Possible new ?400m Titan Prison on Omega Site ????

Dizzy

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having lived and worked in Warrington all my life I can only comment from my own life experiences.

But I grew up and lived near Grisley Risley for many years, cycling and walking passed it on a near daily basis.

I now live near an open prison :shock: in Appleton Thorn.

While prisons by their very nature don't sound like the perfect neighbour I have never ever once found them to be a problem for me personally.

If and it is a big if the Titan Prison did happen it would create 2,000 jobs at a time when many people are losing jobs - so there would be benefits for the local economy.

It is a sad fact of life that we need prisons and unfortunately they have to be built somewhere.

But I would rather have a prison as a neighbour than some criminal who is out on the streets because there is no space left for them in prison!

All that said I clearly understand the fears and concerns of local residents and I am far from convinced that this is the best site for such a facility - then again it has previously been considered as a possible car plant and a base for a NATO HQ!

Undoubtedly it will be developed one day and it is the task of ALL local politicans that we get what is best for Warrington and the local community.

I wonder how long before it will be earmarked as a site for a possible incinerator!

:shock:

Having lived and worked in Warrington all my life I can only comment from my own life experiences.

So your actually a woolyback :shock::shock::oops:

I now live near an open prison in Appleton Thorn.

My cousin worked at Appleton Thorn for many years teaching young offenders , until he tragically died about 2 years ago.

I have to agree that there is no point in saying that we need more prisons and then protesting when it's decided that one will be built.

The Omega site seems as good a position as anywhere else.

So your actually a woolyback :shock::shock::oops:

No Wolfie - yet again you are completeley wrong.

I was born in Liverpool but moved to Warrington three days later! :wink:

Definitions

woolyback

noun

1. (context, Liverpudlian, pejorative) Someone not born in Liverpool (especially from the towns of Wigan, St Helen's, Widnes, Warrington and Runcorn).

Etymology: Speculative: labour drafted into Liverpool Docks during the dockers strike had to carry the woolen bales on their backs because they did not have the correct equipment for unloading ships. cf. "Sling your hook". [/i]

Having lived and worked in Warrington all my life

So you haven't lived and worked in Warrington all your life?

Yet again you miss the point Wolfie - can you really be as stupid as you come across - surely not.

A woolyback is someone who was not born in Liverpool - I was born in Liverpool and hence I am not a woolyback as you suggest. But even if I wasn't does it really matter.

Far more important things to consider in the world.

:roll:

There is currently some activity at the Burtonwood Roundabout end of the site ie big piles of gravel and diggers. Have they started already? I wouldn't put it past them..... :evil:

Maybe it is to stop "travellers" moving on :shock::wink:

On the latter comment....there has to be a planning application first.....and there hasn't been one.

I have no problem in admitting to being stupid if you can explain that living in Warrington ALL your life can be said at the same time as 'being born in Liverpool' :?:?:?

Sorry folks for going off topic - but sometimes you have to go that extra mile to explain to someone who finds it difficult to admit they are stupid.

Wolfie let me try and explain - if you go away on holiday or to stay at a friends does that mean you no longer live in Warrington?

My parents lived in Penketh, my mother decided to give birth in a nursing home in Liverpool. She visited the nursing home, I was born and promptly returned to live in Warrington. Hence it is fair to say I have lived in Warrington ALL my life - but I am not a woolyback because I was born in Liverpool.

I hope that makes it clear enough for you! :roll:

Now hopefully people can get on with the important business of discussing the Titan prison topic! :oops:

But I grew up and lived near Grisley Risley for many years, cycling and walking passed it on a near daily basis..........

While prisons by their very nature don't sound like the perfect neighbour I have never ever once found them to be a problem for me personally.

I worked just up the road from Grisly Risley for best part of 20 years. The car parks at work became a 'free' car share pool (better than relying on public transport to get you home after visiting :roll:) and if your car didn't go the contents became part of a the 'smash and carry' shopping craze :roll:

It was BAD but I guess from what you say Gary they tended to leave the nearby residents alone though thanks to us :?:wink:

But I grew up and lived near Grisley Risley for many years, cycling and walking passed it on a near daily basis..........

I worked just up the road from Grisly Risley for best part of 20 years. The car parks at work became a 'free' car share pool (better than relying on public transport to get you home after visiting :roll:) and if your car didn't go the contents became part of a the 'smash and carry' shopping craze :roll:

It was BAD but I guess from what you say Gary they tended to leave the nearby residents alone though thanks to us :?:wink:

Because prisons house scum and scum visit scum; thus scum is still on the streets rather than being locked up.

We have enough prisons in this town; and call me a NIMBY but I personally don't want anymore.

[quote="Baz J

Because prisons house scum and scum visit scum; thus scum is still on the streets rather than being locked up.

I understand Brian Ferry...he of Roxy Music fame visited his son, who is on remand in Gloucester Prison (allegedly for perverting the course of justice) yesterday.

Such generalisations can be rather unfair can they not :wink:

[quote name="Baz J

I understand Brian Ferry...he of Roxy Music fame visited his son' date=' who is on remand in Gloucester Prison (allegedly for perverting the course of justice) yesterday.

Such generalisations can be rather unfair can they not :wink:[/quote]

Have you heard his music? Bloody criminal if you ask me Paul!!

I have no problem in admitting to being stupid if you can explain that living in Warrington ALL your life can be said at the same time as 'being born in Liverpool' :?:?:?

My parents lived in Penketh, my mother decided to give birth in a nursing home in Liverpool. She visited the nursing home, I was born and promptly returned to live in Warrington. Hence it is fair to say I have lived in Warrington ALL my life - but I am not a woolyback because I was born in Liverpool.

:

I understood that Penketh WAS Little Liverpool. :shock::?

:

I understood that Penketh WAS Little Liverpool. :shock::?

Shame on you Peter _ and there was me thinking you were one of the few Mancs around with a sense of decency :(