What's your opinion

Stallard12

45 minutes ago, Bill said:

A slight digress, but what's the actual speed limit on the "Expressway"? I believe it's 30 mph, but when it's not congested, most seem quite happy doing 40 or more. I always feel a bit uncertain when driving along there as I don't like holding others up but equally I don't want a ticket.

Bill :)

Winwick Road is similar Bill. It has street lighting so you have to assume it is 30mph speed limit but drivers fly along there. If the speed limit is more than 30 it should have repeater signs on the lamp posts at ,i think, every 200 yards.

Re .bus travel ,i do it often as i find practical , but unless buses are frequent the time taken to do what you have to do is prohibitive. I had to go to Warrington from Newton on Tuesday & just missed the direct 22 service which only runs every hour. I caught the every 20 minute 34 to Newton station where i had just missed the 360 Warrington bus & had to wait 25 minutes for the next one. My business in town took no more than 15 minutes the my return trip was just as chaotic. In all a trip of less than 5 miles each way took just over 2 hours to complete.

Well I'm still confused then because I've never really understood how street lights equate to speed limits.

As far as I know Winwick Road has a 40 mph limit for most of it's length and that has street lights (i think).

I've just Googled down Midland Way and see plenty of lamps but no speed signs?

Maybe I'll just continue to go with the flow and not worry about it.

59 minutes ago, Davy51 said:

Re .bus travel ,i do it often as i find practical , but unless buses are frequent the time taken to do what you have to do is prohibitive. I had to go to Warrington from Newton on Tuesday & just missed the direct 22 service which only runs every hour. I caught the every 20 minute 34 to Newton station where i had just missed the 360 Warrington bus & had to wait 25 minutes for the next one. My business in town took no more than 15 minutes the my return trip was just as chaotic. In all a trip of less than 5 miles each way took just over 2 hours to complete.

You have my sympathy Davy, but had you left home a few minutes earlier you would have caught the 22 and saved yourself all that misery.

3 hours ago, Bill said:

Well I'm still confused then because I've never really understood how street lights equate to speed limits.

As far as I know Winwick Road has a 40 mph limit for most of it's length and that has street lights (i think).

Bill,  so roads are legally called restricted roads. The Road Traffic Act defines them as being identified by a system of street lights which are placed no more than 200 yards apart. As an exception Trunk Roads or classified (A or B ) roads which existed before July 1957 are not restricted roads based on lighting alone. The speed limit on restricted roads is 30 mph set by the Secretary of State for Transport. A local authority can by an order de-restrict a road, which it must do before applying a speed limit order. Speed limit orders can apply to any roads other than special roads, which are motorways.

If a road would normally be a restricted road but is changed to a speed limit (up or down) which is not the one set by the Secretary of State (i.e. 30 mph) there must be signs showing the speed limit at the start and end of the limit with repeaters not less than 200 yards apart. Repeater signs for 30 mph were not allowed until fairly recently so they do not often exist.

The speed limit for the whole of Midland Way is 30mph.

3 hours ago, Bill said:

The Highway Code states either within the general body of the book or the smaller print at the back that any area where street lights are in use should be assumed to be 30 mph . Lit roads with higher speed limits are supposed to have repeater signs of a smaller size every 200 yards.

3 hours ago, Bill said:

correct bill, only time it goes down to thirty is when you get to the stretch between Mcdonalds and tesco. street lights spaced at less than 200 yard intervals means an automatic speed limit of 30mph, unless signed otherwise with repeater signs no more than 200 yards apart. (which could get confusing if they are placed on every lamp post along a road.)...🤔...🤪

Mind you last time went down winwick road i managed to get from Mcdonalds to the college in under an hour. (fifty eight minutes and twenty seven seconds to be precise).🤣

not possessing a bus pass,yet, a bus from my nearest bus stop to town centre is every fifteen or so minutes. however the cost is just short of two pounds one way.

Speaking of Winwick Road ,the most confusing traffic lights in the world are at the Cromwell Ave  junction. Unless you know that the filter lane off Winwick Road is not controlled by lights you could easily shoot out in front of traffic coming off the roundabout. I have seen a few near misses there because there nothing to say the lights are no more than a pedestrian crossing.

So if I know the year the road was built and can gauge the distance between lamp posts, I'd have a 50% chance of being able to guess the speed limit depending on the classification.

Looks like going with the flow makes more sense.

Hey Stallard, don't you just love the way we do things over here! 

Davy,  The filter left on to Cromwell Avenue from the N/B A49 is permanently on green, with give way lines but not a sign to make you give way to traffic leaving the roundabout. The light at the entrance to Cromwell Avenue a few yards north west of that at the pedestrian refuge are pedestrian controlled lights which can go red whilst the turn left filter is still on green. It doesn't happen often but I have seen cars turn left from the northbound straight on lane which does not have signs forbidding a left turn. This puts yo at risk of cars coming from the right at all times at that turn left filter. (If the idiot at the front of the left hand straight on lane is going to turn left because he missed the filter lane what are the chances that he will be indicating left round here!). This is of course followed at the junction with Calver Road just past the Bowl by a pair of filter lights, one straight on and one to turn right. The straight on filter is permanently on. You can tell strangers to the area, they are the ones who are going straight ahead but slow down when the turn right filter turns red only to speed up again just a few seconds later feeling confused. What a joy Warrington's roads are!

• Upvote 1

A thought just struck me, the last time we were in the U.K. we stayed in Altrincham and that still felt a little like the old Warrington.  Maybe  I should have just said that at the beginning!

However, on the traffic front, I don't think that you can ever solve that problem - too many people / cars, too little real estate.  I happen to be one of the people y'all just luvvvv, a lifelong Lycra warrior.   Because the sixty degree freezing weather drives me inside, I use one of my bikes on a resistance machine.  To break the boredom, I watch videos of guys doing various well known climbs while I'm riding. Just yesterday I watched a climb of the Horseshoe Pass out of Llangothlen, I was amazed, there was a constant stream of passing cars and motorcycles the whole ride.  When we climbed it there wasn't another soul around and there was dead silence, the experience has been destroyed.