Possible new ?400m Titan Prison on Omega Site ????

Dizzy

Paul K and Gary , great news if the broadcast of the council meetings gets off the ground, anything which lets the people of Warrington be better informed can only be a good thing. There was a lot of infrastructure installed quite recently at the Town Hall to enable a trial/inquest to have video conferencing available. Perhaps this can be utilised, at least in part, for the broadcast of Council meetings. I also happen to know Baz J is quite an expert on such matters :wink::D

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anybody seen the front page of the guardian today??

PAEDOPHILE WALKS FREE!

wonder how many people read that n complain about the overcrowding in prisons overstretched facilities in the current ones. now how many of those oppose the titan prisons?

at the end of the day these prisons need to be built. fair enough the people that live near them will complain at 1st but they need to be built. otherwise scum like that lad are going to continue to walk free.

the residents next to HMP Liverpool (which by the way they are right next to the prison, type in google L9 3DF) have been there for many years and have an excellent relationship with the prison officers and the authorities and also they arent worried about who is in the prison because they are SAFELY locked up. no-one has EVER escaped from that building and that was built in 1855 for gods sake so surely the people who live near the omega site shouldnt be worried about having prisoners near their homes because if they haven't been able to escape from a building that was built in 1855 they most definately wont be able to escape out of a prison built in this era, but instead i bet theyre now worried about who is actually on the streets after reading that about a local lad who has kids of his own & is actually a paedophile. i can guarantee that they are the 1st people to question the justice system.

so i think that maybe the people protesting about these prisons need to have a real think about what will start happening if the government don't build them. i bet theres loads of prisoners who will start getting released early and people like that lad who deserve to be in prison that don't even see the inside of a cell because the current prisons are overcrowded.

anybody seen the front page of the guardian today??

PAEDOPHILE WALKS FREE!

wonder how many people read that n complain about the overcrowding in prisons overstretched facilities in the current ones. now how many of those oppose the titan prisons?

at the end of the day these prisons need to be built. fair enough the people that live near them will complain at 1st but they need to be built. otherwise scum like that lad are going to continue to walk free.

the residents next to HMP Liverpool (which by the way they are right next to the prison, type in google L9 3DF) have been there for many years and have an excellent relationship with the prison officers and the authorities and also they arent worried about who is in the prison because they are SAFELY locked up. no-one has EVER escaped from that building and that was built in 1855 for gods sake so surely the people who live near the omega site shouldnt be worried about having prisoners near their homes because if they haven't been able to escape from a building that was built in 1855 they most definately wont be able to escape out of a prison built in this era, but instead i bet theyre now worried about who is actually on the streets after reading that about a local lad who has kids of his own & is actually a paedophile. i can guarantee that they are the 1st people to question the justice system.

so i think that maybe the people protesting about these prisons need to have a real think about what will start happening if the government don't build them. i bet theres loads of prisoners who will start getting released early and people like that lad who deserve to be in prison that don't even see the inside of a cell because the current prisons are overcrowded.

All very well.... but a 6ft piece of rope would free up enough prison cells not to have to build any new ones!

I agree with Obs... build the things; but build them away from civilisation. There is no need to have them next to housing estates because as has been said, it isn't just the ones that are securely locked inside the place; it is the friends and families of the scum that go to visit who are just as bad and if they are happy with that sort walking around in Liverpool; fine. I personally do not want my wife or kiddy stood at a bus stop next to some murderers best mate on his weekly visit and drug delivery run.

NIMBY? you better believe I am. Top of Snowdon in prision issue underpants wouldn't be harsh enough :wink:

RHCPbabe88

Your point makes no sense at all I'm afraid. Firstly this man was not set free because there was no prison place for him, he was set fee because the judge,rightly or wrongly, believed he would not be able to recieve treatment for his "condition" in prison and therefore he chose a different course for the offender. I do not agree with the judge and probably very few would but having a Titan prison built next to a housing estate would not mean less paedophiles etc. would be on our streets, in fact it would be quite the opposite. The plans behind Titan prisons are not just concerned with locking people up but they also plan to "rehabilitate" those released into local areas of low unemployment i.e. Warrington. Therefore we would be importing into our town all the scum the country has to offer, jailing them and putting up with their inevitable unsavoury visitors for the duration of there sentence and finally putting them out on our streets to see if they can now be model citizens. Now call me a cynic if you wish but I reckon a lot of these types will reoffend but now these offences will take place in our town and involve our families.

