Primark

Cleopatra

Well people were asking for it and now they are getting it. Primark will open in Golden Squ., in April of next year.

Now what affect can you see it having on the other stores in Golden Square, or indeed the whole of what is left of the town centre? Will it, for example, be the final nail in the coffin of Marks & Spencer? Will the other stores be lowering the prices of their over-priced goods to compete? Will it see other stores falling by the way and closing down? People seem to believe that it will produce many jobs and so take people off the unemployment list. Indeed it should do, but, will the places of the newly employed be taken by the newly unemployed as other companies trim back their staff to reduce their overheads to compete with Primark, not forgetting those who will be made redundant if and when other stores are forced to cease trading?:unsure:

Well people were asking for it and now they are getting it. Primark will open in Golden Squ., in April of next year.

Now what affect can you see it having on the other stores in Golden Square, or indeed the whole of what is left of the town centre? Will it, for example, be the final nail in the coffin of Marks & Spencer? Will the other stores be lowering the prices of their over-priced goods to compete? Will it see other stores falling by the way and closing down? People seem to believe that it will produce many jobs and so take people off the unemployment list. Indeed it should do, but, will the places of the newly employed be taken by the newly unemployed as other companies trim back their staff to reduce their overheads to compete with Primark, not forgetting those who will be made redundant if and when other stores are forced to cease trading?:unsure:

Competition between stores can only be good for the consumers!

Depends what 'competition' is though. Personally I'd like to see a progressive strategy from the council that actively supported local businesses in the town centre over the major chains. It would keep money in the local economy and make the town centre more interesting and unique. And I don't see why it would disadvantage the major stores unduly who can afford to take a small knock from a family owned shop. What we have at the moment is the council going all starry eyed whenever a chain is kind enough to meet them and forgetting that places like Bridge Street need local businesses. I think they need different rates regimes and possibly incentives to locate in certain areas along with promotional support and adequate, low cost parking.

I think I may have gone a bit Royston Vasey but I think the point is valid.

• Upvote 1

Depends what 'competition' is though. Personally I'd like to see a progressive strategy from the council that actively supported local businesses in the town centre over the major chains. It would keep money in the local economy and make the town centre more interesting and unique. And I don't see why it would disadvantage the major stores unduly who can afford to take a small knock from a family owned shop. What we have at the moment is the council going all starry eyed whenever a chain is kind enough to meet them and forgetting that places like Bridge Street need local businesses. I think they need different rates regimes and possibly incentives to locate in certain areas along with promotional support and adequate, low cost parking.

I think I may have gone a bit Royston Vasey but I think the point is valid.

Not here to defend the council - BUT they have given special incentives to around 40 local businesses to ensure Hatters in the town centre is fully occupied.

I would say that shows some signs of a "positive strategy."

Is this not the firm that achieves its low prices by selling cheap goods made by slave labour in Third World countries?

Is it not also the firm that draws its custom mainly from the Under-20s?

Can't see it doing much to revive the local economy.

What Warrington desperately needs is some QUALITY shops, whether locally owned or not. But these firms seem to avoid us like the plague.

Not here to defend the council - BUT they have given special incentives to around 40 local businesses to ensure Hatters in the town centre is fully occupied.

Gary. I wasn't aware of that so that's both great news and dampened my fire :) Or whatever the vernacular is.

It seems a shame that Primark wasn't interested in either the old Boots or TJ Hughes stores as these would have encouraged shoppers out of the Golden Square, but I suppose their main rivals are New Look and TKMaxx so it was inevitable that they would wish to be in the main shopping centre.

As Egbert said, these shops are known for their low cost clothes aimed at the younger shopper and not necessarily for their quality, so probably won't affect M & S or Debenhams.

Love it or hate it Primark is a magnet to a certain age & income group & i know people who travel miles to surrounding towns because there is a Primark there , then any other shopping that has to be done is not done in Warrington either .

As for grey man's suggestion of old & new ,Llandudno is a classic example with the old local shops in the old town centre that still seem to be flourishing & a retail park 300 yards up the road.The difference in Llandudno though is that on street parking is allowed ,whereas in Warrington ,as in a lot of modern town centres ,parking is drawing people away from the old town centre towards the Golden Square , Cockhedge & Riverside.I wonder ,was it the death knell for the town centre when the multi storey was put in Legh St ,is it just too far for the average shopper to walk? Maybe a better outcome would have been a car park in say the Fish Market instead to serve Bridge St as well.

Is this not the firm that achieves its low prices by selling cheap goods made by slave labour in Third World countries?

Is it not also the firm that draws its custom mainly from the Under-20s?

Can't see it doing much to revive the local economy.

What Warrington desperately needs is some QUALITY shops, whether locally owned or not. But these firms seem to avoid us like the plague.

So!, do you think they are any different than any of the other large retail companies, Fair Trade policies - I don't think so. :roll:

This is interesting and wonder why all of a sudden all the units are taken. While initiatives like this should always be welcome as I understand it the Golden Square and the hatters bit is not owned by the council. So the question is why have the initiatives been given to the Golden Square and not the town center were the council invested a lot of money in providing skittles, fountains and other features?

was it the death knell for the town centre when the multi storey was put in Legh St ,is it just too far for the average shopper to walk? Maybe a better outcome would have been a car park in say the Fish Market instead to serve Bridge St as well.

But there is a second multi story near the market which serves the town center. The advantage of a shopping mall it is weather proof.

So!, do you think they are any different than any of the other large retail companies, Fair Trade policies - I don't think so. :roll:

As the old saying goes " There is no sentiment in business " ,neither is there any sentiment in consumers pockets in times of hardship.

By the way Skittles i forgot about the other multistorey car park!

This is interesting and wonder why all of a sudden all the units are taken. While initiatives like this should always be welcome as I understand it the Golden Square and the hatters bit is not owned by the council. So the question is why have the initiatives been given to the Golden Square and not the town center were the council invested a lot of money in providing skittles, fountains and other features?

Your understanding is not entirely correct.