August Bank Holiday

Adam

I see the August Bank Holiday is approaching again and that the good residents of Daresbury are again bracing themselves for that influx of the great unwashed that will attend a so-called music festival.

I find it incredible that the authorities ever allowed this event to take place in open countryside and even more so that after the first two they are still allowing them to take place.

We are told it brings money into the town but I doubt if it brings much and the cost of the extra police presence will surely wipe it out anyway.

We, the tax payer, are having to bear the cost of this degrading spectacle on land owned by the local squire. Shame on him too!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i take it you couldn't get a ticket then :P

can't say i am bothered one way or the other. i will not be going past the place anytime soon so in a way it does not affect me directly.

indirectly it may do if i get mugged or burgled as i may have to wait a few extra hours for the police or ambulances to turn up.

as for the people who want to pay exorbitant prices to enter and then spend a weekend in a noisy field and pay even more for food drink and other such necessities then that is up to them. can't see the point myself but that is me innit.

you never know perhaps it will carry on with our great British summer weather and be a total washout like Glastonbury :twisted:

I'm visiting the site on Friday with WBC Officers, I understand is it very wet to say the least. Halton licence the event, and as it stands there are no valid grounds in licensing terms to reject the application. Personally I think it is on totally the wrong site, Aintree or Haydock Park would be more appropriate, not some fields at the back of Lord Ds home. As I often say, Creamfields in Halton will cease when, Cream no longer make the return on their investment they want; the landowners who rent the land to Cream cease to do so; there is an incident of such seriousness that the police and or WBC object.

WBC receive no money from Cream but do incur costs, a number of Parishes do receive a modest payment and local businesses cleary do get some income from the event.

As the local WBC Councillor, I hope the event is uneventful and that the residents I represent are not too inconvenienced nor subjected to anti social behaviour etc. and that the police have a zero tollerance approach.

Paul - take it you are not attending the concert then ?? very wet underfoot at present and heavy set up traffic has done a lot of churning up of turf. Last year it was rumoured prior to event that some old established trees in Rowswood were to be cut down for the concert - it did not happen but it has over last few days and a swathe of open land has divided the wood - presumably to give adequate access between camp and concert sites. Not sure if trees were on Walton or Daresbury side of the boundary which runs through the wood but either way the 'tree officers' for Halton and Warrington will both probably say, as they did when sections of hedges were ripped up and a corner of Outerwood demolised in 2006, that Lord Daresbury has planted many trees on his estate over recent years and I guess there was an ulterior motive in his gifting trees to the Council for planting along the A56. Yesterday my walk over the fields to Hatton was interruped by blocking off the public footpath between A56 Chester Road and Rowswood - as has happened illegally days before the event in two previous years. It is all very well saying Creamfields pay for policing of the event but I doubt if they pay for all the police time spent on traffic planning and attending meetings with local representatives - and much the same applies to time spent by Warrington Council officials, before and durng the event - perhaps you can enlighten me on this aspect Paul ??

I've never been, but I'm glad that events such as this are within my reachj if I ever did choose to go... theres not much else to do in the northwest!

what is it with some people...just because its not something to your tastes no one else should get a look in?

That garden festival at aintree every year gets my goat...BAHHHHNNNN!! ITTT!!

There are lots of things that are not to my taste that I do not object to.

In fact, even though I regard the "music" played at this type of event to be moronic, I do not object to others listening to it as long as I don't have to as well.

Unfortunately, the Daresbury event is heard by a great number of people over a great area. I could hear it in Appleton during the afternoon last year so God knows what it sounds like late at night.

It's not the right place for it. Pop music and the open countryside don't go together. Neither would classical music either, for that matter.

Music should be played in a concert hall - not the open air

I agree with the posters that are against this event. If young people are allowed to have fun then our society will degenerate. Imagine what it would be like if the authorities allowed them to grow into happy adults, it would be a total disaster. The thought of young people in our town smiling and joking is abhorrent, it's not what we need. We should campaign and get a politician to join in......apologies, it looks like we have one :roll:

Paul - take it you are not attending the concert then ?? very wet underfoot at present and heavy set up traffic has done a lot of churning up of turf. Last year it was rumoured prior to event that some old established trees in Rowswood were to be cut down for the concert - it did not happen but it has over last few days and a swathe of open land has divided the wood - presumably to give adequate access between camp and concert sites. Not sure if trees were on Walton or Daresbury side of the boundary which runs through the wood but either way the 'tree officers' for Halton and Warrington will both probably say, as they did when sections of hedges were ripped up and a corner of Outerwood demolised in 2006, that Lord Daresbury has planted many trees on his estate over recent years and I guess there was an ulterior motive in his gifting trees to the Council for planting along the A56. Yesterday my walk over the fields to Hatton was interruped by blocking off the public footpath between A56 Chester Road and Rowswood - as has happened illegally days before the event in two previous years. It is all very well saying Creamfields pay for policing of the event but I doubt if they pay for all the police time spent on traffic planning and attending meetings with local representatives - and much the same applies to time spent by Warrington Council officials, before and durng the event - perhaps you can enlighten me on this aspect Paul ??

Had the "grand tour"/inspection of the site today.

With regards to WBC costs etc, you are right in what you say, but of course central Government via taxation provide most Council/police funding, and it could be argued that businesses such as Cream pay tax and therefore do make a contribution to those costs. The same discussion could be had regarding the bars & clubs in the town, which through their business create drunken people who then have to be policed etc.