Why should Warrington provide more prison places than Manchester and Liverpool combined which is what would be the case should this prison be built. Per capita we already provide far more prison places than these 2 cities.

The part of the Omega development which has been suggested as a prison site is Phase 5. Phases 1 and 2 have recieved planning permission already but phases 3,4 and 5 were refused as the traffic infrastructure, namely the M6 and M62 are incapable of carrying the load which would be required. This is good enough reason to refuse any approach by the Department of Justice concerning Omega as a possible site.

PAEDOPHILE WALKS FREE!

so i think that maybe the people protesting about these prisons need to have a real think about what will start happening if the government don't build them. i bet theres loads of prisoners who will start getting released early and people like that lad who deserve to be in prison that don't even see the inside of a cell because the current prisons are overcrowded

As one of the people complaining about the new prison, I am against the new prison on the grounds of the huge cost of building and maintaining it, and the simple fact that all evidence points to the fact Titan Prisons are a poor idea, the chief Inspector of Prisons holds this view. Lock criminals up, and in some cases for ever, but spend money on ending "revolving door" prisons, reduce re offending rates, make prisons drug free , stop the culture of gangs within prisons, Young offenders attending schools of crime. This will take money, but banging up two or three to a cell designed for one will only result in the three being eventually let out and two coming back in within months. No need to build more prisons, just stop the same offenders coming back. To fund this how about a similar scheme to how students finance University education, make prisoners take out loans to pay for their keep, and pay them back when they earn enough (Or by confiscating illegally obtained assets)

There is no "cure" for peadophilia; so they need removing from the rest of society, thus eliminating risk; either by lethal injection (EU wouldn't like that!) or long term Prison. :shock: I can't comprehend all the so called difficulties we seem to experience with prison management; which are probably the result of current human rights nonesense. :roll: It's fairly simple: a system of reward/perks for good behaviour; deprivation/pain for bad behaviour - humans will respond in just the same way as Pavlov's dogs - conditioned reflex, and in those rare cases where it doesn't - a labotomy will calm the restless spirit. :shock: It is possible to build a fully automated Prison, operated from a central control room, with cctv coverage, so no physical contact with guards, let alone visitors - thus drug free. :shock: Single cells, no association with other prisoners, until good behaviour allows such a reward: all internal cleaning and hygene completed by the inmates, again rewards if it's done to standard - bread and water if it isn't: eventually a well behaved inmate could progress up the reward chain to being allowed to work on the allotments which would be the main food source - thus saving money. :shock: Progression up the reward grades would eventually lead to rehabilitation and training for the outside world - so basically a system designed to break them then make them. - sorted. :wink:

Errrm, think you need to re-read the thread: I'm all for more prisons, BUT built in the remotest areas of the Country (eg: some barren Island off the Scottish coast). :shock: That way, they wouldn't get many, if any, visits - thus cutting back on their drug intake - SORTED! :wink:

Totally agree with you on this. I joined today looking for more information on this possible prison plan after discovering a public meeting was held and flyers had been pushed through our friends door in Whittle Hall - I can not believe we weren't even aware of this and we only live around the corner from my friend so to speak.

I do agree with prisons being built but surely they can not be seriously considering building one so close to homes, retail and business parks and schools!!!! stick them in a remote area. Why should things be made easy for the prisoner and for them to have great facilities and it be easy on the visitors to access etc when they chose to break the law and step out of "normal social society". (just know the slating will come my way for that but I'm sorry that is how I feel)

The thing that has annoyed me is how people have been quick to jump on things like big houses and nice cars! What has that got to do with it. What is wrong in living in a nice area where you want to feel safe and secure, who cares if the homes are in negative equity and how they were paid for, I felt on reading many of those comments people were missing the point and at the end of the day none of those points have anything to do with it. There are lots of homes and nice cars that are paid for and owned and people work really hard to pay for the nice things they want to have in their and their families life.

