Warrington named the worst place in Britain for culture

Dizzy

The Agenda I think will be merely to promote Warrington as the 'Cultural icon of the North' to prevent any damage being done by the RSA report to present or future funding applications.

I doubt any criticism of WBC will be allowed and suspect the list of attendees will be vetted to ensure the desired outcome of the meeting.

The Agenda I think will be merely to promote Warrington as the 'Cultural icon of the North' to prevent any damage being done by the RSA report to present or future funding applications.

I doubt any criticism of WBC will be allowed and suspect the list of attendees will be vetted to ensure the desired outcome of the meeting.

Do you have anything other than your own prejudice and paranoia to back this claim?  I know Janice Hayes who is heading this up and I can assure you I have never met anyone with as much passion and interest in our towns heritage.  Have you even tried to register for a ticket?  Are you bothered enough to go and put forward your views or are you simply content to snipe behind your anonymity? 

I understand that Sara Hilton, Head of Heritage Lottery Fund, North West, is looking forward to attending the Heritage Matters event on 21st November, 2015, and that she is very aware of the rich heritage in Warrington, and is working closely with Warrington Borough Council in response to the publication of the recent RSA Heritage Index.

HLS has invested over £6m in Warrington since 1994, most recently a £1.9m first round award for Walton Hall and Gardens.

hmmmmm you never know..... all this talk could just be a dead herring...

When I applied I got an automated response saying out of the office so I know it has been received.  Apparently the spam filter blocks some emails.  There is a phone number to use to bypass email.

In response to your questions PJ;

1) Do you have anything other than your own prejudice and paranoia to back this claim?

YES, my suspicions were confirmed by 'those who know'. Though one wouldn't need much more than half a brain to realise what the object of this me eting is.

2) Have you even tried to register for a ticket? YES, immediately it was advertised on WWW.

Apparently there is 'a list' being made.

3) Are you bothered enough to go and put forward your views.

YES. If I get a ticket I will.

Also for your information, I am aware of Janice Hayes' great interest and knowledge of Warrington's History. I remember her from Warrington library where, despite the sad lack of resources, she was extremely helpful and on numerous occasions managed to get books of a higher academic standard than Warrington stocked sent over from other libraries for me. For which I was very grateful.

As for your suggestion that Janice is 'heading this up' I am sure that she will be doing all the work organising the event but would it have been she who set the 'agenda'? I do hope she is not being unwittingly used to further other's agendas.

Warrington 'underestimated' in study naming town worst place in country for making most out of heritage.

http://www.warringto...ut_of_heritage/

Thank you so much for that link Hill Cliffe walker.

But Oh dear! Steven Broomhead doesn't seem to have recognised the irony in his words!
Roman ruins at Wilderspool - upon which a whacking great supermarket was allowed to be built!
Some remains of the old Burtonwood Airbase.
And look up at the (well neglected) architecture in Bridge street!

Key word for Warrington Heritage = RUINED!   (if not demolished!)

And oh dear! oh dear! oh dear! ........ The  'Culture Competition' prize,.............A Ticket for the 1st Warrington Wolves Home Game! 

Well, that'll certainly give Sarah Hilton an idea of the 'Cultural Standards'  WBC aspires to!

Couldn't  help but laugh at that though!  It reminded me of the Vladivar Vodka Competition. 1st prize One week in Warrington. 2nd prize Two weeks in Warrington!

PJ, do you not read the posts before you post your replies?

I wrote; "YES, my suspicions were confirmed by 'those who know'."

And I can assure you the source was as reliable as any that could be. Ask a few questions in the right places yourself!

Re your, "Not everything is a conspiracy you know".

You are not seriously going to tell me that after all the years of wanton destruction of our heritage and the behind closed doors antics of successive town councils that you believe that they have miraculously changed into an open, honest and transparent collective of Culture Vultures?

Re your, "If you get a ticket and I do come and introduce yourself, that would be erm interesting."

Yes, perhaps, but if your idea of 'interesting' is insult slinging I must forewarn you that I skipped finishing school!

Well now, there's only one way of finding out if applicants are vetted - I will personally apply for as ticket, having what has been decribed as 'one who has a passionate interest in the Heritage and Culture of this town', by none other than Owen Roberts, Sara Hilton's Office Manager Heritage Lottery Fund North West.

Even in this, http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/13791185.Warrington__underestimated__in_study_naming_town_worst_place_in_country_for_making_most_out_of_heritage/ there is no mention of one of Warrington's important assets, namely the organ in the Parr Hall, which seems to have been regarded by the Warrington Borough Council as more of a liability.

When I added this http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2015/11/04/chance-to-set-record-straight-on-warringtons-culture/ to the Warrington Cavaillé-Colll Organ' group on Facebook on 4th November, a group member who is from Cornwall, and lives in Buckinghamshire, made the following comment ' We know about its organ culture...take one world class instrument and subject it to a long period of neglect.'

I have become accustomed to NOT receiving replies to my e-mails to Culture Warrington, so seldom send them these days.

I have also become accustomed to their 'pie-crust promises', after being told that there would be two recitals a year - which was reduced to just the one this year.

If I am not allocated a ticket for the meeting on 21st November, I can only come to one conclusion.

Well now, there's only one way of finding out if applicants are vetted - I will personally apply for as ticket, having what has been decribed as 'one who has a passionate interest in the Heritage and Culture of this town', by none other than Owen Roberts, Sara Hilton's Office Manager Heritage Lottery Fund North West.

Even in this, http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/13791185.Warrington__underestimated__in_study_naming_town_worst_place_in_country_for_making_most_out_of_heritage/ there is no mention of one of Warrington's important assets, namely the organ in the Parr Hall, which seems to have been regarded by the Warrington Borough Council as more of a liability.

When I added this http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2015/11/04/chance-to-set-record-straight-on-warringtons-culture/ to the Warrington Cavaillé-Colll Organ' group on Facebook on 4th November, a group member who is from Cornwall, and lives in Buckinghamshire, made the following comment ' We know about its organ culture...take one world class instrument and subject it to a long period of neglect.'

I have become accustomed to NOT receiving replies to my e-mails to Culture Warrington, so seldom send them these days.

I have also become accustomed to their 'pie-crust promises', after being told that there would be two recitals a year - which was reduced to just the one this year.

If I am not allocated a ticket for the meeting on 21st November, I can only come to one conclusion.

the organ isn't the  only thing either HCW ( believe it or not) , If one recital per year is such a dramatic financial flop little wonder they don't want to put on more.

the organ isn't the  only thing either HCW ( believe it or not) , If one recital per year is such a dramatic financial flop little wonder they don't want to put on more.

The Heritage Lottery Fund has given Warrington Museum a grant of £672,500 to turn Gallery 7 (the old Bird Room) into an exciting new space to showcase some of the bizarre and wonderful items in the Museum’s collections.

There is no charge to view his exhibit. 

In October, 2012, a member of the Cavaillé-Coll Organ Suppporters Group said that we could benefit from the appointment of a Borough Organist.

When I mentioned this to Professor Ian Tracey (Organist Titulaire at Liverpool Cathedral AND Liverpool City Organist), he related to me some very relevant information from some 37 years ago of which no one else was aware.
This is as follows:- 
Ian Tracey said that on 23rd May, 1978 he gave a Recital in the Parr Hall which was broadcast by BBC Radio Merseyside.
Peter Spaul produced the programme for the BBC and wanted the organ to live on, so after the Recital he suggested to Ian Tracey that he should offer his services as Borough Organist.

They proved, that with proper publicity, an audience could be found and Ian remembered that the Parr Hall was alarmingly full.
He was, of course, only the Assistant Organist at Liverpool Cathedral at the time and he had a lot to offer.
Ian subsequently wrote to the Council and offered his services 'gratis' as Borough Organist.

HE RECEIVED NO RESPONSE AT ALL.

The Organ Retention Committee and the C-C Organ Supporters Group knew nothing of this offer. It had not been passed on to them by the Council. If it had, they would have been overjoyed with the news.
One can only assume that for whatever reason, the Borough Council decided not to reply to Ian Tracey's generous offer.
As a result of this, we were indeed the losers.

It is to be hoped that Culture Warrington may consider appointing a Borough Organist, as this WOULD undoubtably secure the future of the organ.

Five years ago, Ian Tracey began a series of Lunchtime recitals at St George's Hall in Liverpool, from scratch.
They now have a regular audience of some 200 - 300, and  sometimes it exceeds 400 ! Tall oaks from little acorns grow !
Professor Ian Tracey has been able to convince Liverpool City Council that the famous Henry Willis organ in Saint George's Hall was worth them investing money into.

I think this would be the ideal time for serious consideration to be given to the appointment of a Borough Organist and this is the reason I am giving you this detailed information.
We would then have an opportunity to redress the situation with Ian.

If the Warrington Borough Council had NOT chosen to ignore Ian Tracey's generous offer to be Borough Organist in 1978, then I can assure you that things would have been very different now.

What has the bird room renovation to do with the Organ?

How many came to the last recital and how much did it cost?

Will the borough organist play for free? If not how much would he want?

How many came almost 4 decades ago is irrelevant to todays tastes and interests.  I imagine in 1978 many more people attended church too.  What attendances are in Liverpool are irrelevant to Warrington.

As lovely a thing as the organ is to look at it has a very niche following. Of course your appreciation society are going to claim that the appointment of a borough organist would be a benefit, it probably would be for the handful that entails.   Appointing a borough organist will not bring the masses flocking in and will actually mean this museum piece will cost the town even more.  

What has the bird room renovation to do with the Organ?

How many came to the last recital and how much did it cost?

