Papas Chip Shop

Milky

I went there a couple of months back, on Fathers day actually and the lights were on inside but the sign on the door said closed. Quite like the idea of a sit down fish and chip meal and yes it was a tad more expensive but much better than a take out that ends up being all a bit too soggy.

Bill :) 

16 hours ago, Bill said:

it was a tad more expensive but much better than a take out that ends up being all a bit too soggy.

Can't beat a soggy bag of chips with the vinegar dripping through the newspaper and the salt stinging those tiny cuts on your hand that you didn't know you even had..Seemed to round off a great evening out on darts night 

Image result for pub darts funny cartoons

It's probably a generational thing and I wouldn't be surprised to see even more such establishments going to the wall.

We were brought up in an age where the only takeaway food was fish and chips so maybe at some point in the future, our kids will be bemoaning the lack of the good old kebab house or curry shop as food trends change. Then of course there's the ever increasing use of online food delivery, where the only sit down is in front of the telly. Who'd have ever have thought we'd end up getting our food this way and God only knows where it'll end up.  BTW, Does Soylent Green come with fries?

I suppose I came from a relatively poor family where bought fish and chips were the exception. As a kid I remember my mum would often cook up some fish and chip and even put them in newspaper and tell me to pretend it was from a real chippy.

Happy days!!  

28 minutes ago, Bill said:

It's probably a generational thing and I wouldn't be surprised to see even more such establishments going to the wall.

Happy days!!  

I think pub hours were the one major factor.

When pubs closed at 10.30 (or 11.00 on Friday and Saturday).. It was easy for chippie owners to gauge the sudden surge in customers and the heating racks were ready and full of chips and battered fish.Next door to St Augustines club was (Don Wernhams?) and the Railway had Len Andrews(The Warrington Youth Band leader)Pierpoints and Richmonds Clubs Had The Frying Angels on Nook Lane ...they had queues of drinkers waiting to buy a bag of chips and a tub of soda soaked peas plus a bottle of pop.for the missus back home(small price to pay for a night out with the lads) or for the nice leisurely walk chatting with mates. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh those were wonderful days.

Well we all have to look on the bright side and there is a positive from all this if only there's less fish and chip wrappers being discarded by drunks on there way home from a night out ;)

I used to live mid way between the Rope and Anchor pub and the chippy on Parksway so it wasn't uncommon for people to get their chips, eat them as they walked and then get just about fed up with them as they passed by our house. I lived there for 25 years and the wife and myself were the unpaid litter collectors for the area, until one day the wife said "That's it I've picked enough chip wrappers up, I want to move". 

Not quite so Happy days!

Don wernham took over the chippie in grafton street. When he passed away his nieces took it on and its now called uncle dons chippie.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

BTW, Does Soylent Green come with fries?

Don't think so bill although you may find the odd sausage in it.🤔🤨:oops:🤭

On 8/12/2019 at 1:36 PM, Bill said:

We were brought up in an age where the only takeaway food was fish and chips so maybe at some point in the future, our kids will be bemoaning the lack of the good old kebab house or curry shop as food trends change. Then of course there's the ever increasing use of online food delivery, where the only sit down is in front of the telly. Who'd have ever have thought we'd end up getting our food this way and God only knows where it'll end up.  BTW, Does Soylent Green come with fries?

I suppose I came from a relatively poor family where bought fish and chips were the exception. As a kid I remember my mum would often cook up some fish and chip and even put them in newspaper and tell me to pretend it was from a real chippy.

Happy days!!  

Do you think?

There are far greater number of chip shops then in the past and all ages use them, although they seem to shut earlier then ever, my local one shuts at 10.

On 8/12/2019 at 3:24 PM, Evil Sid said:

Don wernham took over the chippie in grafton street. When he passed away his nieces took it on and its now called uncle dons chippie.

When he had the one in Latchford,if you were a regular and could only afford chips midweek(I was in my late teens) he always put a scoop of scratchings on the chips... delicious!

• 3 weeks later...