Getting old

harry hayes

Arrived at Palmyra Square this morning. Piles of lovely leaves. Kicked away at them like I did 70 odd years ago - mainly outside the old Education office in Sankey street.

Walked into the shopping centre of that street. The odd wet leaf on the footpath. Tread carefully, an old friend has become a foe.

Happy days

The average man thinks he isn't.

know what you mean harry (ooh a frank bruno moment there) :oops:

Two seasons of the year that used to be my favourites were spring and autumn. Spring for the lovely sight of the blossom and autummn for the delight of the leaves that have fallen. Since then I have a motorbike and am now more wary of those seasons as wet blossom and wet leaves are just as slippy as ice when you are doing thirty round a corner. :blink:

Harry I find that my problem is that my mind is still relatively sharp (I suppose that is a matter of opinion) but it seems that the messages sent from my brain to my limbs have slowed down, so that if I do slip I know what I should do stop me falling, but the thought process doesn't reach my extremities quickly enough to prevent it from happening. :blink:

I love kicking leaves Harry and it makes me feel like a little kiddie again too but my reasons for thinking that they have become a foe these days are because more often than not I finish up with dog poop on my boots. :evil:

I never remember that happening when I was younger saying that I probably never even noticed and my mum probably just used to clean it off as the whiff engulfed the house :oops:

I often wonder why it hurts so much more now when I fall over than it did years ago. We (the adults as the kids had given up) had a great snowball fight a few years ago in the streets here and I hit the deck trying to do a Rambo style flight up someone's path to hide behine a bush.

Blimey I ached for days and yet at one time I wouldn't have even felt it.

I'm only 48 (only?) so how much more will it hurt when I get to 50, 60, 70? Maybe I'm better off not knowing :shock::blink:

I honestly believe that as we grow older men retain the ability to fall over far better than women do.

And even if there’s no scientific facts to back this up it doesn’t matter, us blokes just jump back up and say it didn’t hurt one bit!

Just watch out Harry there’s not a brick or something under that next pile of leaves. :lol:

Bill :)

Bill, I suspect it's not that you blokes fall better but rather than you 'just jump back up and say it didn’t hurt one bit!' out of embarrasment and to retain your strong manly images and street cred.

I bet you blubber a bit when you get home and have to rest for the remainder of the day though :lol::wink:

It would never happen there Algy, here either. You could stand at a crossing all day long waiting to cross the road but there aint no driver going to stop to let you. Zebra crossings are totally ignored by drivers here. If you wish to cross a road you have to take your life into your own hands and dodge between moving vehicles as and when you can and many of the roads here are 3,4 or even 5 lanes wide - in one direction. Get to the central rservation and you need to do it all again.