Something is puzzling me.

As is being widely reported  cases are still rising despite 80%+ of us being double jabbed..

So who are getting sick and hospitalised ? 

And also.....

If we had not been vaccinated what would have happened would we still be here even ?

Or would the world have virtually ended ?

Perfectly valid questions that nobody on tv (that I know of) ever seems to raise...

I think what we've learnt, is that the vaccine provides protection against a terminal case of covid for most folk; but doesn't stop you catching it or spreading it.  However, as it continues to spread amongst the population, it can morph into a strain that will overcome current vaccines, and thus become more deadly.  We've now got anti-vaxers dying; and wishing they'd had the vaccine - tough.   What is clear, is that the fat lady hasn't sang yet.      😷

• Upvote 1

The numbers are going up quite simply because we’ve relaxed all the measures that previously helped to hold it all down. The younger generation, because they socialize more and are less careful than us oldies, are the main speeders of the virus but it’s not the end of the world as each one of them that gets it builds up antibodies. Apparently @95% of people now have antibodies either from catching it or being vaccinated so hopefully there wont be too many requiring hospitalization.

It's the ability of this virus to spread even amongst the vaccinated that’s the biggest worry. We’ve found a way to stop it killing lots of people but other than more social distancing, it looks like it could go on forever.   

Bill 😊

• Upvote 2

On 8/20/2021 at 5:55 PM, Bill said:

The numbers are going up quite simply because we’ve relaxed all the measures that previously helped to hold it all down. The younger generation, because they socialize more and are less careful than us oldies, 

Bill 😊

I was just in Home Bargains and all the over 50's are still wearing a mask and keeping 2 mts apart from folk in the queue.

The young ones don't mask up or distance.

Ah well I'm still playing it safe and feel better for it.

I don't understand their logic is it bravado or just a couldn't care less attitude ?

23 minutes ago, Observer II said:

Youngsters think they are immortal and have no sense of danger;  hence many die in accidents - it's all about the survival of the fittest or luckiest. Darwinian     😷

Looking back I never thought about ill health or other dangers.

Well I'm still here(just)

And then like a express train whooooosh Age happens and that's it aches pains and being ultra cautious.

And that lad who raced up and down a rugby pitch becomes ....................

Old 🥴

Image result for old age appears funny images

• Upvote 1

We did a Home Bargains shop last week and I noticed exactly the same. I understand the “it’ll never happen to me and in any case I can’t be bothered attitude” of the young but it’s the middle age ones that get me wondering. They’re old enough to understand how the virus spreads and the meaning of showing respect for others and yet they choose not to wear their masks? I’m probably well off the mark here but I wonder just how much of this is due to not wanting to be thought of as being part of the older generation.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

But it is not compulsory to wear a mask now and eve when it was there were so many exceptions  for not wearing one and no real way of enforcing lack of mask wear.

if the vaccine works as claimed then it is the younger people who should be worried about not having had it and catching the virus not the older people who should have had both shots by now and are on the list for the top up when the "standard" flu jab time arrives.

That is the thing about freedom you are free to make your choice and just as free to suffer the consequences of that choice.

remember in every old person is nineteen year old wondering what happened........🤔

• Upvote 2

What do they expect ?   They've now traced surges to several large scale events, not least the Olympics;  relaxations just invite a viral bite back; perhaps older folk are wise enough to continue with caution.    Seems with all the effort being made with Covid, that the drug companies haven't been able to identify the potential strains of the normal flu virus for this winter's flu injection, so can we expect that to take off ?   One step forward, two steps back.      😷

• Upvote 1

Yes, but it doesn’t work that way Sid, in fact I’d go so far as to say it’s exactly the opposite. Most kids aren’t worried about the virus at all, but the oldies are because despite their double jabs, they know that the chance of catching it remains as high now as it’s ever been. Add into the equation the amount of time since they got their jab and it’s reducing effectiveness, plus the fact that for some it offers no protection at all, and the threat is still there; its just not killing quite so many people at the moment.

As for personal freedoms, I understand the argument but don't you think it’s a bit like like drink-driving? Nobody says you can’t have a drink, but we all know it’s a risk that could ultimately end up killing someone. But if over 100 people were killed on the road every day through drink, then that particular freedom wouldn’t last long. At least with drink we can quantify and set legal limits but we can't quantify lack of respect for others.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Observer II said:

Eco Warriors (Extinction Rebellion) in London are now chaining themselves to cars. 

Personally i would glue the locks up and leave them to it for a few days. If they complain that they are cold start the car to warm them up. A few laps round Piccadilly Circus should do it.

• Haha 1

Going back to Latchy’s original question, it’s an interesting one that we can only guess at. If we hadn’t come up with a vaccine, then for sure a hell of a lot more people would have died with the majority being from the older generation. Plus, with no medical solution and the fact that a permanent lockdown would completely bankrupt the economy, we’d end up having to take our own chances, with the more vulnerable and elderly living in a state of permanent isolation. Then after several years, having wiped out all those susceptible to it, the virus would become little more troublesome than the seasonal flu.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1