My husband has a relative who was in the prison services for many, many years and we have heard his stories about the kind of people that are attracted to prisons and visiting fellow inmates and we don't want that type of person around this area.

Fine for relatives and friends to visit that are good law abiding citizens but for those who think the wrong kind won't be in this area trying to smuggle drugs and other illicit contriband into the prisons and for those who don't want to admit "it happens" are seriosuly blinkered.

My opinion is that I don't want the prison to be built in Warrington full stop.

I am aware of what facilities we have for offenders already in the area and we don't need anymore, and I don't want Warrington to be known as the town with the big Titan Prison.

I personally was a victim of crime and it took me a long time to get over what happened to me and for my family and friends to get over what happened to me. I wish the police had been able to catch him and he had gone to prison for what he did to me but I certainly wouldn't want that prison on my doorstep with the likes of his friends hanging around areas where families and children, schools and businesses are conducting their everyday life.

It's too close to all our doorsteps and it needs to be somewhere else!

That is my opinion and I hope that information and meeting dates etc will be available for everyone to get information and to be able to voice their opinion. It all feels very sly and underhanded.

I notice 244 people have signed the petition. Interesting to see the names that are on it.......and those that so far are NOT :wink:

Couldn't wait to sign it :wink: and have e-mailed link to all friends and family in the area too - is this going to get out more into the to the public knowledge???

If we've only just found out about it I bet there's many more who still don't know :cry:

I notice 244 people have signed the petition. Interesting to see the names that are on it.......and those that so far are NOT :wink:

Couldn't wait to sign it :wink: and have e-mailed link to all friends and family in the area too - is this going to get out more into the to the public knowledge???

If we've only just found out about it I bet there's many more who still don't know :cry:

I've signed the petition and forwarded to friends in and outside the area. On the issue of awareness and information flow - is the "official website" for the campaign up yet?

Errrm, think you need to re-read the thread: I'm all for more prisons, BUT built in the remotest areas of the Country (eg: some barren Island off the Scottish coast). :shock: That way, they wouldn't get many, if any, visits - thus cutting back on their drug intake - SORTED! :wink:

The thing that has annoyed me is how people have been quick to jump on things like big houses and nice cars! What has that got to do with it. What is wrong in living in a nice area where you want to feel safe and secure, who cares if the homes are in negative equity and how they were paid for, I felt on reading many of those comments people were missing the point and at the end of the day none of those points have anything to do with it. There are lots of homes and nice cars that are paid for and owned and people work really hard to pay for the nice things they want to have in their and their families life.

catsmum -

The houses and cars issue blew up from a point I was trying to make on another site regarding the job opportunities promised by Omega when it was launched. Here's the quote that sparked my response: "Think your in cloud cuckoo land! Skilled, well paid careers are almost a thing of the past, certainly in industry."

Someone implied that as there were no decent jobs in the area (allegedly), then we should be grateful for what we can get (ie Prison jobs, instead of the wonderful, hi-skilled, well-paid careers I envisioned for my kids when Omega came to fruition). My response was "if there are no decent jobs to be had, how are all the new cars and big houses in the area being paid for"?

That seemed to touch a nerve/green streak with "one or two" people, but I don't think it was an unreaonable question. As you rightly say, people want to live in a nice area and bring kids up in a safe environment - hopefully one which can provide good employment opps as well - and if a hulking great prision occupies some of the land, then alot of those jobs definitey won't appear because the type of employers that need to be attracted won't want to come.

What I'm really getting at is the short-term panic into accepting any job opp, versus taking a slightly longer view and allowing things to get back on track as was planned originally for Omega. The "houses and cars" thing was an illustration of the standard of living and calibre of people that live in the area - but may not want to if the Prison goes ahead.

(when I look at the response of some posters on that forum, I wish I'd followed the advice in my own signature). :roll:

Wow... it's doubled since last night :shock::D A couple more '0's on the end and it might just work :D

Guess word about the online government petition is starting to spread to those who have access to the internet :wink:

What about all the ones who are against it though who don't have internet access and/or a personal email addresses to confirm their signature though.

There could be loads more people who want to sign but can't :shock: