Apathy Rules

kevofaz25

Some very low turnouts across the country- indicative that the majority don't give two hoots about who runs things anymore.

Maybe time to re-think how we get the great unwashed engaged in the democracy we are so proud of??

Talking of apatahy where were Radio Warrington last night at the count? :roll::wink:

People now realise that local elections have absolutely nothing to do with chosing who actually runs the services they pay for any more.

By leaving all the real decision making to managers and bureaucrats, local councillors have chosen to make themselves pretty much irrelevant.

Some very low turnouts across the country- indicative that the majority don't give two hoots about who runs things anymore.

Maybe time to re-think how we get the great unwashed engaged in the democracy we are so proud of??

Talking of apatahy where were Radio Warrington last night at the count? :roll::wink:

they should have said Gary...... I'd have done it for them! :lol:

long standing engagement in Scotland for me (which was a far more interesting place to be?) and nobody else was biting :roll:

maybe standing them a pint at the polling station will get their interest :wink:

I believe the USSR used to do that with vodka, since there was only 1 party ever standing, whats the point of voting? so they gave free vodka to any voter.

If your not happy with any of the candidates, then in my opinion it is better to spoil the paper/post a blank paper, than not turn up. The candidates get to see the spoilt/blank paper. If several hundered spoilt/blank papers turn up per ward instead of the usual 20-odd then it should make the candidates think :wink:

More than 60 per cent of the population didn't bother voting - so how can we call it a democracy - it should be made law that people have to vote - even if it means voting for none of the above - and at least those in power will realise that the majority of people don't give a damn - and then start to find out why!

I don't see how we can call our system a democracy until we have proportional representation.

I agree that there should be a 'none of the above' option. (one I already use myself in general elections if I feel so inclined, - by scribbling on the ballot paper and writing NONE WORTH VOTING FOR all across it. Local elections I vote for who I think will best represent the town - I'm not interested in party politics!).

As for passing a law forcing people to vote, good idea but might be difficult/expensive to enforce. It would probably be easier/ cheaper to make it that no party could take overall control unless they had over 50% of the total population's vote. That would mean that they'd have to ensure that their policies appealed to more than half the population or they couldn't form a government.

Also, most importantly, if politicians fail to deliver on their promised policies they can be kicked out straight away!

I am one of the unwashed .. although i do not drink lol

In my ward it was either lab,lib or con.

I have never met any of them, none of them bothered to knock on my door. If they do not bother why should i?

Same motorway different cars

When there's not enough difference in the actual results produced by the three main parties to notice, and the smaller parties with policies people actually want can't win any representation due to our tribal voting system, then we may as well be in a one party state for all the difference voting makes.

If all the local candidates for local elections were required to hold several meetings in their prospective wards when people could question them all and learn what they stand for rather than what they object to about other parties, then independent and smaller party candidates might do better. As it is, only the main parties post their fliers out and very few, if any, candidates are seen knocking on doors.

If all the local candidates for local elections were required to hold several meetings in their prospective wards when people could question them all and learn what they stand for

Can't have that! The great unwashed might realise that the Emperors aren't wearing any clothes!

Local elections are usually in May so the weather shouldn't really be a problem! I do think that there needs to be a better way of getting prospective councillors to say what they stand for and what they can do for the local area. That might interest more people than currently are turned off by the usual election drivel put through our doors.

local services (bin collections, waste, busses), potholes, broken lamp posts, traffic planning, that sort of thing. Basically all the small, niggly stuff central government wont bother with.

Basically people dont bother because to the masses, "Politician" is synominous with "expenses" :lol::lol:.

"your all the same" is not an uncommon saying as well.

I disagree with compulsory voting simply because it is hypocritical to force someone to vote. If people dont want to vote/cant be arsed then thats completely up to them.

local services (bin collections, waste, busses), potholes, broken lamp posts, traffic planning, that sort of thing. Basically all the small, niggly stuff central government wont bother with.

'Fraid not. Local councillors have sub-contracted making sure all of that lot happens (or not!) to their faceless bureaucrats. That way they think they don't have to take any responsibility for the decisions taken and the shoddy levels of service delivered.

Unfortunately, voters have started to realise that this means that it doesn't matter which of the usual suspects are currently swanning around giving themselves fancy job titles.

Nationally, the Labour programme for cuts is around 80% of the Coalitions, perhaps over a slightly longer period - still cuts never the less. Likewise, locally, they'll be little option either - unless of course, they up the Council Tax! :wink: