A breath of fresh air ?

Observer II

If we can get past the Brexit saga; it seems we are facing new uneasy issues; namely roadside air pollution.  The bottom line of course is the fact that there are too many cars on our finite road system, congested and pumping out pollutants, which are already affecting the health of both the young and old.  The question is, will the public be prepared for the lifestyle changes required to end it ?  We've already seen in France, the yellow vest rebellion against green fuel taxation, London taxi drivers protesting at congestion charging etc.  Not to mention of course the interests of the car manufacturers, and the haulage industry.  We've even seen schoolkids threatening strike action against climate change, when they are the most threatened by air pollution, as their mother drive a couple of miles to the school to pick them up;  and no doubt they'll be asking daddy for a car when they're 17 !   So, will we see the necessary changes or will a future generation just have to suck it up ?

But in a few years time we will all have electric cars won't we?

Trams are making a come back, or at least trying to.

I am surprised that nobody has suggested we get back to the good old horse drawn transport.  Self replicating, so no need for factories to make them. Not very fuel efficient, but any pollution they produce can be used towards the production of new fuel by way of "fertiliser".

I'd have thought that the significant improvements made by the car manufacturers in terms of pollution control could or would have outweighed the overall increase in traffic volume. I don't have any numbers on this and could be completely wrong but I reckon without these new regulations, things by now would be seriously bad.

As Sid rightly says, electric cars will in the longer term solve the problem so people with issues just need to accept it as a fact of modern living and if they can't put up with it then they should consider moving to somewhere where the air is cleaner. 

Bill :)

I'd love to have a horse and cart to travel around in but alas not living in a rural village (well it was once) I have nowhere to keep my horsey and cart so alas I will just have to keep my petrol fuel propelled car and Mr Dizzy will have to keep his gas guzzler Diesel as he doesn't like horses anyway.

I wouldn't really want an electric car as surely long term there is more to go wrong and they cost more to fix.  Maybe  I'm wrong though.... I'm happy to be corrected and converted.....

I think it's nice that kids are taking an interest in their future and that of our planet though :D  

I wouldn't really want an electric car as surely long term there is more to go wrong and they cost more to fix.

A lot more to go wrong? There's no engine and gearbox Diz so I'd have thought that there's a whole lot less to go wrong. Ok the battery wont last forever but if it can last for about ten years before it's replaced, your back to an almost new car. 

On 2/14/2019 at 7:19 AM, Evil Sid said:

But in a few years time we will all have electric cars won't we?

Trams are making a come back, or at least trying to.

I am surprised that nobody has suggested we get back to the good old horse drawn transport.  Self replicating, so no need for factories to make them. Not very fuel efficient, but any pollution they produce can be used towards the production of new fuel by way of "fertiliser".

Be careful what you wish for Sid:

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/Great-Horse-Manure-Crisis-of-1894/

Last year we were in Sacramento and there were quite a few horse drawn cartridges for the tourists. A bylaw there stated that all the horses be fitted with some sort of poo catching sack which sort of worked but offered no protection from the constant farting that went on. 

On 2/16/2019 at 12:08 PM, Latchford Locks said:

Loony Left Agitators with nothing better to do till the next benefit payment is due.

What benefits are these school children waiting on, or are actually entitled to?  Stupid statement really, lazy and without a grain of actual truth.  Loony Left, you are so 1970's lol

• Downvote 2