Acceptable Forum Language

Bill

This is a question and not intended as a criticism but I want to discuss the level of censorship with regard to language used here on the forums.

I maintain that this forum is used by more or less exclusively by adults and I think it should allow occasional minor swear words especially when used within context. I recently referred to an Internet scammer that robbed me of ?500 as a ?robbing bastard? and Dizzy very politely edited this to ?robbing ba***rd?

Now to my way of thinking, only a three year old wouldn?t understand this so is there any point in changing bastard into ba***rd? Who are we trying to protect here and does a couple of stars make it really any less offensive?

Look at this from the same section.

why doesnt the government tell the EU to get f*cked?

To me this isn?t a mild expletive with or without a star but it?s not been removed. I don?t really want anyone moving my words into the same basket of acceptability as this.

I suppose what?s really getting up my nose here is that I?ve been a poster on this forum since day one and by now it should be pretty obvious that I?m not one of the unwashed foul mouthed undesirable that the forums trying to keep out. So, if I find it more appropriate to use a mild swear word to describe someone that?s just robbed me then sorry but I?m going to use it. :shock::lol:

I once heard an interview with an old lady that?d been beaten black and blue by a couple of muggers. During the interview, she described the pair as a couple of bastards. The editors rightly didn?t beep out her words even though it was the early news because it was in context and in any case, to do so would have been disrespectful. :roll:

Diz, I?m an old man as well these days and I don?t routinely use bad language but you can discipline me anytime! :wink:

Rant over but interesting to see what others think?

Bill :)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be old fashioned but unfortunately the use of bad language seems now to be the norm. Object to anyone in public about using bad language and they regard you as a dinosaur.

The moderation of bad language by the use of **** on this forum for my part is welcome. :oops:

I'm with Dizzy on this one. Can see Bill's argument but as I'm old fashioned I don't like bad language - or even beeped out entries.

Just seems to me to another slight lowering of standards to allow it as the norm. The old argument is that once a ball of string starts unravelling, there is no stopping it.

Happy days

Dizzy is a relatively new member of the moderation team and to be fair hasn't had any real direction as we try and leave it to common sense.

The forum rules actually ask people to refrain from inapproporiate language - and it is a question of where do you draw the line.

The rules also state that using **** instead of the actual word is also not appropriate.

How does one define a swear word - the b word we are talking about is used in every day life and is in the dictionary.

I don't think Bill's use of the word was inappropriate - and I don't really think Dizzy's intervention was inappropriate either.

So lets not all fall out as the post Bill was refering to didn't lose its meaning or impact.

The one he points out with the F word should have been totally removed though :wink:

Thank you Gary.

There?s no falling out here or having a go at the moderators but I believe the forum should at least try to embrace a little of what for many has become the norm. It is after all primarily a forum for adults rather than children and from what I?ve seen over the years there?s not been much need to moderate the postings of the regulars like myself.

Over the top bad language as in the example in my original post should be completely removed rather than just a couple of stars inserted and that goes for abbreviations like WTF that seem to be creeping in these days.

No-one has pointed out that it is quite possible, for people with a command of the English language, to express the strongest of opinions without using swear words.

And of course, the "b" word referred to by Bill is not a swear word anyway.

Care to define what does constitute a swear word then Egbert?

No-one has pointed out that it is quite possible, for people with a command of the English language, to express the strongest of opinions without using swear words.

And of course, the "b" word referred to by Bill is not a swear word anyway.

Care to define what does constitute a swear word then Egbert?

Can we just allow common sense to prevail - cracking new avatar btw - cracking likeness :lol:

I'm always amused by the warning given on TV, that the following prog ccontains "strong" language - When there's nothing "strong" about it at all, it's "foul" language and a good immediate indication of the breeding of the user. Some terms, like b*std for example, are dictionary definitions; but modern society appears to be more shocked when they are used in their correct context than used as a "swear" word. :?

Hiya Bill

Sorry but I'm still gigling about the fact that you wan't me to discipline you :lol::lol: I'll try and reply seriously to you though :wink:

I recently referred to an Internet scammer that robbed me of ?500 as a ?robbing bastard? and Dizzy very politely edited this to ?robbing ba***rd?

I actually felt it was a rather fitting word under the circumstances Bill and I did appologise for editing it :wink: Even I use the word occasionally too :oops::wink:

But my level or reasoning for editing it on the forum was that if I had left yours then it would have been deemed to be acceptable by all. If all the youngsters on the footy/wolves sections etc saw it was acceptable in one instance then they may all have started using it too in everyday 'chat'. I don't mind the occasional 'word' but not when it is used in every day talk 8)

Now to my way of thinking, only a three year old wouldn?t understand this so is there any point in changing bastard into ba***rd? Who are we trying to protect here and does a couple of stars make it really any less offensive?

Mmmmm.... I see what you mean but I think it softens it slightly whilst in the case of your post re the scammers it was still an 'effective' way of describing them. However, I would not use *'s to alter a word that was more offensive I would DELETE and replace.

Look at this from the same section.
why doesnt the government tell the EU to get f*cked?

To me this isn?t a mild expletive with or without a star but it?s not been removed. I don?t really want anyone moving my words into the same basket of acceptability as this.

:oops::shock::oops: I didn't see that one :evil: and the other moderators/admin mustn't have either.

YES it defiantely should have been removed. But then it would have to be removed from here too which will make your post confusing. 8)

Diz, I?m an old man as well these days and I don?t routinely use bad language but you can discipline me anytime! :wink:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::wink: There are indeed some very strange people on this forum but whatever makes you happy Bill :wink::lol:

Dizzy is a relatively new member of the moderation team and to be fair hasn't had any real direction as we try and leave it to common sense.

No need to make excuses for me Gary :wink::lol: I've been a poster for 5 years so I should have read the rules regarding the use of **'s. I didn't know I was expected to have some common sense if I was a moderator though... ooooh heck :shock::lol: How come Peter is a Mod/Admin then as he hasn't got any :lol::lol:

Bill has raised a good point and I don't mind him questioning why I edit things... beats talking about road speeds eh Bill :wink:

It's also interesting to read other people's views on how they feel if they read or hear any form of bad language.

How does one define a swear word - the b word we are talking about is used in every day life and is in the dictionary.

I don't think Bill's use of the word was inappropriate - and I don't really think Dizzy's intervention was inappropriate either.

Does that mean the 'b' word is now acceptable then or does it depend on the context it is used in :?

I used to moan at Obs's for his use of the 'b' word when he used it to refer to children born out of wedlock... but thinking about it I don't think they were ever removed or edited and I couldn't do it then.

Bill's post was ok really due to the circumstances but I have explained why I edited on the other post

but if I said "Gary you are being a complete 'b' " then would that need editing or deleting :?:wink:

So lets not all fall out ....

...don't think anyone was were they as we are all far to nice to fall out with each other :D

Just out of interest does anyone find these offensive or should they not be used as I think I use them sometimes in my posts :oops:

'S**t' (posted with the *'s)

'bugger'

I think I have also posted this from time to time too :oops:

'to***ers' (withe the *'s)

and yes I have also used

'b****rd (with the *'s) too :oops:

Let's nip this in the bud NOW.

Is the gout playing up Bill or the old war wound?

WHY raise the subject? You may not have noticed, but we are fairly beasy going on what we censor these days, and everyone should be pleased.

NOW, if people want to go back to the old days of strict censorship, just let me know and I will oblige. If not, take it like a man or woman. It isn't painful.

IMO, this easing of things has enhanced the Forum, although sometimes I do consider that there are too many *** creeping in and will occasionally edit posts.

That's my sermon for the day. :wink:

I believe commonsense should prevail and everyone without exception who posts on here is well aware as to what is and what is not offensive and if someone should step over the mark for any reason, then the rest of us must leave it to the Moderators to take action suit the offending situation.

Since I started posting here many years ago, my posts have always included smile at the end. It's my way of showing that irrespective of what's being discussed, there's never any insult intended and the post isn't intended to be hostile.

Posts without a smile from me are extreemly rare but that's the only time to worry or to start biteing back.

Now Peter, go back and read it again but try doing it without the red mist please.

Let's nip this in the bud NOW.

Flippin' heck Peter whats wrong with you today :shock:

Nip what in the bud NOW... :shock: Gosh moderators can be such grumpy 'b's at times :lol::lol::P

Dont worry Bill your topic has not got my shackles or defences up even though I was named and shamed :lol::oops: I've found it really interesting and it's a good discussion topic.

Whenever I have changed anyone's posts they themselves have always been really nice about it just as you were Bill and some have even sent me pm's... yes others have given me a bit of stick for changing someone elses post but I just class that as usual forum banter and a bit of fun on their part. I expect it anyway and I would miss it if it didn't happen :D:lol:

I have never used foul language, as I can express myself adequately without having to resort to it. However, I have no problem when someone like Bill who, from the standards of his posts, regards standards highly, resorts to the "B" word in anger at his 'phone scam. Can I suggest that all dodgy ****s be deleted completely, apart from S**T, which is my favourite word.

I can fully understand why Wingy :lol::lol:

PS Victor Is your favourite with or without the **'s ?

I do believe you have ommitted to mention another one of your allowed favourites though... think of 'councillors' and it should come back to you :lol::wink::lol:

As a solution to all this maybe Gary could compile a list of acceptable language and also one based on the actual poster and their past standards :lol: