Warrington named the worst place in Britain for culture

Dizzy

Interesting link here....

In December, 2014, Will Fraser, the Director of the Fugue State Films DVD set 'The Genius of Aristide Cavaillé-Coll' sent an e-mail to the Chief Executive of WBC,  the Managing Director and the Cultural Director of Culture Warrington, and to the Executive Board member for Leisure, community and culture, in which he said -

'I would be very happy if you held a public screening of The Genius of Cavaille-Coll to help raise awareness of the magnificent Cavaillé-Coll organ in Warrington. We usually charge £200 to people who host a screening but in this case I would be happy for you to do this free of charge.'

I doubt whether they replied to his offer.

This would have been an excellent way of letting the people of this town understand what they have, just for the taking.

You should ask them if WBC ever replied to that free offer as like you say most people have no idea about it or it's history and importance and many probably don't even know it exists.  I thought I knew quite a bit about it until reading all your posts and info on here and now I reaslise I didn't really know anything at all. 

You could also ask WBC if they ever replied to the the Director re his kind offer too (under a FOI request if needed and if they didn't WHY the didn't. 

It would be interesting to hear the response from both sides.

The more I read it is becoming clear that maybe WBC and Culture Warrington have NO interest at all in the organ, if they did they would be doing everything they could to preserve, use and promote it just like you are trying to do.

I don't think that any professional person should be expected to give their services free, after all their years of training and hard work, Dizzy.

A great many do if they have a passion or love for what they do or believe in the cause they are supporting.  

Maybe some of the events team read this forum like a lot of councillors do :D

Do WBC still own the Parr Hall or do Culture Warr own it now?

The Warrington Borough Council still own the organ -

Culture Warrington is the name for the culture services in Warrington.

In May 2012, the services transferred from Warrington Borough Council to a brand new company limited by guarantee and are currently going through the process of

becoming a registered charity.

I understand that Warrington Borough Council pay a management fee to Culture Warrington - but I may be wrong.

My reason for asking if WBC still owned the Parr Hall on paper was that surely if they own the organ and the Parr Hall they could easily arrange a few events to promote the organ without the need

to charge hall rental or even staffing costs, they could get volunteers to man blah blah.  

If Culture Warrington are part of WBC (but under a different 'name stamp') then I still don't see why they can't or wont do it.... but then again nothing really surprises me with WBC.

I don't think that any professional person should be expected to give their services free, after all their years of training and hard work, Dizzy.

Why ever not ?  You say some of these people would give anything to play it, so how about giving some free time ?  If they love what they do and value the organ and others like it as much as they say then I'd imagine they would do it.

If I could play it and was aware of it's possible demise and lack of interest I'd be banging on the doors and offering to play it for free as well if it helped in any little way. 

Unfortunately I've only ever played an electronic keyboard and I'm not really that good at it but I'd give it a go if it helps ...ok maybe not a good idea :lol:

OK last post I promise (well for now) but having just googled for more info and photos of our actual Warrington organ I'm surprised to find that there are hardly any photo's of it.  Why not ?

There are a few on press articles about it but these seem to be from people like you (Hill Cliffe Walker)  who have been trying to secure it's future but very little else at all  and no where near as much info about it compared to what is on this forum topic :(

Maybe it needs it's own website or something  :D

OK last post I promise (well for now) but having just googled for more info and photos of our actual Warrington organ I'm surprised to find that there are hardly any photo's of it.  Why not ?

This album description accompanies the series of photos on Flickr taken by Jill Coleman, at the request of the Warrington Male Voice Choir in 2009.

You must remember that the following comment was relevant to the circumstances surrounding the organ in 2009.

'The Cavaillé-Coll organ in the Parr Hall in Warrington is currently under threat of removal as part of a modernisation programme. Although other parties have expressed an interest in rehousing the organ, it is estimated that it would take £1 million to remove the instrument to a new location and rebuild it; it seems destined, therefore, to a future in storage and may never be heard again. This just seems unacceptable for a remarkable piece of craftsmanship that took a year to create.

Whether the Cavaillé-Coll organ should remain in its current location or whether it should move to somewhere where it would receive a wider audience has been the matter of much debate. However, it is one of very few of its type in largely original condition and so has an important place in musical history. Hopefully this will have some bearing on the final decision.'

More is written on the Warrington Male Voice Choir's web-site

http://www.warringtonchoir.org.uk/cavaille_c.html

The following is the link to Jill Coleman's photos of the C-C Organ in the Parr Hall, Warrington.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/visionthing64/sets/72157614126360274/

And next is the link is to Positive Image architectural photography, commissioned by Harry Fairclough Construction to photograph the hall after being extensively renovated, while maintaining many of the original interesting features.

http://www.manchester-architectural-photographer.co.uk/positive-image-photography-projects/public-buildings-photography/110-photos-parr-hall-warrington-cavaille-coll-organ

Come on PJ!, canals have a culture of their own from their building by the navvies through to the the culture of the people that worked the waterways and the wharfs and buildings and industry that occupied the banks of the waterways.

Warringtons biggest problem over the decades is that it has always been a major thoroughfare crossing the Mersey with Bridge Street being heavily congested with traffic, in 1836 there were 38 stage coaches stopping in or passing through the towns narrow streets daily and four passenger carrying packet boats stopping at Bridge Foot, all this traffic along with the carts and waggons that came into the town on market days, added to the congestion, also with the rapid development of industry around the town making Warrington a major industrial centre attracted the populace from outlying rural areas into Warrington seeking employment in these factories, resulted in the towns streets clogging up and by 1900 the powers that be saw the necessity to widen the streets, unfortunately and as Coffee has stated they lacked imaginatian in the planning process and destroyed what culture the town possessed at that time, unfortunately town councils have never learned from those mistakes and have continued to repeat the errors of their successors resulting in Warrington being a 'mish mash' of designs consisting of harsh square and boxy buildings of no idividual design merit whatsoever, and indeed the council and planners today appear to be trudging along the same weary path that has been trodden by by those unimaginative town councils of the past.

As an aside!, I also believe that there have always been too many 'Bradley Hardacres' on the towns council coming from outside the the town who have little interest in it's history and heritage, these council members appear to have a short term vested interest in their own political careers, giving little or no consideration to the long term future of what could have been a 'Jewel in the Crown' of the Mersey valley, instead of becoming just another 'Blot on the landscape'.

Merely my opinion you understand!.

As an aside!, I also believe that there have always been too many 'Bradley Hardacres' on the towns council coming from outside the the town who have little interest in it's history and heritage, these council members appear to have a short term vested interest in their own political careers, giving little or no consideration to the long term future of what could have been a 'Jewel in the Crown' of the Mersey valley, instead of becoming just another 'Blot on the landscape'.

Merely my opinion you understand!.

I wouldn't call being a councillor in Warrington "a political career"!

just shy of 30K per annum ain't a bad part time salary

If that was what every councillor got, we might get better councillors! That's only the leader's package, and whether he thinks it's "part-time" would be a good question.

Do you really know Warrington councillors who think of it as a career?

If that was what every councillor got, we might get better councillors! That's only the leader's package, and whether he thinks it's "part-time" would be a good question.

Do you really know Warrington councillors who think of it as a career?

No, they are all philanthropists in it only for the greater good.