Warrington named the worst place in Britain for culture

Dizzy

On the subject of the paintingThe Triumph of Silenus (copy after the studio of Peter Paul Rubens), Thomas Robson (1798–1871), in the Warrington Museum & Art Gallery -

This painting is only one of 58 attributed to or by Thomas Robson held by the Warrington Museum & Art Gallery.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/artists/thomas-robson

A member of the 'Warrington Cavaille-Coll Organ' Facebook group has come up with the following suggestion -

'I think the Cavaille-Coll more rewarding than the painting. Sell it and restore the organ with the proceeds.

It's probably worth £10 million so you'd have cash left over for demotic cultural projects

eg George Formby experience, Rolling Stones exhibition, etc.'

https://warringtonobserver.wordpress.com/2013/11/25/50-years-since-the-rolling-stones-played-at-parr-hall/

with the magnificent 1870 Cavaillé-Coll Organ clearly visible in the background.

Over to you !!

I have been much amused at the way this debate has wandered to and from the initial topic.  I have looked for the "official" definition of the word "culture" and found a great many. I think the one that appeals to me most is

"The arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively"

That being so, it is probably true that Warrington  does languish somewhere near the bottom of the pile. Equal last with a great many others, however.:

• Upvote 1

On the subject of the paintingThe Triumph of Silenus (copy after the studio of Peter Paul Rubens), Thomas Robson (1798–1871), in the Warrington Museum & Art Gallery -

This painting is only one of 58 attributed to or by Thomas Robson held by the Warrington Museum & Art Gallery.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/artists/thomas-robson

A member of the 'Warrington Cavaille-Coll Organ' Facebook group has come up with the following suggestion -

'I think the Cavaille-Coll more rewarding than the painting. Sell it and restore the organ with the proceeds.

It's probably worth £10 million so you'd have cash left over for demotic cultural projects

eg George Formby experience, Rolling Stones exhibition, etc.'

https://warringtonobserver.wordpress.com/2013/11/25/50-years-since-the-rolling-stones-played-at-parr-hall/

with the magnificent 1870 Cavaillé-Coll Organ clearly visible in the background.

Over to you !!

I doubt that it is worth anything like that unfortunately,  it isn't a Rubens you know. 

Please could someone provide the author of this article with a dictionary so that she can learn the difference between heritage and culture? You'd think that using the findings of the Heritage Index and repeatedly referring to it and to English Heritage would have been a giveaway...
Please could someone provide the author of this article with a dictionary so that she can learn the difference between heritage and culture? You'd think that using the findings of the Heritage Index and repeatedly referring to it and to English Heritage would have been a giveaway...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/britains-worst-places-for-culture-named-10515216.html#commentsDiv

There are just two comments to this, one of which is -

'Please could someone provide the author of this article with a dictionary so that she can tell the difference between heritage and culture?

You'd think that using the findings of the Heritage Index and repeatedly referring to it and to English Heritage would have been a giveaway.'

Please correct me if I'm wrong  ....... my knowledge is sparse on the subject of semantics.

This pipe organ is the Heritage of the the French town of Seysses in the Midi-Pyrénées region.

The playing of it is Culture.

https://youtu.be/sAm1NEkbiOE

Sorry but that is not a great sound to me, I know it's subjective but I cannot imagine a whole evening of that.  Probably explains the poor ticket sales.  I have concluded that from my point of view the Caramel Cup Organ is better seen and not heard.

Sorry but that is not a great sound to me, I know it's subjective but I cannot imagine a whole evening of that.  Probably explains the poor ticket sales.  I have concluded that from my point of view the Caramel Cup Organ is better seen and not heard.

Horses for Courses P J

With respect, I probably wouldn't want to hear your choice in music.

Try this for size - https://youtu.be/KlCi4jjkMSk played on Aristide Cavaillé-Coll's final and greatest 'ouvre' built in 1898 for Abbaye Saint-Ouen de Rouen, Normandy, France

Best heard in full, on a good pair of desk-top speakers, remembering that he is playing from three lines of music, and one of them with his feet !!

I dare you to come to the next recital in the Parr Hall and I will personally buy your ticket (and a couple of drinks in the interval as well !!!)

I look forward with anicipation to your reply. :)

I would sooner not play your link but many thanks for warning me of its contents. It is not a good sound in my opinion and as I said most folk clearly agree with me as you can't sell tickets for the recitals. As for going to the Parr Hall for the recital, I'll pass thanks. However clever the player is if the noise coming out of his instrument is not to my liking it doesn't make an iota of difference. I wonder if a book would be a better read if the author typed it using his feet ????

I would sooner not play your link but many thanks for warning me of its contents. It is not a good sound in my opinion and as I said most folk clearly agree with me as you can't sell tickets for the recitals. As for going to the Parr Hall for the recital, I'll pass thanks. However clever the player is if the noise coming out of his instrument is not to my liking it doesn't make an iota of difference. I wonder if a book would be a better read if the author typed it using his feet

Thank you - but this doesn't warrant a reply.

I do have to admit that I didn't really like the music being played on those links either and I think I'd fall asleep if I had to sit through a whole evening of it.  :oops:
I found it quite depressing and rather uninspiring and not my taste at all but saying that I'm sure the actual sound is much better in real life with than on a you tube video.

That's just my opinion basted on my taste in music though but it's a fantastic organ and I'd hate to see it go from Warrington or just be left unused and to fall into disrepair.

Saying that I went into St Barnabas Church last year on their open day and a chap played their church organ for me after I cheekily asked him too.  The sound was amazing especially with the acoustics in the church
and of course the lovely setting, it gave me goose bumps. 

Is our Cavaille Organ only ever played on recital evenings? 

Maybe they should open up on a few Saturday afternoons and have someone in there playing it so people can just wander in and have a listen and see it, maybe more
people would then show some interest in it too having seen and heard it for real.  Like a little taster if you see what I mean.  
I'm presuming there are some people locally who can actually play it.  More might go to the recitals too once they get a taste of what it's like. 

I'd imagine most people in Warrington haven't even seen it let alone heard it and some probably don;t even know it's there or anything about it. 

I'd love to actually see it and have a listen (and armed with my camera of course too) but sadly I don't think I would ever go to a full recital evening unless they livened it up a bit  :oops:  

Have you got any Bobby Crush ???? all I am saying is that I really don't like the sound and would never dream of listening to it for a whole evening. It's a personal opinion. That said it does seem to be a very niche interest as not many people want to go and listen to it. As a peice of engineering I think it's beautiful. I imagine that it will one day get sold or given away.

The shortlist is out for the Turner Prize 2015.... and what a mixture of awe inspiring creations there are.... some of the highlights of this competition which carries a £25,000 prize are A Liverpool housing estate transformed by an art collective and an opera inspired by the violence of cartoons 

and this amazing piece of art that must have took literally minutes to create.... its up there with Michaelangelos finest if you ask me!

_82936526_turner-wermers.jpg

Emperors new clothes would have been a very appropriate title for this one

I think i will put my bid in for the turner prize based on that exhibit. It is sixteen pairs of jeans of various hues on a washing line. The titlle is "totally pants" :lol:

Can just imagine somebody picking one of those coats up and handing it in to lost property.

Stopped thinking of opera as art when they came out with Jerry Springer the musical.

• Upvote 1

The shortlist is out for the Turner Prize 2015.... and what a mixture of awe inspiring creations there are.... some of the highlights of this competition which carries a £25,000 prize are A Liverpool housing estate transformed by an art collective and an opera inspired by the violence of cartoons 

and this amazing piece of art that must have took literally minutes to create.... its up there with Michaelangelos finest if you ask me!

_82936526_turner-wermers.jpg

Emperors new clothes would have been a very appropriate title for this one

As I said a lot of  conceptual art is not my cup of tea but I cannot dismiss it as not art, same as you can't.  A lot of the Turner prize art is conceptual nowadays.

Well I have to say that if art has come to the point where some old coats thrown across the backs of some chairs is lauded as being worthy of a mojor prize, it is time to pull the plug on its public funding and instead give the money to more worthy causes such as the NHS

• Upvote 1

I had once had an exercise bike that came in very handy for hanging clothes on but i would not have called it art. I see there are some coats hung on the  chair backs in our living room ,I will get them photographed & sent to the people who matter. Oh,& not forgetting the half eaten packet of biscuits in the kitchen & dirty underwear on the bedroom floor....i could soon be a prolific artist.

• Upvote 1