Swine Flu

wolfie

Do you know of anyone who has contracted swine flu?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know of anyone who has contracted swine flu?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I've got it but I do feel c*** today and my son thinks I've got it :?:roll:

His concern come from the fact that a letter has been sent home from his school saying a pupil there is suspected of having swine flu... :shock: altough today he says there are others there too with it :?

Three customers at work have said their relatives DO have it... nice of them to pop in to see us eh :roll:

And according to the 'word on the street' (which lets face it usually gets distorted) a school in Sankey might be closing early for summer as loads of kids have it :?:?:

Me... well I think I've just got a combination of bad hayfever and a normal cold..... or have I :shock:

Guess as they are no longer actually swabbing and testing people around here for the virus people will never know if they really had piggy flue or just a normal summer cold :wink:

According to my youngest somebody in year 9 at Bridgewater has it.

Don't know why they didn't call it Mexican Flu, Swine Flu makes it sound so dreadful. I understand it is less serious than some of the seasonal flu that we have had over the years.

PS I understand Stockton Heath Medical Centre has a note on the door saying if you've got it, don't come in.

PS I understand Stockton Heath Medical Centre has a note on the door saying if you've got it, don't come in.

The sign has been there for well over a month now... but how do you know if you've got it if you can't go in :lol:

Plenty of people sneezing and coughing when I was in there earlier... including me :shock:

No wonder my blood pressure is so high.. I'm scared of catching swine flu every time I go in :shock:

Anyway in reality it's probably no worse than normal flu except that every man who gets the sniffles now can milk it for all it's worth and then boast for years that he beat the terrible epedemic of 2009 :wink:

The Honiton Way health centre in Penketh has the same notice. Mind you I can't think why someone with flu would want to go to the doctor anyway. If its mild enough for them to leave the house the doctor's not going to give them anything apart from advice to rest and drink plenty of fluids (and, as the doctor I had when I was very young used to advise, get a new pair of shoes!). If it's really serious flu they wouldn't be able to get out of bed never mind the house. In other words folks, keep your filthy germs to yourselves!!! :wink::wink::wink:

It's frankly amazing just how thick people can be; despite all the information telling folk to isolate themselves in their homes, and get a friend to leave any provisions on your door-step; like lemmings, they are crowding into GPs waiting rooms to share it. :shock: It's a good job, this flu appears (at the moment) to be mild. :twisted:

Why is every one panicking? Flu is bad at any time and people die from it. This flu is no worse than any other, just given more publicity and a Name.

I had a flu with a Name in 1957 when I was 14. That Name was Asian flu and it was a very nasty illness, though the schools didn't close. I had an equally nasty flu 12 years later but it was in the Winter and didn't have a Name so there was nothing about the virus in the media.

Come on, folks, there's a flu bug going round. It's not, as far as I know, the Black Death. :roll:

There are two considerations here: one is the "rate of spread"of a contagion, which requires containment and isolation - now clearly a failiure. :shock: The other is the degree of virulence of the of the virus - which has fortunately proved, to-date, to be quite mild. :shock: However, any mutation could alter this, thus making most cases fatal rather than just the few. :roll: Not panick, just sensible precautionary measures by the Government, who presumably don't want a repeat of the 1918 "Spanish" Flu pandemic. :shock:

In the US in 1976 there was an outbreak of "Swine Flu" which prompted the government to vaccinate the entire population. They stopped the programme after less than half the people had been vaccinated because 25 people had been killed by the vaccine - more than were killed by the flu. Governments usually don't know best! :roll::roll:

Make your mind up asperity,you spend half your time on here moaning about goverment in action, and the other half moaning about them over doing it. The flu virus can easly mutate. To see how bad it can get you do not have to look that far back in our history. I am glad the government are not taking any chances

Latest news is that it is going to get bad. Scaremongering by the media or what?

Are other countries affected? and hwat do they do if they are?

It seems to me that people don't take these things seriously on the "it won't happen to me" basis.

According to my youngest somebody in year 9 at Bridgewater has it.

Same school as mine.

I was impressed to hear from my son tonight that the school has taken the precautionary measure of installing antibacterial (or whatever it is) 'hand wash' in each classroom and the kids have to use it when entering/exiting each room. Strangely enough he says they have ALL been using it all day long :D

Made me think though whilst I was pushing my trolley around Morrisons tonight.... how many other hands had held the trolley handle during the day and worse still how many snotty little kids had sat in the seat near the handle throughout the day.

I'm not paranoid or overworried about it but it is always wise to take precautions so just to be on the safe side I bought some 'no water needed' hand germ killer for 99p and used it when I came out :shock::lol:

Maybe all supermarkets should install it free of charge at their trolley bays to cut down on the possible spread of germs :wink:

Make your mind up asperity,you spend half your time on here moaning about goverment in action, and the other half moaning about them over doing it. The flu virus can easly mutate. To see how bad it can get you do not have to look that far back in our history. I am glad the government are not taking any chances

Government in action and government over doing it. The same thing surely, just different degrees of action?

Too much interference by government. And as for the virus mutating, if it does what use is the vaccine? As usual the government doing something because thats what they think they should be doing. To quote Jeremy Clarkson "LEAVE US ALONE!"

:evil::evil:

No, what I mean is LEAVE ME ALONE!! I DON'T NEED THE GOVERNMENT TO TELL ME IF I NEED A FLU VACCINE, OR IF I SHOULD USE SUN CREAM AND DRINK WATER WHEN THE SUN SHINES, OR ANY OF THE OTHER BUSYBODY "INITIATIVES" THEY DREAM UP AS A DIVERSION FROM THEIR MISMANAGEMENT OF THE COUNTRY. Clear? :wink::wink:

:shock::lol: Are you having a bad day Asp :P

I completely agree with you about the suncream, water and other stupid initiatives :lol:

However in the case of swine flu aren't the government the ones who approve the making of additional vaccines should a serious pandemic occur?

You never know it 'may' still be needed and if they leave us completely alone and to fend for ourselves we may find that we can't get the get medication we need..... saying that it all comes down to money and as the government have control over it, not the NHS, I guess we're buggered anyway if it does get really bad or mutuates :shock::evil::wink: