Health and Safety in Warrington.

Peter T

Had reason to go to the library this morning. And also walked along Sankey St. to the Mall with her indoors.

My question is, WHY are the pavements in the centre of town not clear of snow and ice?

Can a person who has mobility difficulties claim off the council for any injuries incurred?

Bit of a tricky one as most pavements everywhere are covered in ice and rather treacherous at present as are some of the untreated roads which have still not thawed out.

With temperatures expected to be as low as -5 again tonight there is more to come :shock:

Would imagine though if the council gritted some pavements then they would be then expected to grit them all which obviously they cant.

My other half was rather suprised and shocked to find himself and the dog sliding along the pathway yesterday tea time which leads to Stockton Heath Medical Centre from the the council owned Forge Shopping Centre car park (which had been gritted by the way :? ).

I believe a lady broke her ankle as she fell on the very same pathway earlier in the day :cry: Ouch :shock:

Suppose if you are going to fall it's better if you do it outside a doctors surgery though :oops::?

I was happily trying to clear the pavement outside my house yesterday and I was also sprinkling salt (it made a lovely crackling noise as it hit the frozen ridges) but I was advised by an interested party to STOP.

He said that if someone fell and injured themselves on the part of the 'public highway' that I had tried to treat myself I could be held responsible and sued :shock:

I spilt a bit more salt then hastily retreated :shock::?:lol:

Is what he said right :shock:

Dismayed, I have heard that one before. I have no idea whether it is true or not.

I still clear it away. WHY should anyone fall where there is no snow or ice.

Perhaps they salted the Forge car park "AFTER" the lady had her accident.

Mary, Good idea but I covered a lot of ground and wouldn't have been able to carry it. Couild have got Jane to carry it though. :wink:

Dismayed, I have heard that one before. I have no idea whether it is true or not.

I still clear it away. WHY should anyone fall where there is no snow or ice.:

Thats what I thought but maybe it's the fact that I would be lulling someone into a false sense of security by making one area safe whilst the next step would be treacherous :lol: ...

Why after ?? She didn't fall on the forge car park she fell on the slippery pavement near the doctors surgery :?

Anyway council owned car parks are always gritted even you should know that :P

PS be carefull if you go out it's freezing hard already :shock:

Thats what I thought but maybe it's the fact that I would be lulling someone into a false sense of security by making one area safe whilst the next step would be treacherous :lol: ...

Probably the line a good solicitor would take.

Still a stupid idea. Isn't anyone responsible anymopre?

Ok.

Anyway council owned car parks are always gritted even you should know that :P

WHY would I know that???

well our roads and pavements are well and truly iced over round here. great for those who have ice skating experience, not so great it you haven't. that bad even my dog was slipping over yesterday and he has four legs, what chance have i got with only two :lol:

heard a loud beeping as well and looked out to see the guys that clean the grids trying to get the wagon turned round without hitting any of the parked cars in the street. strange that we never seem to see those guys when it is pouring with rain and the grids are overflowing. :(

can't wait for thursday, bin day round here and should be very interesting to see how they cope with the ice rink that is our road. that struggle at the best of times to reverse down the back alley, will have to fire the video up may get a few bob from Harry Hill when they slide into somebody's back yard :shock::shock:8):lol::lol::lol:

Olga from the Volga is dossing down at me Mams house over Christmas. She is one of them big Russian tractor driving wenches, who has been flown in to keep the runways clear at the airports. You should see her having a snow baff in the back yard in her fong and stuff.

Any bin men looking for a Christmas box, will be well advised not to bother at me Mams house I can tell yer.

Olga from the Volga is dossing down at me Mams house over Christmas. She is one of them big Russian tractor driving wenches, who has been flown in to keep the runways clear at the airports. You should see her having a snow baff in the back yard in her fong and stuff.

Any bin men looking for a Christmas box, will be well advised not to bother at me Mams house I can tell yer.

:shock::x Well, you two-timing louse! I am right glad I went bivvy wenching with Big Ron and Haddock now. They know how to treat a lady proper - said 'scuse after every windy blast in that tent, they did. Even went outside to wee at night so as not to splash my sleeping bag and Haddock didn't complain when he froze his tackle to that wire fence. You see if that Siberian slapper does as good a job with your flies as I would have - tell you now, she'll not do a sausage surprise like mine after a day at the rods! If your mam wasn't such a lady, I'd come round there and tell you in person.

Seems Councils are to blame for folk slipping over on ice, and in some cases killing themselves. Given the apparent inabilty for some folk to assess the risk of walking on ice, the Council are supposed to come along and tape off such areas of risk. Seems nothing is now ever your own fault, it's always someone else's. :roll:

May be relevant. a man slipped and died on Xmas day in Urmston cemetery (reported yesterday).

We had a wreath to take to the same cemetery and after putting it off for a few days, were going on boxing day until I decided that it would be too dangerous.

Were the cemetery officials at fault or the man who took the risk? Not everywhere can be gritted. Accidents just happen.

Happy days

May be relevant. a man slipped and died on Xmas day in Urmston cemetery (reported yesterday).

We had a wreath to take to the same cemetery and after putting it off for a few days, were going on boxing day until I decided that it would be too dangerous.

Were the cemetery officials at fault or the man who took the risk? Not everywhere can be gritted. Accidents just happen.

Happy days

Thing is Harry, the deceased would not have known it was icy in the cemetary until he got there..... He may have slipped whilst turning round after deciding it was too dangerous!! Who knows!! :lol:

Shouldn't the individual be responsible for the decision?

This is becoming more common. People (and I blame Governments) are being led down a path whereby officialdom makes all the decisions. In 50 years time everyone will be a zombie, Not just the odd few that we have at the moment. :roll: