The Bins

boris1066

Is there any remote possibility that topics could actually perhaps stay on track ?

I think this one was originally about fortnightly bin collections !!!

Dizzy great real this is a classic flame war - usually it's blue bins on fire but here it is the members and some are getting singed :|  ouch dial 999 and ask for the firerigade - something Obs knows all about. :mrgreen: and I mean that in a professional way.

Dizzy great real this is a classic flame war - usually it's blue bins on fire but here it is the members and some are getting singed :|  ouch dial 999 and ask for the firerigade - something Obs knows all about. :mrgreen: and I mean that in a professional way.

If the bins around here get any fuller Geoff we might all set fire to the contents of them and if it goes wrong we may have to call 999 and ask for fire brigade after all. :lol:

Joking aside, your a man who likes recycling and environmental stuff Geoff.. so do you think it's right that blue bin collections have stopped over xmas?  There's another week yet until ours gets collected and it's almost full and very compact already even though our xmas has just been pretty much normal with no excess or over buying. 

My black bin absolutely stinks despite things like the chicken carcas from xmas eve being immediately wrapped and placed in FOUR individual carrier bags all tied seperately and put into the next one which was tied and so on an so forth. 

Black bin collections have not stopped but our usual Black Wednesday collection was Friday last week and I put my bin out about 9.30 am on the Friday thinking they would come late morning like they usually do on normal collection days and they had already been :oops:   My own fault so not whinging about that by the way.

Having inadvertantly placed myself on a two week black bin collection though I'm actually dreading it in the summer months even more now and surely all this excess 'bagging up' to try and stop possible smells is going to be FAR WORSE for the environment and landfill in the long term as it will take far longer to rot away.

Ey up... just realised it's Friday tomorrow and that's their new day again for this week. 

Never done it before but for once to be sure I'm going to put my bin out TONIGHT so I don't miss them again. 8)  

Hi Dizzy our bins had the new labels giving details of blue bin schedule collection?

Yes there was a week for everyone when they weren't collected and over Christmas when I realized that our was filling up I took out the contents crushed the tins and plastic containers, ripped up the boxes etc and reclaimed the wasted space that was being used by the fresh inside them.

It only took me about 5 minutes and my blue bin went from a full one to a 1/3rd full bin.

BTW is there a notify setting on this system? :mrgreen:

one way of keeping the smells down is to not throw away so much food. at least once a month after the bin has been emptied give it a clean out with the jet wash or hosepipe and then add a little jeyes fluid or scented bleach via a spray to keep any lingering odours down.

it has surprised me though the number of people around where I live who have not bothered to read the stickers from the council. most of the bins were put out on Wednesday night for the usual Thursday collection. despite there being stickers giving the revised collection day as Friday.

As my daily routine hardly varies I put my bin / bins out after I have taken the dog for his first amble around the fields around half seven. As the "binmen" don't normally turn up until around eleven it is out in plenty of time.

on a slightly related theme what will the money from the litter fines be used for, apart from paying the poor person that has to issue them that is?

Now that our council are looking at sending our rubbish for incineration to produce electricity it is in all our interest to produce more though, our august leaders manage to do it so we should all follow their example. 8)

Hi Dizzy our bins had the new labels giving details of blue bin schedule collection?

Yes there was a week for everyone when they weren't collected and over Christmas when I realized that our was filling up I took out the contents crushed the tins and plastic containers, ripped up the boxes etc and reclaimed the wasted space that was being used by the fresh inside them.

It only took me about 5 minutes and my blue bin went from a full one to a 1/3rd full bin.

BTW is there a notify setting on this system? :mrgreen:

You should be doing that anyway.

• Upvote 1

You've got me bang to rights governor Pete - well not me but our Christmas house guests - I hadn't realised what they were not doing - they are from outside the Town and sneaked across the border without going through the propper induction process. :oops:

But thansk for this I've just discovered where the 'Follow this topic is' post option facility is. :mrgreen:

it has surprised me though the number of people around where I live who have not bothered to read the stickers from the council. most of the bins were put out on Wednesday night for the usual Thursday collection. despite there being stickers giving the revised collection day as Friday.

Well rather embarresingly I have to report that my bin didn't get emptied today either (Friday) despite me putting it out last night (Thurs) to make sure it was emptied as I forgot last Friday so was already 2 weeks in and now heading for week 3 (our normal collection day is Wednesday like I said previously).

