Something is puzzling me.

From what I’ve read, the C.1.2 variant is not that much worse than Delta, so much so that according to the WHO, it doesn’t even qualify as a virus of concern and is expected like many other variants to naturally die out. Of course, the press focus and emphasise the point that it’s more transmissible but in reality it’s statistically only just a tad worse than Delta. I wouldn’t lose any sleep over this one.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bill said:

From what I’ve read, the C.1.2 variant is not that much worse than Delta, so much so that according to the WHO, it doesn’t even qualify as a virus of concern and is expected like many other variants to naturally die out. Of course, the press focus and emphasise the point that it’s more transmissible but in reality it’s statistically only just a tad worse than Delta. I wouldn’t lose any sleep over this one.

Bill 😊

Ahhhh thank Gawd.. the press are sods for clickbait headlines to sell their rags 😎

Well all is not quite so well in Scotland

The number of new Covid cases reported in Scotland has hit another record high of 7,113.

It comes as Health Secretary Humza Yousaf warned the NHS was facing a "perfect storm" of pressure.

The latest government figures show a total of 507 people are in hospital with Covid and 52 are in intensive care.

But they had 60,000 in Ibrox on Sunday no distancing or masks

It defies logic 🙄

I don’t think another full lockdown will happen given people aren’t getting quite so ill with it but there might be some tightening of the measures such as bringing back some distancing and masks certainly for indoors. What we seem to have is something akin to a bad load of the flu virus that’s active 365 days a year rather than just the winter months. The idea that it’d reduce dramatically during the summer seems not to be the case.

Bill 😊

There is some serious thinking going on I suspect. The booster programme has gone quiet and Boots are taking bookings for Flu jabs for over 65's without a Covid booster. Prof Paul Hunter is saying the number of cases due to endemic equilibrium would be 54,000 per day. I am looking for more information on that idea but it would suggest that the elderly need continued boosters but until a certain age if is just treated like the common cold (not flu). These are interesting ideas and I have yet to find corroboration but a change of approach seems to be happening. Anyone spotted anything like this?

A lot of the Covid news has understandably been overshadowed by events in Afghanistan but given we’re running into the Autumn now and nothing is being said about the booster jab, it does make me wonder if the plans are changing. Clearly this is all new territory and just how long the antibodies last and the degree of protection they provide won’t really be know until it starts to go bad again.

My friend who caught the disease right at the beginning recently took part in a test to see if antibodies from the original infection were still present after nearly two years. Amazingly they were still there so maybe even at very low levels there is a degree of protection, and this may be affecting the thinking about routinely giving the booster to everyone.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Bill said:

A lot of the Covid news has understandably been overshadowed by events in Afghanistan but given we’re running into the Autumn now and nothing is being said about the booster jab, it does make me wonder if the plans are changing. Clearly this is all new territory and just how long the antibodies last and the degree of protection they provide won’t really be know until it starts to go bad again.

My friend who caught the disease right at the beginning recently took part in a test to see if antibodies from the original infection were still present after nearly two years. Amazingly they were still there so maybe even at very low levels there is a degree of protection, and this may be affecting the thinking about routinely giving the booster to everyone.

Bill 😊

They were only gearing up for over 50's and extremely vulnerable between Sep and Dec anyway, not everyone. Yes it is changing, I keep looking for something new from the JCVI but there has been nothing. Your story about your friend is interesting. They still don't know how to evaluate the effect of T-cells and the fast response. I believe it is not as effective in the upper respiratory tract so you can get it again there again and I would expect that is a less serious infection than if it spreads to the lower tract. Hence the Professor's like a cold comment. I do wish we were given proper information instead of 10 second sound bites.

As I wrote the above the BBC live site put out a story "Government still aiming for booster programme in September" 

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2021 at 7:15 AM, Evil Sid said:

I have a text from my doctors to say that they will be offering a booster jab along with the flu jab from September.

They will contact me to make my appointment and will no doubt ask if i want one or both or none.

Be feeling like a voodoo doll at this rate.......📌

I'm booked in for a double ;  covid booster + Flu jab a week on Saturday .

See the source image

13 minutes ago, Latchford Locks said:

If you don't hear give your practice a call

Last time i did that they said "aren't you dead yet?".....🤣

The receptionist should be able to sort  the when and where for you. Mine was at the jubilee hub, surprisingly it was my own doctor and practice nurse that were on duty at the time. I wonder if they have set days for each practice, unlikely but possible.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Observer II said:

According to the answer phone at my GPs surgery, they are not accepting enquiries about covid jabs -  😷

How did you book your first dose (did the GP send to a text or phone or did you book online with the national service? Was your second dose at least 26 weeks ago and if not how many weeks ago was it?

The priorities for surgeries and the PCN networks are meant to be different this time with more being expected to use the National Booking Service according to NHS documents. The exception being, of course, Sid's excellent surgery getting on with the job.

My first doses were done by the NHS system, I just got a letter in the post.  Having finally got the info needed from my GPs receptionist; I'm getting the normal flu jab on Saturday.  She gave me the number to ring (199) for the NHS scheme, and was told that I will get a letter in due course.   😷

4 minutes ago, Observer II said:

My first doses were done by the NHS system, I just got a letter in the post.  Having finally got the info needed from my GPs receptionist; I'm getting the normal flu jab on Saturday.  She gave me the number to ring (199) for the NHS scheme, and was told that I will get a letter in due course.   😷

The telephone alternative to the website is actually 119. Try the website when you get to 25 weeks after the second jab and you should be able to get an appointment.

12 hours ago, Observer II said:

Having finally got the info needed from my GPs receptionist; I'm getting the normal flu jab on Saturday.  She gave me the number to ring (199) for the NHS scheme, and was told that I will get a letter in due course.   😷

That's poor they can do both instead of putting you to the bother of 2 trips rather than 1.

If you work it also gets expensive two lots of time off

I actually had my last Flu jab at the Chemist !   The GP receptionist told me the flu and covid booster had to be separated, but the 119 people said you can have them together;  but the booster comes 6 months after the first two jabs, so I'm now waiting for their summons.  Sounds a bit like organised chaos I suppose.    😷