issue is not on the back burner I am continuing my efforts and I hope to update you all asap with further developments.

Beats me why we have to pander to the criminal classes and their families at all. Why build the damn places anywhere near populated areas at all? back of beyond and as hard to get to on public transport would be my attitude. If they can't get visitors they can't get drugs or other such luxuries; but then again I am a law abiding citizen; so why should my views count for anything?

Baz

Beats me why we have to pander to the criminal classes and their families at all. Why build the damn places anywhere near populated areas at all? back of beyond and as hard to get to on public transport would be my attitude. If they can't get visitors they can't get drugs or other such luxuries; but then again I am a law abiding citizen; so why should my views count for anything?

Baz

The back of beyond would get my vote too :wink:

perhaps if we ripped up a few trees we could site a prison here after all we all want to see criminals jailed and I'm sure with a bit of screening nobody would mind:D

Prisonsite.jpg

No, I fully understand, although other than property values...which is always the biggest concern and maybe undesireables visiting the prison, not sure exactly what other major facets of people's lives would be affected.

Isn't that enough for starters Paul :wink: I believe there is a lot of open space in Appleton some of which may be coming up for reuse soon.... perhaps they could build it there instead :shock::P

There's an old book called 'How to win friends and influence people'... I once had a copy which I didn't read either :P

Anyway enough of teasing you...

Going back to the problems of living near a prison. I worked for many years near the one at Risley. Being a work place with car parks for many vehicles the company had to resort to daytime 'Vehicle Watch' scheme in conjunction with the site security and local police to try and cut down on the number of cars that were stolen simply for a ride home by inmates visitors etc.... not to mention the number of cars that were broken into all the time :cry::roll:

The point is that on a Forum there should be a varied discussion with a range of ideas, otherwise the Forum is sterile. Personally I'd have prisons built on remote islands where prisoners would have no luxuries or visitors, but then I'm sure that would also upset many people.

PS Nice Google map, beautiful tree canopy......looks pretty built up to me though. :wink: