Mobiles and brain tumors

Horace

Did anyone see the report on new research into possible links between long term use of mobile phones and brain tumors?

It seems there is now a definite likelihood of such a link.

This is not coming from some crackpot doctor or mad scientist.

It is the result of a ?20m 10-year research programme, overseen by the World Health Organisation.

Surely we should be banning our children from using mobiles and restricting our own use?

I know there are plenty of other sources of such radiation which are probably just as dangerous, but we don't normally hold them against our heads.

It has always seemed strange to me that everyone objects to having a phone mast near their home but no-one seems to recognised the even more dangerous practice of pressing a mobile against their ear!

trouble with these reports are that they use the word possible to justify them.

it is like saying there is a possible link between our government and Dr who's tardis. both are bigger on the inside than the outside and both appear to have no basis in the real world. although the tardis comes closer than the government.

until they can say that mobile phone use definitely cause brain tumours and here is the proof then they can only say that there is a possible link and that makes the statement worthless in the eyes of the manufacturers.

even then if they had proof the manufacturers would probably claim that the results are based on the old version mobile phones and that the new phones have better safeguards to prevent the cause of such tumours ever being likely or possible.

but then i am a cynical type at times and believe that for every expert that will swear that something is true there will be another expert that will swear the opposite. :?

I?m no medical expert but I would think that there is some risk from a mobile when it?s held directly against the brain. The manufactures are never going to say as much but would always advise a hands free option somewhere in their info to cover themselves.

The irony is that while people object to mobile masts, it?s the very lack of masts that cause the handsets to transmit more power. In an ideal mobile world, masts would be as common as telephone poles or lamp standards, then the power needed would be a minute fraction of what it is now.

Bill :)

How did you get a brain tumour before mobile phones?

Bill, I find it very difficult to get my mobile directly against my brain. Would it be easier to stick my head in the microwave?

Experts aka charlatans are being paid megabucks to come up with drivel.

I reckon it's natural selection. Those irritating cretins who spend all day babbling into a mobile phone to prove to us all they're popular; the ones in shops talking whilst the assistant is trying to ask them things; the shop assistants who ignore me and burble into headsets about their boyfriends - Nature is eliminating them. My only question is how you get a brain tumour when you've clearly got no brain to begin with?

Eagle, given the fact that microwaves only work with the door closed, you'd have to detach your head first. If you can do that and still pop it in there yourself, I don't think it's worth bothering cos clearly you're invincible. If not, well, you'll need a friend to help, but the tumour is the least of your worries..... :lol:

How did you get by before mobile phones? Pretty well, I suspect.

They are the most useless products of new technology. They encourage people to be disorganised (while claiming the opposite), they have led to millions of people (particularly children) holding trivial conversations (usually in the street) with friends who apparently have nothing better to do.

So even if they didn't pose a possible health risk they would have been a bad influence. The fact that there IS apparently a health risk makes it even more idiotic to use them. Yet nearly everyone does.

Just shows what an inadequate lot we are. We should, to use a rather nasty modern expression, "get a life"

It's going a bit over the top by calling them "useless" Egbert. They have made my job easier on board ship as I can now contact people ashore more easily. Before mobile phones I would have to use VHF radio to make a link call via a coast radio station, often having to queue up for a turn if the station was busy. So they do have their uses. Of course the downside is that it makes me easier to get hold of if someone in the office wants the answer to a stupid question they could have found out themselves with a few minutes research :evil::evil:

Oh Egbert - sometimes I really think you are just trolling! Don't you watch telly? Go and watch any programme that predates mobiles and SOMEONE will be in a position where you think "ooooh, if they'd had a mobile, that wouldn't have happened". Roadside assistance, reporting emergencies, summoning medical help, passing on urgent information - mobile communication has done an incredible amount of good, and most of the trivial stuff is harmless. As with anything else, from the invention of the wheel or the discovery of fire onwards, it's just the irritating minority who find a way to muck things up for everyone. :roll:

No - I am not "trolling" - whatever "trolling" is. I don't think we can judge the value of the mobile on its usefulness to a minority of people on board a ship.

