Warrington named the worst place in Britain for culture

Dizzy

Well it looks like I'll be on my own at the meeting then :)

How did you get confirmation that you can attend Baz?

Phone? email? letter?   Have you actually got a ticket or some sort of written confirmation?

I think I must have been one of the earliest to apply and was told I would be put 'on the list' but I have not received any written confirmation so am left wondering whether the 'list' I am on is in fact the 'waiting list', - though at the time I contacted them I was told there were still places left (first question I asked!).

I suppose I will just have to wait and see.

If I don't get a ticket the only conclusion I will be able to come to is that there has indeed been a vetting procedure and that others who applied after me were given preference.  

How did you get confirmation that you can attend Baz?

Phone? email? letter?   Have you actually got a ticket or some sort of written confirmation?

I think I must have been one of the earliest to apply and was told I would be put 'on the list' but I have not received any written confirmation so am left wondering whether the 'list' I am on is in fact the 'waiting list', - though at the time I contacted them I was told there were still places left (first question I asked!).

I suppose I will just have to wait and see.

If I don't get a ticket the only conclusion I will be able to come to is that there has indeed been a vetting procedure and that others who applied after me were given preference.  

The more I hear - the more I am convinced that there is a vetting procedure, because they will not want people like you and me to tell it as it is.

This whole fiasco is nothing more than a PR and box ticking exercise, and the sooner 'those in authority' are more accountable, then the better.

Warrington Corporation and Warrington Borough Council were negligent of their responsibility to look after the structural condition of Walton Hall, the result being that parts of it developed into such a poor condition, that these buildings had to be demolished.

Not long ago, they tried to sell off the hall, and it was only through opposition to this that they were prevented from doing so.

I will never tire of championing the cause of an instrument which is regarded by many as a world class organ.

This too has been neglected for years. There never has been, and never will be any interest in the future of the organ by its custodians.

In essence, I have been doing the duties that a Curator would have done, with regard to the Parr Hall organ.

I know it is a 'niche' interest, but that doesn't mean to say it should be neglected. It is, and has been, a part of this town's Heritage since 1926, when Warrington Corporation bought it for £2,000 and installed it in the Parr Hall.  The efforts of Alderman A. Bennett JP, Dr. M. Darby, W.H. Payton and T. Tanner were pivotal in persuading the Council to make the purchase to replace the existing organ.

The Warrington Borough Council have spent a lot of money on being advised by Independent Organ Advisor, Ian Bell, but they have chosen NOT to take his advice about it needing to be regularly maintained.

All sounds a bit odd Sha especially if they told you there were still places available.  Did you just ring up?  Maybe you are on the 'going' list though rather than the waiting one.  Just ring up and ask them...well if you can get through again.

Like I mentioned in one of my earlier posts I tried ringing all 3 numbers but that was a no go.  I did also mail (via the jhayes email address given) but I have had nothing at all in return, not even any sort of automated
reply which would at least have been something. 

I do not have a gmail email address so I certainly wont have been blocked by their 'spam' guard.

I'm not impressed with the way it's all being handled and organised at all and to make matters worse I have just looked on their website and the event it still advertised and nowhere does it say IT IS NOW FULL !

Goodness me....

I'm not impressed with the way it's all being handled and organised at all  ..............

And all of this is after Culture Warrington said last year "We are punching above our weight here, we really are and we are making headway, both regionally and nationally."

http://www.cheshirel...stage_1_3429365

In this article, they missed a golden opportunity to mention the Parr Hall, and the organ recital which was scheduled for the 12th March, 2014.

They listed Five things you should know about Warrington -

1.   Warrington was chosen as the site of the UK's first IKEA store which opened in October, 1987.

2.   Humphrey Bogart and Bob Hope were among the stars who visited the Burtonwood Airfield to entertain the servicemen at the US Army Airforce's biggest base outside America.

3.  Warrington Walking Day, held towards the end of June, sees thousands of people from Churches of all denominations parade through the streets.

4. The glitzy Golden Gates at the Town Hall were originally designed for Sandringham House but were rejected by Queen Victoria .............

5. The town has a history of wire manufacture, and until their rebranding as the Wolves, the town's successful Rugby League side were nicknamed The Wire.

The above article was brought to my attention by a member of the C-C Organ Supporters Group as soon as he had read it.

I decided to ask the Editor of Cheshire Life to consider doing an article about the Parr Hall Organ.

During the course of the preparation of the article, their reporter, Robert Beale, wanted to see and hear the organ, and I arranged a date with a member of the Parr Hall staff, only to be greeted on the day by his colleague, who said the date had been changed to the following week, without us being told.

Roger Fisher, who was to demonstrate the organ, had travelled from Holywell, North Wales, and Robert Beale had driven from Manchester to be there. We were told that the WBC Press Officer would need to be present at any future meetings.

The first thing the reporter said to the Director of Culture Warrington was that this article was rapidly turning into one about how inefficiently the Borough Council was run.

They wouldn't even let us into the hall !! To calm down the situation, we were invited into Pyramid for a cup of tea, and straight away, the reporter got out his note book to record all that Roger Fisher could tell him about the importance of the instrument.

The following week, we were allowed into the hall, and afterwards we were taken to Pyramid for a meeting with Jan Souness and Press Officer, Linda Fothergill.

This is the resulting article by Robert Beale, and Cheshire Life photographer, John Cocks.

http://www.cheshirelife.co.uk/out-about/preserving_the_cavaille_coll_organ_at_parr_hall_warrington_1_3782813

Some of you may now understand the reason for my cynicism.

The more I hear - the more I am convinced that there is a vetting procedure, because they will not want people like you and me to tell it as it is.

This whole fiasco is nothing more than a PR and box ticking exercise, and the sooner 'those in authority' are more accountable, then the better.

Warrington Corporation and Warrington Borough Council were negligent of their responsibility to look after the structural condition of Walton Hall, the result being that parts of it developed into such a poor condition, that these buildings had to be demolished.

Not long ago, they tried to sell off the hall, and it was only through opposition to this that they were prevented from doing so.

I will never tire of championing the cause of an instrument which is regarded by many as a world class organ.

This too has been neglected for years. There never has been, and never will be any interest in the future of the organ by its custodians.

In essence, I have been doing the duties that a Curator would have done, with regard to the Parr Hall organ.

I know it is a 'niche' interest, but that doesn't mean to say it should be neglected. It is, and has been, a part of this town's Heritage since 1926, when Warrington Corporation bought it for £2,000 and installed it in the Parr Hall.  The efforts of Alderman A. Bennett JP, Dr. M. Darby, W.H. Payton and T. Tanner were pivotal in persuading the Council to make the purchase to replace the existing organ.

The Warrington Borough Council have spent a lot of money on being advised by Independent Organ Advisor, Ian Bell, but they have chosen NOT to take his advice about it needing to be regularly maintained.

erm... why do you assume that the likes of myself will sit there as some kind of silent lapdog?

If you have anything you want me to ask, let me know but I certainly won't be the quiet one at the back of the room

erm... why do you assume that the likes of myself will sit there as some kind of silent lapdog?

If you have anything you want me to ask, let me know but I certainly won't be the quiet one at the back of the room

Just a wild stab in the dark but I bet any questions you receive will involve a certain organ :wink:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you get started Baz :D  

Can you take detailed notes on the day for us lesser mortals please :wink: 

Bazj, if you are as articulate at the meeting, as you are in print, then they will sit up and listen to what you have to say on any subject.

Dizzy, I hope that it's not just 'the organ' that will be brought out into the open (I chose my words carefully).

There will be many there who will want to air other aspects of our Heritage and Culture.

PJ, I will pass, on your comment.

You will need to be aware that you will be up against the 'top brass' of Culture Warrington, and not just Janice.

If Bazj trusts me with his e-mail address, I can send him one or two PDFs to circulate at the meeting - most important one, being the BIOS Historic Organ Certifcate which was awarded in June.

Take a look at the  G*****n webs

ite they have just put up the details for the meeting with an email contact for those that want to go. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Evil Sid - and I appreciate the comment you have made to this W**** G*****n  article.

The time may have come for us to e-mail the Chief Executive of WBC !!!

http://www.culturewarrington.org/about-us/meet-the-board/

I can give e-mail addresses of those significant people who I am sure must know by now what is going on !!!

W**** G*****n have now added 'The event is now fully booked.'

But the second comment is worth reading.

