GB News ?

Observer II

1 hour ago, Observer II said:

Seems we're getting an alternative to the woke liberal news we've been fed for some time -  GB News, led by Andrew Neill.   Will it be available on Free View ?   :unsure:

Yes from June 13th. The network will be available on Freeview channel 236, Sky HD, Virgin Media HD, YouView channel 236 and Freesat channel 216.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2021 at 7:17 PM, Confused52 said:

Yes from June 13th. The network will be available on Freeview channel 236, Sky HD, Virgin Media HD, YouView channel 236 and Freesat channel 216.

BBC accused of attempting to shut out GB News at 11th-hour

JUNE 12, 2021 BY MIKE BUCHANAN 0 COMMENTS

GB News officially launches at 8pm tomorrow (Sunday) but is already posting some reports. A piece in today’s Telegraph:

Move to bar access to footage of public events is seen as an attempt to ‘damage’ Sunday’s launch of the right-leaning channel

The BBC has been accused of an eleventh-hour “ambush” intended to “damage” Sunday’s launch of the right-leaning television network GB News.

The corporation is alleged to have been pushing to bar GB News from accessing footage of public events via a “pooling” system run by the country’s three main broadcasters.

The move would leave the new channel unable to broadcast many major events where there is only space for one camera.

A GB News spokesman said: “This is an ambush by the BBC designed to damage the launch of GB News and protect their dominance of UK news broadcasting.  We will fight it.  And our launch continues.”

The move reignites a row that surfaced in 2010 when the Press Association, the national news agency, complained that it was unable to access footage from “single camera assignments” filmed as part of the UK Broadcast Pool, which comprises the BBC, Sky News and ITN.

At the time, the Commons culture committee urged the Government to “ensure the right of access for the Press Association” alongside the pool camera at national events,  “if the members of the broadcast pool are not prepared to make the content available to the Press Association at a reasonable cost”.

GB News claims that the BBC has been pushing for its new rival to be barred from receiving pooled footage from national events under a change to the pool’s rules which would take effect from Monday – the first full day of broadcasting for the new channel.

It is understood, however, that some members of the pool have expressed a willingness to license pooled material to GB News on “fair” terms. But GB News said it had not received any contact from any of the three broadcasters. It had signed a deal with Reuters for access to clips. A source said the news agency had been made “piggy in the middle” of the dispute.

2 hours ago, Latchford Locks said:

BBC accused of attempting to shut out GB News at 11th-hour

JUNE 12, 2021 BY MIKE BUCHANAN 0 COMMENTS

GB News officially launches at 8pm tomorrow (Sunday) but is already posting some reports. A piece in today’s Telegraph:

Move to bar access to footage of public events is seen as an attempt to ‘damage’ Sunday’s launch of the right-leaning channel

The BBC has been accused of an eleventh-hour “ambush” intended to “damage” Sunday’s launch of the right-leaning television network GB News.

The corporation is alleged to have been pushing to bar GB News from accessing footage of public events via a “pooling” system run by the country’s three main broadcasters.

The move would leave the new channel unable to broadcast many major events where there is only space for one camera.

A GB News spokesman said: “This is an ambush by the BBC designed to damage the launch of GB News and protect their dominance of UK news broadcasting.  We will fight it.  And our launch continues.”

The move reignites a row that surfaced in 2010 when the Press Association, the national news agency, complained that it was unable to access footage from “single camera assignments” filmed as part of the UK Broadcast Pool, which comprises the BBC, Sky News and ITN.

At the time, the Commons culture committee urged the Government to “ensure the right of access for the Press Association” alongside the pool camera at national events,  “if the members of the broadcast pool are not prepared to make the content available to the Press Association at a reasonable cost”.

GB News claims that the BBC has been pushing for its new rival to be barred from receiving pooled footage from national events under a change to the pool’s rules which would take effect from Monday – the first full day of broadcasting for the new channel.

It is understood, however, that some members of the pool have expressed a willingness to license pooled material to GB News on “fair” terms. But GB News said it had not received any contact from any of the three broadcasters. It had signed a deal with Reuters for access to clips. A source said the news agency had been made “piggy in the middle” of the dispute.

The Telegraph is off message here surely? Right leaning channel? Don't they mean extreme right channel - that's the way anything to the right of Stalin is usually painted in the MSM.

I used to get up every morning at the crack of dawn until I asked her to just nudge me instead. :)

I tried watching a bit more of the channel again today and it’s still looks very amateurish from a technical perspective. Still poor sound to vision synchronization and microphones that either are too low or don’t work at all.

Early days though. 

Bill 😊  

I think it might be a case of the advertisers pulling out because the entire program doesn’t seem to be living up to what people expect from a news channel. It’s just not as polished as the others and to date, I’ve not come across any general news reports, just interviews that dive far deep for the man on the street to follow. I think if it carries on like this, it will have a very narrow and limited audience and that’s not what the advertisers want.

Bill 😊

I think it has set out to be different from the BBC, ITV and Sky rolling news model as if that's what you want they are there. GB News wants to look into current affairs more deeply than the other news channels and give the viewer that alternative. There wouldn't have been any point in starting a channel that mimics the rest of them. Anyway only time will tell if it's a success or not and the advertisers will react accordingly. Some of them pulled out before the first broadcast so there must have been some influence in play.

Your right of course Asp but from what I’ve seen so far, it’s not exactly my cup of tea and ultimately viewing figures will determine what they can expect from advertising and or the length of time before it becomes another channel that falls by the wayside.

We mentioned initial technical wrinkles but several days in and they’ve still not sorted the basic problem of the whole program being transmitted at too low a volume level. I’m sure others would find this as annoying as I do, having to turn the volume right up to hear them, then getting your ears blown out when you change channel.

Bill 😊

GB News ratings: Launch show beats BBC and Sky despite 'technical difficulties'

GB NEWS' launch show smashed its ratings despite suffering "technical difficulties" with the sound - beating both the BBC and Sky with its viewing figures.

It launched on Sunday night with former BBC host Andrew Neil opening the show with a passionate speech about what the broadcaster aims to do. The segment saw the presenter chatting with Neil Oliver, although, his debut didn’t go to plan as he was hit with sound issues with his microphone. Despite the complaints from some viewers regarding the sound, the show pulled in thousands of viewers as according to BARB data, 164,500 people tuned in to watch between 7pm and 11pm on Sunday night.

“Excellent. The viewing numbers will grow in time. There are millions in the country who have given up on mainstream media but now have their concerns listened to.

“Well done. Please just fix the lack of lighting in the studios and fix the sound issues, then it’s perfect.

Another penned: “Great to see. We're watching this in the office instead of SKY News, but please sort the sound problems out! Cheers.” (sic)

“Interview with Tony Abbot was a breath of fresh air and common sense,” a third wrote.