What did they expect ?

Observer II

Well, certainly in London, the pubs were full and the drunks were hugging or fighting - no spacial distancing.   This is what happens when you deal with the lowest common denominator  of humanity; they'll be off doing the same in Spain, hoovering up their new virus spike, just in time to give us the second wave and another lock down.   :rolleyes:   😷

• Upvote 1

I'm going to Wigan tomorrow to resume my traditional lunchtime Tuesday session with an old mate of mine. We've been meeting there on Tuesdays for years and it will be nice to get together again. The pub we meet in tends to have a regular clientelle and they are usually well behaved, although some of them do get a bit excitable when the horse racing is on 🙄

• 3 weeks later...

Just did the weekly shop;  people still handling goods without gloves on, incl staff.   Tomorrow supposed to be mask day - the shops aren't going to enforce it, they can't even kit their own staff out; and some Police Forces have said they won't enforce it. So a complete waste of time - the lemmings are free, but will be swamping the Hospitals this Winter.  😷

I hope you have taken the time to read Gary's article on today's (Friday) news page about the mask legislation. it gives the guideline for the shop staff to try and resolve any issue regarding people NOT wearing a mask.

It may be just asking politely why they are not wearing a mask but if it escalates to heated argument or worse then they can call the police who will act with discretion.

The law does not apply to shop staff or in pubs and restaurants.

article link in case you have not had the chance to read it.

https://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2020/07/23/police-urge-residents-to-prepare-for-new-face-coverings-legislation/

• Upvote 1

You will probably find that the people who refuse to wear masks are the same ones who, if regulations were made to forbid the wearing of masks in shops, would insist on their right to wear one. People, in general, are thick. I see it on buses all the time. Everyone getting on wears a mask but then, when they want to talk to someone, pull the mask down over their chin thus defeating the whole object of the exercise. I don't have an answer except look out for yourself and leave the rest to their own device.

• Upvote 2

Well, the so-called legislation is so mixed up in it's drive for expediency, that the herd is bound to panic.  EG:  If you enter a sandwich bar you have to wear a mask;  but if you sit at a table in the same bar to eat them, you can obviously take the mask off - same bar, same environment.  The primary function of the mask is to prevent you spreading an infection to others, we were told to cough into our inner elbows and wash our hands regularly, presumably because the virus can be spread on hands; in which case, why aren't gloves mandatory in s/markets for those who have to pick things up, only to put them back ?    I think the bottom line is, that HMG have looked at the books and decided that a large number of deaths will be acceptable in a pursuit  of  a  return to so-called normality;  their only problem being, to avoid sudden spikes in infection that could swamp the NHS.  I think Asp's advice "to look after yourself" is probably the best.   😷

The problem with gloves is that they can spread germs/viruses equally as well as bare hands, and don't tend to get washed as often. When used in a medical environment gloves are, or should be, changed very frequently i.e. after every use. That isn't likely to happen in a shop!

• Upvote 1

wonder how many antique shops have had enquiries about ww1 and ww2 gas masks?

what type of mask you wear does not matter as long as it covers the nose and mouth. a full face motorcycle helmet could qualify so could an open face one if the visor comes below the chin. You may get mistaken for a security guard but at least you would not be spreading the virus, if you have it that is.

• Upvote 1

You can't legislate for what everyone else does Obs, only act in your own best interests. Whether or not you're wearing gloves, if items you pick up have been contaminated you can pass that contamination to other items you touch, or to parts of your own body and clothes. So you can disinfect yourself, your clothes and all the items you bought when you get home (not forgetting the interior and external parts of your car) or you can stop worrying so much. Be sensible and all should be well. For what it's worth I think the mask wearing edicts are OTT but I'll comply because it's no big deal for me.

24 minutes ago, Observer II said:

We're terrorized by the media every day - latest claiming the "R" factor has gone above 1 over most of England and claims all those lemmings who have been to Spain, may have to self isolate when they get back.    😷

The R number is not above 1 according to Sage today, what are you reading?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-r-number-in-the-uk

On 7/24/2020 at 12:49 PM, asperity said:

The problem with gloves is that they can spread germs/viruses equally as well as bare hands, and don't tend to get washed as often. When used in a medical environment gloves are, or should be, changed very frequently i.e. after every use. That isn't likely to happen in a shop!

Correct, which is why we were told months ago not to wear gloves in work but rather to wash, wash, wash and sanitise hands frequently.  As for wearing face masks or coverings, well many are abiding by the new rule but some aren't.  Guess that will always be the case regardless of what rules are in place.

Have to say wearing a face mask for 6-8 hours a day is bloody awful though and  I now have an even bigger respect for the wonderful NHS staff who have always had to wear them.  I don;t know how them manage to do it day in day out. 

So for all those anywhere who are moaning about having to wear one for less than an hour to do their shopping....count yourself bloody lucky !!!

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, asperity said:

But unless a high percentage of people get infected with the virus, and recover

Or die as the case may be.

sitting at home without ever going out has become a way of life for some of our elderly people, who have been doing it for years in some cases.....🤔

9 hours ago, asperity said:

But unless a high percentage of people get infected with the virus, and recover, it won't go away will it? We can all sit at home in our isolation bubbles and never be able to go outside. Sounds like fun - NOT!

There's still a lot not known about the effects of this virus, whilst brainless youngsters and sceptics may think they will survive a mild dose;  evidence is mounting that there are secondary long term effects such as inflamatory conditions and secondary infection hasn't been ruled out.  But those infected continue to spread it and it will kill at least 20% of the herd, so the question is, just how many deaths are we prepared to contemplate in pursuit of so-called normality and majority immunity, assuming immunity is a possibility. ?   We should also note, that only at risk groups need to remain isolated,  but those lemmings that do venture out need to observe social distancing and basic hygene advice, which clearly doesn't involve swarming onto a beach or into a pub.    😷

On 7/31/2020 at 6:43 PM, Observer II said:

Beaches along the S/coast were packed today, no social distancing at all - and folk wonder why this virus isn't going away.  😠   😷

A day on the coast and possibly (at best) a fortnight in isolation as the symptoms appear. 

Of course that could also equate to a stay in hospital or worse..

Do people never consider these scenarios whilst having those few hours on the beach ????

That is Dangerous - Imgflip

#And regards the Aberdeen pub outbreak

All those who have tested positive in Aberdeen are showing only mild symptoms, though the health board said there may be further cases linked to the cluster.

One man, who is now being treated in hospital for coronavirus and who visited the bar last week, said he first began feeling ill on Wednesday.

The patient, who has asked not to be identified, told the BBC: "By Saturday morning I felt terrible. I had a severe fever and my eyes were really sore. I also had a pain in my side and doctors considered removing my appendix which they thought may have become infected from the virus."

He added: "It was very surreal being rushed to hospital and my mind did start to wonder in case things took a nasty turn.

"However, I do feel lucky that I only have mild symptoms and that I haven't had any breathing difficulties."

Well if he feels lucky what would it take to worry him.. a Firing Squad 😵

• Upvote 1