Take a look at the  G*****n website they have just put up the details for the meeting with an email contact for those that want to go. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't see it anywhere on their pages so cant see the comments either, has it all been deleted now ?

How strange as I even scrolled down their news page and couldn't see that earlier.  The same article with the words 'The event is now fully booked' is also in todays printed paper.

What's the point of putting it in the paper telling people it's on and full already :roll::lol: 

How strange as I even scrolled down their news page and couldn't see that earlier.  The same article with the words 'The event is now fully booked' is also in todays printed paper.

What's the point of putting it in the paper telling people it's on and full already :roll::lol: 

Something to be proud of I suppose, unless it is a very tiny venue and then questions should be asked.  At least it shows many folk are interested in our towns heritage and culture

p.s.  it is only the second best local news provider anyway :wink: 

How did you get this confirmed? have you actually received a ticket/invitation?

A council lackey, dressed in red hunting jacket, white jodhpurs and knee length polished boots hand delivered it on a silver salver, whilst bowing to show all due deference.  How do you think?

I am still hoping that my place is actually booked for this event however I don't really believe there will be much opportunity for members of the general public to express their views - unless of course their views reflect those of the organisers!

Note that on the Agenda there is a half hour session for not just a 'debate' but a 'a positive debate'. This will probably mean (as has been done before in stage-managed public participation  sessions) that suggestions for discussion will have to be submitted prior to the debate and only those that will result in a positive outcome, reflecting the viewpoint organisers will be chosen for discussion. 

The venue has probably been chosen precisely because it is too small to get many members of the general public in.  The Parr Hall would have been the most appropriate venue - but then the CC organ could not have gone unnoticed!

The date chosen for the meeting is on a day the Parr Hall is already booked up - it also coincides with an Alice in Wonderland exhibition in the library which will obviously be regarded as handy as an  illustration of  'Warrington promoting it's culture'. 

In an attempt to limit the damage done by the Culture Report it seems WBC have actually increased the damage to their funding bids by showing once again their failure to grasp the concept of  ' community led local development'.

• Upvote 1

I am still hoping that my place is actually booked for this event however I don't really believe there will be much opportunity for members of the general public to express their views - unless of course their views reflect those of the organisers!

Note that on the Agenda there is a half hour session for not just a 'debate' but a 'a positive debate'. This will probably mean (as has been done before in stage-managed public participation  sessions) that suggestions for discussion will have to be submitted prior to the debate and only those that will result in a positive outcome, reflecting the viewpoint organisers will be chosen for discussion. 

The venue has probably been chosen precisely because it is too small to get many members of the general public in.  The Parr Hall would have been the most appropriate venue - but then the CC organ could not have gone unnoticed!

The date chosen for the meeting is on a day the Parr Hall is already booked up - it also coincides with an Alice in Wonderland exhibition in the library which will obviously be regarded as handy as an  illustration of  'Warrington promoting it's culture'. 

In an attempt to limit the damage done by the Culture Report it seems WBC have actually increased the damage to their funding bids by showing once again their failure to grasp the concept of  ' community led local development'.

I agree whole-heartedly with every word you have said, Sha.

Your final sentence is the essence of all of this, in that the WBC have in fact scored an 'own goal' by their handling of the planning of this meeting.

I sincerley hope that Dizzy was right, when she said that Council members read this forum.

Saying it as it is, is the only way !!

It doesn't matter if they read it, if they refuse to do anything about it. When was the last time a councillor went into bat for the people of Warrington against the general approach of the council? All we ever get, as Steve Parish has done here, is endless criticism for not just blindly accepting whatever they say and do. And any chance that arises to raise concerns is stage managed or just ignored completely.  

It doesn't matter if they read it, if they refuse to do anything about it. When was the last time a councillor went into bat for the people of Warrington against the general approach of the council?

Probably in 1969, Grey_man, when Coucillor Harold Edwards let it be known that the Warrington Town Council had negotiated a scrap value of £105 with a local scrap merchant for the Parr Hall organ.

How did you get this confirmed? have you actually received a ticket/invitation?

Probably not much help to you Sha but I have just (well finally) received an email saying  'unfortunately this day is fully booked''  but it also says I have been put on the reserve list in case anyone happens to cancel.

I wonder how big the reserve list is....

Did you phone to book your place or email them ?  Have you tried ringing to ask if you are actually included ?