If all mobiles were used for were emergencies, I agree they would be extremely valuable. But it is not a minority that use them for trivial purposes - its a whopping great majority. Just look at them in the street. You can hardly walk 20 yards without seeing someone plodding along with a mobile clamped to their ear.

How many people do you know who use mobile when a landline is available simply because the number is stored. They certainly have more money than sense.

And I don't think trivia is harmless. It never is, whether on a mobile or not. It encourages people to be shallow minded.

If, and I repeat IF, the warnings of the researchers turn out to be correct, it will present future generations with a catastrophe that makes, say, health problems due to smoking, a very minor problem indeed.

I really believe any parent who thinks anything about their children should ban them from having a mobile. Then perhaps they might "get a life".

Bill, I find it very difficult to get my mobile directly against my brain. Would it be easier to stick my head in the microwave?

Experts aka charlatans are being paid megabucks to come up with drivel.

Eagle posed the above questions for Bill to answer above:

The simple answer is despite years of research the medical profession doesn?t fully understand, however the following web site http://www.chw.org/display/PPF/DocID/22484/router.asp attempts to answer the question.

What causes brain tumors?

The majority of brain tumors have abnormalities of genes involved in cell cycle control, causing uncontrolled cell growth. These abnormalities are caused by alterations directly in the genes, or by chromosome re-arrangements that change the function of a gene.

Patients with certain genetic conditions (i.e. neurofibromatosis, von Hippel-Lindau disease, Li-Fraumeni syndrome, and retinoblastoma) also have an increased risk to develop tumors of the central nervous system. There have also been some reports of children in the same family developing brain tumors who do not have any of these genetic syndromes.

Research has been investigating parents of children with brain tumors and their past exposure to certain chemicals. Some chemicals may change the structure of a gene that protects the body from diseases and cancer. Workers in oil refining, rubber manufacturing, and chemists have a higher incidence of certain types of tumors. Which, if any, chemical toxin is related to this increase in tumors is unknown.

Children who have received radiation therapy to the head as part of prior treatment for other malignancies are also at an increased risk for new brain tumors

Eagle then went on ?Bill, I find it very difficult to get my mobile directly against my brain. Would it be easier to stick my head in the microwave??

Nothing to stop you trying Eagle and reporting back but I wouldn?t recommend it and anyway wouldn?t you have to close the door behind you?

and finally he concludes

?Experts aka charlatans are being paid megabucks to come up with drivel?.

But we must ask Eagle if he can explain:

1. Why they are charlatans?

2. What their hourly rate is as well as a full cost break down for research facilities, capturing and analysing data etc?

3. What he means by the term drivel? Is it

a. Something he doesn't agree with?

b. Something he can?t understand?

c. Does he have another hypothesis that you can prove?

But we must ask Eagle if he can explain:

1. Why they are charlatans?

2. What their hourly rate is as well as a full cost break down for research facilities, capturing and analysing data etc?

3. What he means by the term drivel? Is it

a. Something he doesn't agree with?

b. Something he can?t understand?

c. Does he have another hypothesis that you can prove?

1. Because I said so

2. Loads of our money.

3. Yes, no, no.

The simple answer is despite years of research the medical profession doesn?t fully understand

That lot definitely earned their corn didn't they?

Trolling, Egbert, is the practice of posting statements merely to provoke reactions/arguments.

A bit like when someone rubbishes an invention that has saved untold numbers from harm or death already and will continue to do so. There are occasions where bad manners over the use of mobiles is exceedingly irksome, and obvously, using them whilst driving is a major no-no - but the same is true of an ironing board. To use one in the theatre or on a bus is irritating for everyone else and to use one whilst driving will cause an accident! Do you rant about ironing boards too? :roll:

Anyway, never mind you - there's a clash of the Titans on here. Geoff versus Eagle... how will it end? :shock:

I've got one at the back of a drawer somewhere but I reckon it's COOLER not to have one nowadays. I sometimes despair about the zombie like state of youngsters these days, especially young women who walk along clinging to mobile phones in much the same way as a baby clutches to a comfort blanket.I doubt they would be able to function properly without the phone in their fist. On the train sometimes it really kisses me off to hear some 1980's type throwback yuppie absolutely bellowing into a phone(why do they have to shout?). I feel like shoving it somewhere warm, damp and very dark. When my daughters come to visit their phones are going off every few minutes and they talk the most inane drivel. If they aren't talking they're texting. Next time they arrive I'll check their phones at the front door and they can collect them when they leave.

