73 year old kicked into Mersey.

Bill

The story about the elderly fisherman who was deliberately pushed into the Mersey by a gang of teenagers the other day has shocked everyone who read about it in the papers and heard the reports on TV tonight.

kick.jpg

But while hundreds took to social media to criticise the event, nobody questioned how the paper managed to get photos of the lad approaching the man from behind before kicking him into the river. We all know how kids these days like to video pranks for social media but whoever took the photos must have been involved in the prank and as such would probably know the identity of the offenders that the police are now looking for.

Beggars’ belief and portrays the town in a very dim light.

Bill 😊

So where did they get the pictures from?

If it was social media then surely whoever posted them must have some knowledge of who it was. or at least where the original pictures originated. No matter who it was they will have left some sort of electronic trail the police can track.

Hope when they do catch them they arrest them for attempted murder.

• Upvote 2

That’s what I thought Sid. Nobody would just take a photo a stranger’s back unless they knew what was about to occur next, so that photographer must have been in on the stunt. It’s not clear how the press got hold of the pictures but as you say, if it was from someone putting it out on social media, then the police should have little problem in finding out who put it there.

Oddly enough, when the story first appeared, I saw a FB post from a girl who said she and her friend helped to get the man out of the water and later the police were appealing for the two girls to come forward with any information they may have. The girls did a good job but I’d have though that anyone witnessing an attack like this on an elderly person would immediately report it to the police rather than just posting it on Facebook.

A sad refection of life these days but also very odd.

Bill 😊

3 hours ago, asperity said:

An 18 year old "man" has been charged. Benjamin Bridgeman according to the Liverpool Echo.

Yes thank goodness he's been caught plus name and address even given; great result.!!

Now lets throw the book at him; which I suspect this time they will , there is no room in civilised society for this behaviour.

• Upvote 1

This is reported elsewhere on our site, but for anyone who missed it.

""THE daughter of an elderly angler who was kicked into the River Mersey in Warrington by a thug who ran off laughing has organised a fundraiser to treat him to a special fishing day experience.

She is hoping to raise £300 for her 74-year-old dad, who was left very upset and still suffering ongoing minor injuries, following the incident last Sunday when he was kicked in the back from behind as he was fishing on the banks of the Mersey. As those responsible ran off laughing he was rescued by two teenage girls who were passing.""

I think a lot more than£300 will be raised.

Donations can be made via   https://www.gofundme.com/f/lets-get-my-dad-a-fishing-trip-experience

I chucked a fiver in this morning on behalf of the whole of civilized society and it made me feel a lot better for doing it. Could just as easily have been any one of us here and it could have gone very wrong in a big way, thank God it didn’t.

Reports say Bridgeman handed himself in, no doubt because he knew he’d be found out and thought this would help with any sentencing. He needs to be made an example of to dissuade others from attempting stupid stunts like this.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bill said:

I chucked a fiver in this morning on behalf of the whole of civilized society and it made me feel a lot better for doing it. Could just as easily have been any one of us here and it could have gone very wrong in a big way, thank God it didn’t.

Bill 😊

So have I 👌

• Upvote 2

Someone’s just put a copy of this idiot’s video on Facebook which shows him running at then kicking the man in the back knocking him into the river. The video includes a sound clip of him replying to someone that called him over his actions. He got really upset about being called for it and said that it’s important to have a sense of humour. He then went on to try to justify himself by saying he wouldn’t have done it if he’d had known the man was 73 years old.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Here I go again !  Never understood the differentiation in criminal law between 17 and 70.  A murder is a murder, an assault is an assault etc.  Boy, how I miss the Victorians, only one section of society has benefitted from their demise - the scousers !  There you go Obs I’ve helped you out, what is the world coming to?

A simple illustration.  In 1951, at 12 yrs old, I was returning from a day out touring Wales on my bike, riding up Mersey St, I came to the stop sign outside of the old newsagents there at Manchester Rd.  I touched a toe to the ground and rolled thru, looked up and saw a ‘Bobby’ on the opposite sidewalk waving me over.  He read me the riot act about ‘no complete stop’ and noted my name and address.  By the time I rode from Mersey St to Pinewood Ave and Padgate Lane, a cop car had already  talked with my parents and promised that if it ever happened again there would be serious consequences.

today cyclist don't even slow down at a red light as red lights do not apply to them or any other rules for road use apparently.

They do,however, insist that other road users follow the rules o the letter,particularly the ones hat apply to not deliberately running cyclist over who pull out in front of them without any indication.

But enough about those.

As i stated at in my first post the person should not be charged with assault but with attempted murder. They kicked another person into a river not knowing the persons age,medical condition or even if they could swim. Any number of factors could have resulted in the death of the person kicked. Saying that they did not know how old they were is no excuse or even any sort of defense.

must stop now before i start frothing at the mouth and eating the rug. not had my coffee yet.......🤪

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Bill said:

I’d have given him longer but at least he’ll have jail record to his name and the rest of his life to reflect on how stupid he was.

Bill 😊

Did he not get ordered to pay compensation to his victim ?

a nice weekend break fishing somewhere nice would have suited the victim I'm sure