Can someone explain what the pupose of these are?

Bazj

24m9h93.jpg

They appear to be sprouting up at every junction these days and I am at a loss as to their use.

In the photo (taken at the corner of Parker street and Bank Park) There are now two lanes; which is better than it used to be and the right lane is to turn right ONLY. Now I am guessing that the green bike box would be used to allow a bike to turn right at a junction and so allow him/her a space to get in front of the cars and turn right.

Here however, you can only turn right and so the bike should surely be on the inside of the cars anyway??

Another example of council waste and not knowing how to apply these things so they put them everywhere just in case?

they are there for the odd cyclist to wait at on red. but as they tend not to bother about such things then i wonder why they have been put in apart from the box ticking exercise to appease the lycra mob.

as a sort of tenuous link do the members of "warrington road club" have to adhere to the rules of the road or do they have special dispensation when it comes to them.

example one when approaching a main road from a side road you have to stop and check for oncoming traffic, unless you are a member then you can just sail out and almost take somebodies wing mirror off like the nice chap who did it to me two weeks ago at the junction of chester road and gainsborough road. i realise that he was probably in a hurry t meet his mates at the stag and the fact that he was having difficulty in seeing what was coming despite the orange sunglasses and so maybe i should make allowances for that.

example two when approaching a red light you should stop, unless you are a member then you can just have a quick look and if nothing is coming the other way then carry on through the red light. this was observed last sunday at the island at crossfields.

now had i done that in my car or my motorbike i would probably have been surrounded by armed police in seconds with the helicopter overhead bathing me in the glare of it's searchlight.

a "normal" cyclist would not have been in that position as they would have been on the pavement the minute the light went to red and crossed that way. so "warrington road club" members must be special in this respect.

rant over, calmed down, deep breaths and .............relax :)

Perhaps it is a futuristic game for council employees. Put them on bikes and line them up and give them a 30 second start and let the cars chase them. Prizes awarded to the car with the most hits.

For every 10 bikes, there must be one member of the Exec. in the line-up.

I have been baffled by these for years. How does it get past Health & Safety? Bikes should be at the side in single file. :?:shock::roll:

This is what they're called:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_stop_line

I would assume that, once out of the box, standard highway code applies.

Interesting.

Reading the safety bit, it doesn't look all that safe and that common sense would be better.

It comes back to cyclists being taught good road sense. Alas, that won't happen as long as they ride on pavements.

I had to do an emergency stop at the lights where Orford Lane crosses the A59 when a cyclist just rode out from the pavement right across these new markings. Clearly he thought it was a cycle lane that gave him right of way and I got the finger from him to prove he was in the right. :(

If the cyclist don't what they're for and most motorist also then the markings however well intended seem a bit of a waste of time and money.

Bill :)

I know there's a bit of an anti-cyclist buzz on here (like car drivers don't sometimes drive badly) and the wiki link was interesting, but seriously, did anyone really need to ask what the purpose of these boxes was? It just seems obvious.

(Whether it works is another question...)

How do the cyclists get into the green box? Do they ride down the chevron area and if so why's that not green? .... and what if the traffic starts moving before they get to it :shock:

I don't ride a bike, infact the last time I was on one I went right over the handlebars when I hit a bollard OUCH :oops::lol:

But if I did ride one then I would feel a lot safer at traffic light junctions being in the green box INFRONT of the stationary car drivers than I would feel being amongst them all.

Back to the danger zone once you are out of the green though I guess :shock::?

:lol::lol: You are more observant than I am SD :D

..... but give him his due he does give the car infront a lot of space... probably cos he was messing with his phone and hadn't noticed they had moved :lol::wink:

Nice to see you back on here too by the way guess the dark night are a good thing after all :lol:

Just need McBain, Lymm P, Paul K and a few others back and we have a full house again. Oooh the good old days of healthy heated 'debates' :lol:

Anyone else want to join in :shock: Whimps :lol:

the cycle pedestrian stretch of tarmac are for phantom cyclists cycling to united utilities and the post office as part of the last government keep fit scheme funded by money from some phantom pot of paper money The intention is to create a third lane for traffic in cases when the main road is clogged up with cars, post office heavies and school buses They have cost many thousands pf pounds to create as well as the intelligence of certain wbc traffic people who have found out how to keep their jobs by creating other such useless tarmac and painted areas without enhancing the actual roads It is called traffic management i believe

Thank you Dizzy.

I really hate this junction, for me it is the most dangerous piece of road in Warrington, especially when coming from the Sankey St direction and turning into Crosfield St.

I think they should have staggered lights with longer time intervals to give motorists a chance of getting from one street in to another, they should also have a yellow cross hatch area too.

Having read the wikipedia thing, it does have a sort of common sense angle to it; especially the thinking about having the cyclists visable to HGV divers and the like, however, surely it is also the responsibility of the cyclist not to get in the way of a HGV or put themselves in the blind spot etc.

However, I guess they are cyclists and concessions have to be made for their lack of common sense and logical thinking..... I mean would any normal person slip on some tight lycra clothing and pedal through the pouring rain, when a perfectly good car is available?

(I've just found out that a lad who was in my class at school; Paul Hickey, has just cycled from the lake district all the way to Switzerland and he then took part in an up hill marathon....... see there are some crazy people ledft in the world and they tend to ride cycles!)

Baz J.

How safe can the roads be when someone is driving with one hand and taking a picture with a mobile/camera with the other hand? :?

Blimey you make too many assumptions Sue.... are you a politician or something???

my car was stationary and there were no cars behind me. That is why I took the picture. Otherwise I would have posted a still from the on board accident camera. It was easier to post one from my phone. No laws broken and no badgers hurt during the filming :wink:

Road priorities are pedestrians, cyclists in that order - cars come a poor last. The problem is, the majority of amateur (non lycra) cyclists havn't a clue what these markings mean, and just ride on/off road to suit, treat red traffic lights as a give way only or opt to use a pelican crossing if the lights are against them. :roll: