Revolting Students - a rethink ?

Dizzy

Rise in tuition fees + 50,000 protestors today = embarrasment for the government and embarrasment for the parents of the small minority of protestors who were filmed spraying walls, smashing windows, throwing concrete slabs of the roof etc etc.

Whist the government deserved everything they got it doesn't put our present or future students in too good a light eh.

Fancy being daft enough to trash the place infront of the tv crews though... a few criminal records sheets going in their portfolios eh.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/8124370/Student-tuition-fee-protest-police-response-to-Millbank-riots-embarrassing-says-Met-chief.html

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst not condoning the anarchist antics of some, it's nice to see we have some youngsters with bottle - prior to being ground down into ovine compliance. Alas, like the Greek and French protests, they will be tolerated as our Western form of political expression and then ignored by the real power brokers in the EU and IMF. Ironically, by complete contrast, our PM was hinting to the Chinese of the benefits of freedom (of expression) whilst seeking to get a piece of their economic action. :?

Don't get me wrong I think it's great that so many youngsters protested and decended on the Cons headquarters but some went too far OTT.

Saying that maybe if they had all been polite it wouldn't have hit all the headlines both here an abroad..... :wink::D

Are they going to the Licdims headquarters tomorrow :D:oops:

As far as I am concerned, any so-called "student" who took part in the demonstration should be banned from any further education. We don't want our universities filled with the sort of idiot who thinks smashing windows, or indeed marching through the streets, will enable them to have their own way.

Too many unsuited young people are going to university these days anyway. The education they receive is way above their heads anyway so it is wasted on them.

If pricing them out of the market is the only way to get rid of them, so be it! Historically that has always been the way of keeping the rabble out!

As far as I am concerned, any so-called "student" who took part in the demonstration should be banned from any further education. We don't want our universities filled with the sort of idiot who thinks smashing windows, or indeed marching through the streets, will enable them to have their own way.

Too many unsuited young people are going to university these days anyway. The education they receive is way above their heads anyway so it is wasted on them.

If pricing them out of the market is the only way to get rid of them, so be it! Historically that has always been the way of keeping the rabble out!

What about this "Rabble"?

david-cameron-bullingdon.jpg

I agree with your comment regarding the ones who were smashing everything being banned. BUT the vast majority of the protesters who walked through the streets were not acting like that and were just out on force to show their disgust and opposition to the proposed rise in tuition fees.

I see nothing wrong with that and it's not just about getting their own way.

With most university students leaving with not only qualifications but also with huge student debts/loans hanging around their necks who can blame them or their families ?

Dizzy. I'm afraid just being there is enough for me to want to ban them. OK, they may have been demonstrating peacefully. But if they are stupid enough not to realise they could get caught up in something like this, and lack the intelligence to think of a more fruitful form of protest, they are not of the calibre for university.

As for our working class warrior's picture, I have no idea who they are but agree with Eagle that they look better than the idiot demonstrators. Clothes maketh the man! It might sound a bit dated but it is as true today as it ever was.

I interviewed a guy with an economics degree once who turned up for his job interview in denim jeans and trainers. He probably still doesn't know why he didn't get the job but I took the view that if he hadn't the commonsense to dress up a bit for the interview he wasn't likely to be much good.

So what other form of protest would you suggest then ?

Dont blame you for not giving the chap a job by the way :wink:

I was rather concerned a few weeks ago when the college tutor told my sons lot that when they go for job interviews it is acceptable to go dressed in jeans etc due to the type of work they were being trained in. He said they would look stupid going in a smart trousers, shirt and tie :shock::shock::evil:

Be interested in what constitutes "a more fruitfull form of protest" Eggy? Interesting though, that this generation of students won't be affected by the change, but have the altruism to think of following generations of students, unlike the current political class, who ALL received their Uni education free of charge. :wink:

I have no idea who they are either :oops:

Just bought a newspaper (something I rarely do) and the pictures of yesterday's riot are quite shocking... all spurred on by left wing 'hijackers' apparently. :roll:

One picture showed a couple of students holing a placard which said....

'WE ARE YOUR FUTRUE'...... maybe they should do some basic primary school spelling revision classes :shock::lol::wink:

Working on the assumption that the government wants university students to get a degree followed by a good job where they will be earning enough money to pay tax, some of them even higher rate tax, surely it is in the government's interest (and the country's) to ensure they get the best education possible and get that education at the government's (country's) expense. There are many other ways the government could save money (EUSSR, foreign aid, Quangos, aircraft carriers without aircraft to name just a few). :wink::wink::wink:

There are many other ways the government could save money (EUSSR, foreign aid, Quangos, aircraft carriers without aircraft to name just a few). :wink::wink::wink:

Not to mention getting the money back from the banks and sorting out the tax evasion of the rich.

I totally agree Asp - so why doesnt the government get the money back in those ways rather than tax the students and hit those on welfare? :?:?:roll:

Not very impressed with the antics of the student union protest, especially with the student? who thought it was clever to throw a fire extinguisher from the top floor of the building. May be if caught, the person/s will get detention or worse, made to write ?Never throw a fire extinguisher from the top floor?, 100 times! or lock the person/s up and throw the key away!

PJ's picture shows David cameron and George Osbourne in their University days because he likes to point out that because they are Conservatives, he thinks they are very posh and elite and not like normal "working class" people.

Fortunately, there also exist; pictures of "Working Class Hero" Tony Bliar when he was at top Scottish Uni; Fettes....

tony_blair_gesture_1.jpg

I'm sure you will agree that Bliar looks equally posh and twit like. The only difference of course is that Bliar screwed over the country and set himself up as a multimillionaire and adopted an "I'm alright Jack" approach to his career, whereas Cameron now has to deal with the aftermath of the crap pedalled by Bliar and Brown over the last 13 years.... Maybe the Tories should bring in a retro tax for ex-primeministers who make a fortune at the expense of their countrymen?

Gordon Brown of course; just looked like a graduate from the Michael Foot School of Labour Leaders!

news-graphics-2007-_447744a.jpg