The Bins

boris1066

Well my local bloody Labour councillor can come and tell me personally if that is the case..... because he/she will be getting my rubbish on his/her doorstep every other week without a doubt

If only everyone else would so the same instead of meekly accepting whatever the council says like they are supreme beings. People do tend to forget that they, the council/council workers, are their servants not their masters.

I'm with Baz on this one as there has been noting mentioned around here either and there's no way we could go two full weeks without having our black bin emptied and neither could a lot of families around here. In the summer (when we get one) the bins would stink to high heaven too.

If it is true... has there been any form of consultation and have Parish Councils been consulted or advised etc too ?

I can see what will happen around here as a lot of lazy people leave their bins in the back access roads 24/7 so they will just stick their excess binsacks out there too live they do at xmas:evil: The foxes and rats will love it :roll:

• Upvote 1

Dizzy... you are right to agree with me of course!!

But if this nonsense does go ahead, will we be getting a rebate on council tax or will this lovely (we are all for the people) Liebour council just fritter it away on Chief Executives pay or parties for the Mayor or on expenses??

Maybe the Jones woman would have something to say about it? she has on most unimportant things so this must class as a biggie!!

But if this nonsense does go ahead, will we be getting a rebate on council tax or will this lovely (we are all for the people) Liebour council just fritter it away on Chief Executives pay or parties for the Mayor or on expenses??

They have to pay for the singing bins somehow. :roll:

It won't even really save any money!

A lot of people only need to put their black bins out fortnightly anyway,so there'll be pretty much the same number of bins to be emptied each week - only the people who pay the councillors wages (sorry "allowances") will have the headache of figuring out whether this is their week or not.

And the council will lose the money that central government made available to preserve weekly collections.

bbc news

Interesting link Inky especially the last sentence which says 'Councils have until mid-March to bid for funding, which will be available from April.' Thats pretty much around Easter tiime 2012 is it not ?

PS Peter... I think the singing bins have been borrowed and they are only in Warrington for a month. Hope the grots don't trash them though and I think it's a good idea :P

Will they double the size of the bins? :unsure:

No as they would have to double the size of the bin waggons too then or double the pick up rounds which would both cost more :wink:

Sales of 'heavy duty black bin bags' may suddenly rise though. :lol:

(phonex nights)

A lot of you seem to be saying you would have no problem with fortnightly black bin collection. Would it be rude of me to ask how many people are in your household ?

We are Two !!

I guess it will be more of a challenge for multiple occupants. I saw something about it several weeks ago with a "planted" letter in the Guardian. I'm certain WBC aren't above leaking to the papers to gauge feedback from the plebs.

We are Two !!

I guess it will be more of a challenge for multiple occupants. I saw something about it several weeks ago with a "planted" letter in the Guardian. I'm certain WBC aren't above leaking to the papers to gauge feedback from the plebs.

Hey! Boris watch your language!! :wink:

Not a problem for us as there only the two of us, but as someone has already mentioned others with larger families will find it a problem, why don't the council do an on line survey, yes I realize everyone has not got access to a computer but it is mostly the older age group and that is probably not going to adversely affect them anyway, instead of this process of imposition.

Another negative result of reducing the frequency of black bin collections will be more plastic bags full of household rubbish thrown on the streets and in the hedgerows, people will always move it of their property!!!.

or hopefully they will dump it on the driveways of their local councillors or on the town hall steps

Interesting link Inky especially the last sentence which says 'Councils have until mid-March to bid for funding, which will be available from April.' Thats pretty much around Easter tiime 2012 is it not ?

Yep.

So, assuming that our council was on the ball enough to grab our slice of the money available six months ago, they're now going to lose it again by going fortnightly.

Let's get real, folks. WBC have to save £50m over three years, so all sorts of services will have to be looked at - discretionary school transport, etc. Just one council has applied for the Pickles money to go back to weekly from fortnightly collections - the money was only available to councils for three years but they have to sign up to weekly collections for five years to get it. But never mind the cuts - I'm not sure you can really expect to be good at recycling (as Warrington is) but carry on sending the bin wagon round as often for the rest.

A couple of quotes: John Skidmore, at the Chartered Institution of Wastes Management: "For me, it underlines the fact that the government's thinking on this front is out of line and out of date."

Gavin Shuker, Labour's shadow minister for waste: "Local authorities have voted with their feet. They realise we must cut down on waste, not encourage it. We need a proper plan to become a zero-waste economy, not policy-making on the hoof."