So I was stupid twice in two weeks :oops:   Normal wednesday collection around here had been changed to Friday last week and I though because of new year it was Friday again this week too.... but seems it was Thursday.  Bugger.

No probs though as I got some bin sacks and emptied half my very compact black bin waste into them and headed for Stockton Heath tip this afternoon.  I used my other half's car though with the pretence that it wouldn't fit in mine ha ha :wink:

Got to the tip but  everyone infront of me was being turned away..... the very nice tip chap who was going along the queue of cars (probably getting all sorts of abuse as he did look rather fed up by the time he got to me) was telling everyine theat the 'lorry?' had broken so they couldn't accept any rubbish and we all had to go to an alternative tip or try again tomorrow as hopefully it would be fixed by then.

Poor chap and I felt really sorry for him...... anyway off I went to Gateworth tip over the other side of town.  

Should have gone in my car after all though as my other half's wouldn't fit under the barrier and I blocked the entrance until everyone backed up so I could reverse back and hide down the side road until the coast was clear again and eventually a really nice young lad finally let me in.

Next time I will read my bin sticker more carefully although it did get me out for an hour   :oops:  :lol:  

Disappointed to note that my blue bin will no longer be emptied on the same day as the black one, why would they alter the collection days?

Are they ?  Blimey there is no hope for me at all then. :lol:  

Currently our black and blues are both Wednesdays (with blues being ever 2 weeks but still on a Wed)

I thought everyone's collections for either black/blue were always collected on their same collection day or is it just us Sadako?

Why would they change that if/when it goes to fortnightly as they have already said one week will be black... the next week will be blue and so on.

........although I do recall reading somewhere in the officers reports to the  exec board that they said going to fortnightly would reduce people's confusion over their collection days? 

Well for almost 50 weeks of the past years so far  I've managed pretty well not to be confused :lol: and unlike the vast majority of people around here I don't leave all my bins out 24/7. :evil:

Is that still against the rules by the way or is it now completely acceptable ?    

Blimey....

What could be simpler than bins emptied on alternate weeks?

The same bin emptied each week?

Because I have a theory that the good (and certainly the not so good) people of this town are simply going to chuck their waste into whichever bin, black, blue or whatever, that is going to be emptied that week.

I hope the recycling plant is tooled up to spin the council a profit out of used nappies...

The same bin emptied each week?

Because I have a theory that the good (and certainly the not so good) people of this town are simply going to chuck their waste into whichever bin, black, blue or whatever, that is going to be emptied that week.

I hope the recycling plant is tooled up to spin the council a profit out of used nappies...

If people do start to chuck non reclyclables in their blue bins they won't get emptied.  Someone put a dog poop bag and a bag of chips in ours when it was put out the night before once (rather than in the morning) and so didn't get emptied.  Quite often the green bins around here dont get emptied either as people throw similar stuff or beer bottles etc in as they walk past.  That's the bin owners faults though for leaving them all out out 24/7  

I doubt the bin men will actually look through everyones blues before emptying them though so there's nothing to stop the 'not so good' hiding their 'non recyclable' stuff under the genuine blue bin waste if their black one is full and that no doubt would cause problems at the recycling plant due to contamination.

Has anyone else heard or read anyhing about a proposed  'trial' period for the new fortnightly collections ?

Only asking as I just read one of our local Parish Council minutes for early December (before the actual announcement was made in the various local news pages once the exec board had met and decided).

On the draft mins of the 6 Dec Parish Council  meeting (Walton) it mentions the bins in the borough councillors report bit and it says that 

'Weekly black bin collection may go fortnightly in areas where feasible. Following a question from Cllr. R. Hardie, BCPK confirmed that there will be a trial period.'

Is there going to be a trial then ?... as I don't remember reading anything about that in the exec board documentation that was under discussion for approval just under 2 weeks later or anywhere else.  Maybe I just missed it though.

I would make a lot of sense to have a trial though in combination with a resident consultation as some people may cope better than they though and others might not ... although I don't know how they would determine where it was 'feasible' or not if a decision was made for fortnightly and it wasn't across the board with so many different families with different needs probably living in the same streets.

Supposed to be Obs...... maybe the consultation will ask us if we want a trial then (although when I read the draft consultation document it wasn't really asking anything in particular and not what I thought it would be and the given answeres could have been used in any way whatsoever. 

Maybe the 'real' consultation leaflets will be better.

I'm not going to loose any sleep over it though as I have my contingency plans sorted now in the event that my bin stinks in summer or becomes too full. 8)