With regards to Creamfields, I've said all along that I believe it is in the wrong location, Aintree, Haydock Park would be much more suitable sites, however it is where it is and it will remain there until Cream decide they don't make enoungh money; the 2 local landowners decide they don't want to rent their land out or a valid and substantive Licensing objections...... that would stand up to a legal Appeal are made.

The WBC number for complaints/problems is 444400, and all calls will be logged and actioned.

Quote :

The WBC number for complaints/problems is 444400, and all calls will be logged and actioned.

Does that mean you get to play the numbers game and wait eons to talk to someone who knows nothing about the subject?

WBC hide behind the phone system an awful lot these days. :evil:

Been away and I can't say I missed anything about Warrington one little bit :D

Not like me I know, but I will wait until after the Creamfields event starts until I start throwing daggers in certain directions as although I don't agree with it's location (Halton... yea right !!! ) I do love live music :wink:

I just hope that I have nothing to whinge about on Monday evening and if anyone dares to touch my car/home etc etc they will be singing in a much higher key than before :shock::D

I do hope it really goes without any trouble and that everyone has a great time :D:shock:

First year (2006) 55% of site was in Daresbury Parish/Halton Borough and 45% in Walton Parish/Warrington Borough. This was a crafty move by Cream to ensure the Licence application had to be dealt with by Halton Council. This year, with a new 20,000 capacity camp site and taking into account parking sites and taxi and bus drop off fields most of the overall area, belonging to two landowners, is in Walton/Hatton Parishes and therefore arguably this is a Warrington rather than a Halton event. But because a 20,000 capacity (ot any other size) of tempoary camp site does not need any planning permission - and is exempt any health and safety regs - then the licencing authority remains Halton. Only if the nature calls of 20,000 campers polute local water courses then Environment Dept and United Utilities may have something to say - think I will keep off the tap water over the next week or so :!:

I notice Cream are advertising next year's Creamfields as a 2 day festival.

http://www.creamfields.com/news.aspx?newsitem=a7da0eb3-e75a-4ad6-9b91-4eaa91b8f609&current=0

PS I note that on 21st August they make the following comment about this year's event...before it has even commenced:

"Following the overwhelming success of this years inaugural 2 day camping event........."

Think they are refering to the success in this years ticket sales... :wink:

Guess the organisers expect to get permission again next year providing of course that there are no 'incidents' at this one hence next years tickets (2009) go on sale from the 29th August .... this gives them a few days grace just incase :shock::wink: Guess it will be a yearly thing now, getting bigger every year.

Must admit though it is very loud tonight and I was suprised that I can hear it from my garden... must be deafening for those who are actually there or live nearby :shock:

Wouldn't like to be a litter picker on the Daresbury expressway though cos there was stuff strewn absolutely everywhere at 3.30pm today.. but that's Halton :wink::lol: and there were some rather tiddly guests heading in from that direction who will probably have passed out by now anyway :lol::?

I was on the site yesterday afternoon with WBC Environmental Health Officers and then installed noise monitoring equipment in a local home.

Went up again for a drive round for an hour or so and to visit a resident late last night and to speak to security staff and police, very minimal sound south of the site (Hatton) when I was there which I found very odd but equidistant north of the site ( Higher Walton) much louder, but still within limits....sometimes it is the frequency that is the problem not the level of sound. For a short period of time the noise level did go 2db over the limit on the Chester Road....interestingly due to climatic conditions. Sound and how it travels is really odd.

I have tested both the Creamfields helpline 08450369655 and the WBC one 444400 and satisfied with the responses. Discussed some of the oddities with certain road barriers...or lack off....e.g. at one end of Warrington Road (Hatton)there was one, whilst at the other ( Higher Walton) there wasn't...ditto Old Chester Road. The MD of Loud Sound (Jim King) who run the event for Cream, rang me to discuss the matter. I noted that the security guards manning the barriers had no proper provision for rest breaks and worked long shifts by themselves.....maybe a travelling portaloo on a trailer would have been a good idea.

So far there have been very few official complaints.

Didn't you get a free ticket Paul :D

Bet it's great inside and check out the camping facilities....from normal tents to little beach huts and upto real king sized beds in the posh pods... Cool :D8)

Anyway back to the sound.....I am 1.9 miles away from the field (according to multimap quick directions) and I could hear the drum beats, music and voices (although I had no idea what they were playing but that's cos I'm old :lol: ... definately no sing along stuff like Abba playing :lol::wink:).

Could hear it from 7.30pm onwards and I still think it must have been very very loud for those who live closer but I guess not from what you say... how weird.

What time does it start and finish each day... any idea ?

Didn't you get a free ticket Paul :D

No, never asked and was never offered....and wouldn't have accepted......an hour or so walking around the site was enough...for my ears. Have to say people really looked as though they were having a good time...and I hope they all did.

I understand one person fell and hit their head...ended up in intensive care, and one person fell and broke their leg.

What time does it start and finish each day... any idea ?

Saturday, 9AM car parks & campsites open, 2PM arean opened, music started 3PM, 11PM main stage closed, 4AM arena closed all music stops

Sunday, 12PM music started, 11PM arena closes all music stops

Monday 12PM campsite closes, 2PM car parks close