Will the borough organist play for free? If not how much would he want?

How many came almost 4 decades ago is irrelevant to todays tastes and interests.  I imagine in 1978 many more people attended church too.  What attendances are in Liverpool are irrelevant to Warrington.

As lovely a thing as the organ is to look at it has a very niche following. Of course your appreciation society are going to claim that the appointment of a borough organist would be a benefit, it probably would be for the handful that entails.   Appointing a borough organist will not bring the masses flocking in and will actually mean this museum piece will cost the town even more.  

I was warned that negativity is a characteristic of the majority of folk in Warrington.

Let's call the whole thing off !!

I am sure that the scrap merchant will still be interested in acquiring the organ.

Whilst I am all for supporting the arts and culture I don't think it should be at any cost.  Perhaps if you tried to answer my questions instead of chucking all your toys out of your pram I would better understand your opinion.  I admire your passion for your organ but am merely pointing out why Culture Warrington may be reluctant to keep funding such poorly attended events.

Just because something doesn't appeal to the masses doesn't mean it shouldn't be preserved for future generations to experience.

Although I am not a fan of organ music I can fully understand the value of this organ and would hope it can be retained in Warrington.

Reading back through the thread - if email has been the only line of communication it doesn't mean things are being ignored.

I am sure the council receive thousands of emails every week and they can easily be missed and lost.

Most gmail accounts get put in spam.

There must be an agenda for this meeting.

We need more information before we are able to decide whether or not to go.

I just found the events itinerary on the museums website. Looks like it is a full 5 hours after all. 

Details as follows...

Culture Warrington invites you to consider why heritage matters at Warrington Museum & Gallery on Saturday 21 November 2015, from 10.30-15.30.

If you believe that Warrington has a unique heritage which should be preserved, celebrated and promoted then join us for this free event to build a local network to strengthen our heritage offer.

• Have a positive debate about Warrington’s ranking in the RSA’s Heritage Index
  • Discover how heritage can create a vibrant town and resilient community
  • Network in the Heritage Forum
  • Help plan our 2020 Vision for Warrington’s Heritage
Schedule 1 Morning Session

10.30-11.00

Registration, Networking and Refreshment

11-00-11.15

Welcome and Introduction from Janice Hayes (Collections Heritage & Archives Manager at Culture Warrington & Warrington’s Heritage Champion)

11.15 – 11.35

Warrington and the Heritage Index – Jonathan Schifferes (Associate Director of the RSA) outlines the intentions of the Heritage Index and explains Warrington’s current ranking.

11.35-12 noon

Making the Most of Your Heritage – Sara Hilton (Head of Heritage Lottery Fund North West) outlines the value of heritage for places and communities and the need for a vision to realise its potential.

12.00-12.30

Heritage Forum 1: What is Warrington’s Heritage & Does it Matter Now? A positive debate about the issues raised by our keynote speakers.

12.30-12.55

Transforming Official Records to tell the Story of Warrington – Stephen Anderson (Associate Director of Buttress Architects) and Janice Hayes explain how the Victorian vision for a People’s Museum can be realised as a 21st Century Heritage Hub.

13.00-13.45

Lunch Break * (see practicalities section)

Schedule 2 Afternoon Sessions

13.50-14:00

An Introduction to Warrington’s 2020 Heritage VisionJanice Hayes

Heritage Forum 2: Showcasing Local Heritage Groups

A series of short presentations highlighting current initiatives and partnership opportunities.

Warrington’s Heritage Calendar 2016-2020 – facilitated by Janice Hayes.

What are the opportunities to celebrate and promote Warrington’s Heritage from annual events such as Heritage Open Days to upcoming anniversaries?

Heritage Forum 3: What Campaigns Should We Focus On To Improve Our Heritage Profile?

How Do We Protect Our Heritage At Risk? Do Want More Blue plaques or a programme of Heritage trails? Your opportunity to propose the agenda.

How Will We Make Warrington’s Heritage Matter? Concluding session led by Janice Hayes looking back on the day to draw up practical steps for creating our

2020 Heritage Vision and creating a local heritage network.

15.30-16.00

Sessions end and networking opportunities.

Practicalities

1) Registering for Heritage Matters

Spaces for this important event are limited so you need to pre-book. You can do this by

PLAN A:  Email Janice Hayes at jhayes@culturewarrington.org  BUT please be aware that if you use a Gmail account our very efficient SPAM filter may block your email so you may prefer…

PLAN B: Book by phone on 01925 442394 (Janice Hayes) or try 01925 442390 or 442015

2) Lunch arrangements

Although we do not have a Museum café there are numerous eating places nearby or if you bring your own you can use our drinks and snack machine too.

3) Transport & parking

Warrington Museum is within walking distance of the train and bus stations and there are several public car parks nearby.

Direct link here - http://www.warringtonmuseum.co.uk/whats-on/event/warringtons-heritage-matters/