No wonder -

observer

Why was it assault as the gobby little chap was asked to leave the train as he didn't have a ticket and kept swearing at the ticket collector and wouldn't get off so the passenger removed him.

It's become a youtube hit apparently though with over 2 million viewings :wink::roll:

Two things. I think the spirit of the law does apply - yes, an assault, but probably a justifiable one, especially when 98% of the country agrees with the big man's actions.

Secondly, if the police get a complaint they have no choice but to act on it and give their findings over for consideration.

Happy days

Two things. I think the spirit of the law does apply - yes, an assault, but probably a justifiable one, especially when 98% of the country agrees with the big man's actions.

Secondly, if the police get a complaint they have no choice but to act on it and give their findings over for consideration.

Happy days

So if, when you were on the beat you got a smack from a member of the public if 98% of the country thought it justified you would accept it. I bet your colleagues would be a tad unhappy with your benevolence.

Bad analogy that. We got smacked very often and accepted it, if it was in context - say a pub brawl, otherwise you would be locking half the customers up. In my day the public were very much on your side and accepted police action to be as fair as circumstances allow. Policemen got assaulted regularly, but would only take say three or four to court in the whole of their service.

Every touching is an assault. Just your finger will do. Doesn't have to be violence. It is necessary to employ the spirit of the law in minor cases which implies the use of common sense. In previous days this incident would not have got beyond the desk sergeant.

Now, It is for the police to gather the facts and when the assault was apparently justified and the injuries pretty minor, for someone in the CPS to be big enough to invoke the spirit of the law, and probably in this case, say it is not in the public interest to prosecute.

Happy days

• Upvote 1

If the Transport Police were concerned about upholding "the law"; perhaps they could deploy their Officers as plain clothed "train marshals"; but I guess, even with the new fare rises, that would be uneconomical?! :D

If you knew how many Officers are in the BTP and the area they have to cover, then you would proably understand why they cannot do this.

If you knew how many Officers are in the BTP and the area they have to cover, then you would proably understand why they cannot do this.

well there is usually three or four of them sat in the half glass Vivaro van near Bank Quay most nights!!

I would say after watching the video that some off the blame should go to the ticket inspector who decided to argue with the chancer for fifteen minutes before the passenger intervened. All he had to do was get in touch with the railway police and ask them to meet the train at the next station. once there he should have pointed out the individual and then let them take him away and have a quiet talk with him. That way the train would not have been held up more than five minutes at the first instance and about the same time when the train reached the next station. That way the other passenger would not have been tempted to intervene and the whole of the rail system on that track would not have been held up either.

Simples :twisted:

Mmmm I agree with Sid's reasoning too although I still don't recon the bloke assaulted the grot. He just helped him him off in a meaningful manner.

To me assault used to mean you hit someone and caused injury etc rather than just giving them a bit of 'direction'.

If I kicked up a fuss, argued, and then refused to leave a shop and was physically removed could I then charge the person with assault even though it was me being an idiot in the first place? Could I then claim/or would I then get compensation ? Might try it tomorrow in the food queues :lol:

Did the bloke who pushed to 'jumper' off the bridge in China a few years ago get done for assault too or did he get a cheer and a pat on the back for sorting the traffic jam out ?

And his compo should be set at a firm slap at the least plus a fine and an appology to the passengers and conductor, plus 10 rings with the bloke that threw him off no holds barred (and had he been my son he would be getting a whole lot worse) :wink: