Another Strain -

Observer II

It seems every few weeks a new "variant" emerges. Well ok so what ?

If we go into panic drive every time we see the headlines in all the papers next day ..

I'm personally sick to the back teeth of it all , lets accept they occur but that's it, We can't do sod all about it so why stew on it.

We should just plod on as normal and refuse to read all this "news bait" the media keep sending out.

If armageddon  is just around the corner why worry we will  pop our clogs one way or another with something one day but we don't worry continuously about it.

• Upvote 2

There are many strains of the common cold which is why we can each get multiple visitations of the common cold annually.

They were saying on the news last night that of the 58000 people that took part in trial events without restrictions or precautions  just 28 cases of covid had been found.

Think about it -   We've got a Gov telling us we can't go abroad, there's a Scots Gov telling folk they can't visit Manchester or visa versa; we've got a PM who's indecision allowed 20,000 Indians, where the pandemic was raging, to bring the Delta variant in.   The idea that we have any kind of protection, other than the vaccine, against spread is a joke.   😷

51 minutes ago, Observer II said:

Think about it -   We've got a Gov telling us we can't go abroad, there's a Scots Gov telling folk they can't visit Manchester or visa versa; we've got a PM who's indecision allowed 20,000 Indians, where the pandemic was raging, to bring the Delta variant in.   The idea that we have any kind of protection, other than the vaccine, against spread is a joke.   😷

That would be the delta variant that was not yet discovered because sampling rate are lower in almost every country around the world than they are here. A new low in hindsight captain!

India should have been on the red list along with Pakistan - but wasn't; for several days, allowing the 20,000 to return to the UK without quarantine, bringing the Delta with them.  Still, I suppose Matt Hancock had other things on his mind at the time !     :rolleyes:    😷

So apart from having slightly different characteristics, how are the different variants treated by doctors? Are there different treatments for each variant or is the variation only of interest to the "scientists"? Oh look, we've run out of Greek letters, alas alack what are we to do?

3 minutes ago, asperity said:

So apart from having slightly different characteristics, how are the different variants treated by doctors? Are there different treatments for each variant or is the variation only of interest to the "scientists"? Oh look, we've run out of Greek letters, alas alack what are we to do?

The differences cause changes to the fit of the virus' receptor binding site in the ACE2 sites in the body as well as the fit of antibodies generated by the vaccines to the attacking virus. The latter can be affected by mutations such as E484K which can reduce the match and provide the phenomenon known as vaccine escape. This reduces the effectiveness of the vaccines, for example the delta variant also reduces the effectiveness compared to the initial wild variant arriving from Italy. There is not a difference in treatment other than if you are unfortunate enough to need monoclonal antibodies which might not work with some variants.

If we run out of (Greek) letters we could use two letter combinations or even more, no need to worry on that score. 

So in effect there is no real difference as far as treatment is concerned. They can tweak the vaccines but we can't all be vaccinated every time a new variant is found so we are just going to have to live with the virus, and start saving lives that are being lost in their thousands to all the other ailments that are being ignored at the moment.

1 hour ago, asperity said:

So in effect there is no real difference as far as treatment is concerned. They can tweak the vaccines but we can't all be vaccinated every time a new variant is found so we are just going to have to live with the virus, and start saving lives that are being lost in their thousands to all the other ailments that are being ignored at the moment.

The thing is that the vaccine escape variants come with a limited number of mutations that cause the problem. If they make the messenger RNA vaccines target protein sequences away from the mutations as well as the original sequences they can prevent vaccine escape to a better degree. That is why they are investigating so many VUI to find the right changes. I would expect some of them to be in the booster jabs in due course, they have produced new testing protocols to permit that to be achieved safely and quickly.

12 hours ago, asperity said:

Fair enough, but all the pretending and government led fear-mongering has to stop now.

In my mind the government has given out facts and aspirations but the mainstream national media is what has distorted it in the way you claim. I am afraid they they will not stop whilst fear sells newspapers and makes people watch TV. 

So government ministers didn't wear masks and social distance, and stopped doing it when they thought we weren't looking? I call that pretending. As for the MSM, they have been cheering the pantomime on as hard as they can, government led fear-mongering. Fear certainly does sell newspapers, but some truth telling wouldn't go amiss.

And there we have it - "we are not ruled by robots yet". We are not supposed to be ruled by government ministers, we still live in a democracy where the government is supposed to work for us, not give us orders to obey. They seem to have lost sight of this.

You could bet on this not being from someone that just happened to notice but rather one of media types who see their role in life to actively try to catch out ministers who don’t exactly follow the rules. As far as I know, it’s not been admitted how the image was gained from the inside of the building or who did it. It’s a bit blurry and some suggest it’s a photo of a video screen while other suggest it’s through a window, but I thought it was illegal for the press to photograph people inside a private building.

Bill 😊

But was it in a private building or and government building?

You could argue that if it was a government building then it is not a private building and therefore not illegal to photograph goings on there.

Although poking a camera through the window of MI6 might be frowned upon......🕵️‍♂️

4 hours ago, Observer II said:

What are you talking about Asp; we have to obey Gov and Local Gov "orders" everyday; it's called the law;   like obeying road signs, driving on the left of the road etc.   Anything less is anarchy.    :rolleyes:

We are expected to obey the law, we are not expected to follow the orders of the government - that's a dictatorship. Thinking like this is what has led the police to levy fines on people for having the audacity to sit on park benches instead of sitting at home like good little citizens.

5 hours ago, asperity said:

And there we have it - "we are not ruled by robots yet". We are not supposed to be ruled by government ministers, we still live in a democracy where the government is supposed to work for us, not give us orders to obey. They seem to have lost sight of this.

You need to remember that this country is a constitutional monarchy and we are actually ruled by the Queen acting through her government within the rule of law. In the final analysis you are a subject and not a citizen!  You seem to have lost sight of this!

• Upvote 1

I'm a citizen of the Republic of Ireland actually, and while I'm living in the UK I will act within the laws of the UK. That doesn't mean that I have to obey every whim that government ministers dream up (and you have to admit there's been plenty of those over the last year and a half!), and nor should any subject of HM Queen if they have any sense of self worth.