I think I may be developing into a Grumpy Old Man.

i must say that i agree with you on the last bit safe. my niece comes to visit on a Monday evening. she only stops for about an hour and her phones must ring about twenty five times in that period.

i carry my mobile wherever i go and always have it at the side of my bed at night but that is in case one of the family wants to get in touch in an emergency. it is also in case i am taken ill at any time whilst out and about, especially whilst walking the dog . at least i would (hopefully) be able to summon assistance in the event that my heart trouble flared up.

i must admit though that it can be a pain at times as Mrs Sid is forever calling me when i am out to see if i am ok and what time i will be home. most of the time she will ask how long i will be and then call back five minutes later to see what the hold up is :(:?:lol:

Please tell me how we all managed to live our lives before mobile phones were invented. I grew up in a village that had 1 red phone box (outside the chip shop) and 2 private phones, 1 of which was ours. All our neighbours knew our number and gave it out to their relatives, friends, etc. "in case of emergencies". :roll:

I was married 7 years and in my 3rd home before I had a phone of my own, up in the wilds of the North Yorks Moors. I rang everybody I knew, who had a phone, to tell them I had this beautiful, two-tone green thing and it lived on the bay-window-sill in full view of all the avenue. Some 25 years later my husband had one of the first mobiles. It was black, as large as a house-brick and he only used it for business. It lived in his brief case and we all used to jump when it rang unexpectedly. :lol:

The thing is, I managed to bring up 3 children, hold down a professional job, have friends and relatives, arrive and depart from various points around the country, even go abroad on holiday, without a mobile. I didn't have to walk around town with one clamped to my ear or hold earnest conversations in the middle of Sainsburys - and I survived.

I've got one now, bought my first about 12 years ago. I figured if I was alone on the M6 (used to be visiting my elderly Mum, a lot, in Blackburn) and broke down I'd rather not get out of my car to ring the AA. Members of my family know my number but I don't, generally, give it out. It's useful for text messages but it's a pain in the bum trying to talk if you're in a "bad spot". I just would love to know what people find to talk about, constantly, that we didn't 40 years ago.

probably all the things we talk about on this forum but in what is called "real time".

you know the sort of stuff: X-factor, corrie, strictly, oprah, what such and such did last night that you missed because you were busy texting about what they had done the night before, how many bags of sugar do you want and what did you want for tea, should i get this brand as it on offer three for two.

the sort of conversation that we used to have when we got home from work and the telly was as bad as it is today. instead of being quiet so that we did not interrupt ena sharples insights into the evils of drink as she sat drinking her milk stout. :lol:

No - I am not "trolling" - whatever "trolling" is.

Trolling is a fishing term - when you have a small engine on a boat and slowly go through the water with you fishing rod down to see what fish you can entice.

The more modern version is what was stated earlier - fishing for a reaction. :wink:

I don't understand what all the moaning is about. If people want to spend all their time chatting on their mobiles what's up with that? Okay it can be annoying when it's some loudmouth on the train, but only because you can only hear one side of the conversation :lol::lol:

Oh, Asp! You've gone all reasonable again and forced me to agree with you. :shock: You were supposed to want to keelhaul them because the Navy managed with flags for centuries..... consistency, please! :lol::lol:

No - I am not "trolling" - whatever "trolling" is.

Trolling is a fishing term - when you have a small engine on a boat and slowly go through the water with you fishing rod down to see what fish you can entice.

The more modern version is what was stated earlier - fishing for a reaction. :wink:

Funny, I thought the word was "trawling" - as in "trawler" - a fishing boat.