The Bins

boris1066

Nice one Steve..... blame everything on the cuts and the government.

Are you going to reduce my already over priced council tax when you cut my bin collections and are you going to send me your address so I can personally dump my rubbish on your driveway?

I take it you don't do real Baz, :wink:

Real as in what Kije?

Real as in the council can still waste money on a Chief Executive that is not needed (as many other local authorities have found)?

Real as in my council tax is ridiculous for the service we get from the council? Icy and snow bound roads every year?

Real as in broken street lamps that take months to be repaired?

Real as in thousands wasted on back-slapping dinners for new mayors?

Or real as in the almost £700,000 our councillors claim in allowances every year - which no doubt is about the Actual council tax revenues from a couple of our council estates...

All I appear to get for my council tax is a bin collection once a week and I am damned if I am going to let them take that away without a fight

• Upvote 2

Let's get real, folks. WBC have to save £50m over three years, so all sorts of services will have to be looked at - discretionary school transport, etc. Just one council has applied for the Pickles money to go back to weekly from fortnightly collections - the money was only available to councils for three years but they have to sign up to weekly collections for five years to get it. But never mind the cuts - I'm not sure you can really expect to be good at recycling (as Warrington is) but carry on sending the bin wagon round as often for the rest.

Of course the council have to save money and I appreciate that government funding is always being cut but the rest of us have to try and save money too just as other businesses do but we cut back on non essentials first. You must admit that the council are often seemingly spending money on things residents don’t need, don’t want or get no benefit from whilst at the same time they cut back on things some families do need such as regular refuse collections, school transport etc etc

Just out of interest SP, if the council do decided to change us to fortnightly collections how much will it cost them to implement the changeover any idea ?

Clearly some refuse collectors/drivers/etc will loose their jobs so presumably they will be paid redundancy money.

How much will it cost to consult all the townsfolk? (I presume there will have to be some sort of token consultation and time spent creating reports, statistics and the likes)

Again I 'presume' there will be some sort of glossy booklet produced telling every resident about the changes and how much better it will be... how much will that cost?

What about the possible increase in bin sacks being fly tipped or abandoned ho much does it cost to go out and remove fly tipped bags of rubbish?

What happens if people put their excess black bin rubbish in their blue bins (carefully camouflaged by paper and acceptable blue bin waste of course) which could then finish up all having to go to landfill or requiring extra sorting. How much would that cost?

Will the remaining refuse collectors who have been lucky enough to keep their jobs be expected check the entire contents of every single blue bin just incase?

I still don't know how they expect larger families to cope with fortnightly collections or how they expect people to put up with the flies and stench from bins in the summer months.

I just wondered..... and yes, there are a lot of presumptions in my post but then again there are often a lot of presumptions from the councils side too.

I forgot to ask..... it is now November and if what is said is true the changes will be implemented by Easter 2013 which is not very far away.

Can someone please direct us to any minutes of any council meetings where this has been discussed or any reports that have been put together by officers (or whoever) regarding proposed waste changes which show facts, figures, costs and reasons please as I can't find any.

Or maybe a press release as at the moment all we know is that it has been heard on the grapevine. Might not be true after all and Baz and others may dump their rubbish at the town hall or on someones garden in protest for nowt :shock::lol:

Steve, are you still a practicing priest?

Yes

Dizzy, You'd have to ask Boris who started the thread for his sources. Nothing has yet been discussed in any committee. If it is proposed, I'm sure all the questions would be addressed - as they have been by the two-thirds of councils who have fortnightly collections.

as they have by the two-thirds of councils who have fortnightly collections.

Much as I tend not to try and "Cut and Paste" information.... this may answer at least one of Dizzys comments regarding the cost of implimenting a switch to fortnightly bin collections...

Sheffield Council to spend £400,000 telling residents about switch to fortnightly bin collections

Couple that with the nonsense we had last year where residents had to go and meet a bin truck in a local car park somewhere because of the snow and the fact that they were only carrying a weeks worth of rubbish, imagine how bad it will get when your rotting Christmas turkey isn't collected until halfway through January!!

How do you reconcile your pastoral work with your council work? Given that the council is always thinking of more schemes to squeeze more money out of the poor while claiming exhorbitant expenses for themselves and feathering their own nests, and, the councillors being, shall we say, less than honest with the electorate? :unsure:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There you go again referring to Egypt when you can think of nothing better to say.

You know damn well, because I have said it a number of times, that I have family and friends living in Warrington and that in itself makes it my concern.

Now run along, be a good lad and go and read your book in the corner.

Yes

Dizzy, You'd have to ask Boris who started the thread for his sources. Nothing has yet been discussed in any committee. If it is proposed, I'm sure all the questions would be addressed - as they have been by the two-thirds of councils who have fortnightly collections.

Thanks and sorry but from your ealier post I thought you meant you knew something more about it all. My mistake :oops:

Surely though if there is a chance that it could be implemented by Easter as Borris has said then there must have been some discussions already as these sorts of things would take some considerable time to evaluate as would a plan of implementation.

Maybe like you say Borris could enlighten us a bit more.

One more question though... you say above that "questions would be addressed - as they have been by the two-thirds of councils who have fortnightly collections" .

By that do you mean other councils in other areas or that two-thirds of our Warringon council don't actually live around here :wink:

Much as I tend not to try and "Cut and Paste" information.... this may answer at least one of Dizzys comments regarding the cost of implimenting a switch to fortnightly bin collections...

Sheffield Council to spend £400,000 telling residents about switch to fortnightly bin collections

Is that £400k just to tell their residents or to implement it all too ?