flying the flag and the world cup.

Evil Sid

Next door neighbour seemed a bit miffed the other day. He told me that the police were telling people to remove the England flag from cars as it might offend.

I have also seen a post on face ache along similar lines where police were saying that people were being told they could not wear and england shirt whilst watching the world cup in public houses and the like and that they should not be seen carrying the england flag for fear of causing offence.

Ok my problem is that this is only two accounts and being a cynic when it comes to such things was wondering if anyone had seen or heard similar from any official source such as the police or government source or is it just a ploy from hate campaigners to stir up some racial hatred?

"can't show support for my national team as it causes offence to (insert ethnic minority of choice) stuff that nobody is going to tell me what i can wear in my own country and if they don't like it they can (suitable swear word not found) back to where they came from" seems to be the mantra that is being touted. All this because the england national football team has manage to qualify to take part in the world cup and might actually manage to get to (lets be generous) the quarter finals.

(on a personal note i could not care less about flags or the world cup for that matter)

So again has anybody any proof of the allegations of the police activity or not?

Given the way the system has treated Tommy Robinson,  Sid's concerns wouldn't surprise me.  Having said that, I've never really understood the promotion of seperate "nations" within the UK, exacerbated by having four football teams, when "the nation" is the United Kingdom, it's flag is the Union flag and it's citizens are British.    

3 hours ago, Observer II said:

Given the way the system has treated Tommy Robinson,  Sid's concerns wouldn't surprise me.     

You mean that convicted fraudster who pleaded guilty in court?  Anyway,  there have been fake stories on social media, debunked.  It’s always the same type of people with the same agenda spreading lies as facts.  It’s the same every xmas too with the fake “banning it cos it offends .”   If you wish to attach Engerland flags to your car Sid you crack on, the police will not be bothering you and nor will (insert ethnic minority of choice here)

3 hours ago, Observer II said:

Given the way the system has treated Tommy Robinson,  Sid's concerns wouldn't surprise me.  Having said that, I've never really understood the promotion of seperate "nations" within the UK, exacerbated by having four football teams, when "the nation" is the United Kingdom, it's flag is the Union flag and it's citizens are British.    

Really speaking ,the individual countries of the UK are ,in football terms, just a relic of the home internationals that were relevant when Britain was still a decent footballing nation & before other countries were made privy to the game & its rules. I doubt even a GB football team  would ruffle the feathers of today's top footballing nations in serious competition.

By the way ,who is Tommy Robinson ?

14 minutes ago, Davy51 said:

By the way ,who is Tommy Robinson ?

That’s not his real name, but he is a convicted fraudster who recently was imprisoned for 13 months after pleading guilty to contempt of court.  The Former leader of Those charming folk over at the EDL.  

What PJ said about it being fake news. Anyway the police don't have the resources due to .........................................*  for dealing with such minor matters. After all they have to monitor social media for people being rude to each other or about anybody.

*Insert your favourite excuse for the police not doing their job here.

If you wish to attach Engerland flags to your car Sid you crack on, the police will not be bothering you and nor will (insert ethnic minority of choice here)

Can't see the point in sticking an england flag (made in china) to my car (made in france) or my bike ( made in america) to support a scratch football team (made in hope), especially as i have no real interest in the world cup (or football in general) and the resultant "shouldadone" commentary by the pundits who had the same things said about them when they played for the national side when it got beat by (insert any other national side in the world here).

The world cup. the only competition where the pre match commentary and the subsequent post mortem of the result takes longer than the actual match.:(:lol:

• Haha 3

What does the law say about flying flags?

Flags that do not need consent

1. Any country’s national flag, civil ensign or civil air ensign;

2. The flag of the Commonwealth, the European Union, the United Nations or any other international organisation of which the United Kingdom is a member;

3. A flag of any island, county, district, borough, burgh, parish, city, town or village within the United Kingdom;

4. The flag of the Black Country, East Anglia, Wessex, any Part of Lincolnshire, any Riding of Yorkshire or any historic county within the United Kingdom;

5. The flag of Saint David;

6. The flag of Saint Patrick;

7. The flag of any administrative area within any country outside the United Kingdom;

8. Any flag of Her Majesty’s forces;

9. The Armed Forces Day flag.

However the flags must not display any advertisements or subject matter additional to the design of the flag. Flags that do not need consent provided they comply with certain restrictions The law states there a number of categories of flags may be flown without consent subject to certain restrictions regarding the size of the flag, the size of characters on the flag, and the number and location of the flags. These are:

1. House flag – flag is allowed to display the name, emblem, device or trademark of the company (or person) occupying the building, or can refer to a specific event of limited duration that is taking place in the building from which the flag is flown

2. Any sports club (but cannot include sponsorship logos)

3. The horizontal striped rainbow flag, such as the “Pride” Flag

4. Specified award schemes – Eco-Schools, Queens Awards for Enterprise and Investors in People The restrictions on these flags, which would result in them needing consent, are related to where the flagpole is located on your home or the building you want to fly it from. If you have a vertical flagpole on the roof – you are only permitted to have one flag, but there are no restrictions on its size. While if you have a flagpole projecting from anywhere else on the building – again you are only allowed one flag, it must not exceed two square metres in size. Also if you have a flagpole in the grounds of the building, you are allowed to fly up to two flags but the flagpole may not exceed 4.6 metres above ground level.

22 hours ago, asperity said:

My interest in this topic is flagging :ph34r:.

I'll get my coat :wacko:.

at least you got it in the right section, it certainly doesn't belong in 'Jokes and Quizzes@ :D

anyway this guy's interest is not flagging.

257dhxf.jpg

On 14/06/2018 at 7:04 AM, P J said:

4. The flag of the Black Country, East Anglia, Wessex, any Part of Lincolnshire, any Riding of Yorkshire or any historic county within the United Kingdom;

Surely this is not PC, PJ, after all, all people who live there are not 'Black'!.

23 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

They are if they worked in the coal mining industry which is where the term "Black country" is supposedly derived from.:rolleyes:

Sid, "not only but also" -  the Black Country gained its name in the mid-nineteenth century from the smoke from the many thousands of iron working foundries and forges. Other theories mention the abundance of coal in the region - the working of the shallow and 30ft thick seams. The region was described as 'Black by day and red by night' by Elihu Burritt, the American Consul to Birmingham in 1862.

Some of my ancestors were from the midlands, my great great grandfather was a narrowboat captain who came from Napton-on-the-Hill and worked out of Braunston.

1 hour ago, algy said:

Sid, "not only but also" -  the Black Country gained its name in the mid-nineteenth century from the smoke from the many thousands of iron working foundries and forges. Other theories mention the abundance of coal in the region - the working of the shallow and 30ft thick seams. The region was described as 'Black by day and red by night' by Elihu Burritt, the American Consul to Birmingham in 1862.

Some of my ancestors were from the midlands, my great great grandfather was a narrowboat captain who came from Napton-on-the-Hill and worked out of Braunston.

you know all this yet you spout that utter nonsense about racism?  

• Downvote 1

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 6:31 AM, algy said:

Surely this is not PC, PJ, after all, all people who live there are not 'Black'!.

Curiously PJ, I read that as a dig at Political Correctness. The notion of racism seems to have originated elsewhere, the stuff about the Black Country and its naming is common knowledge and I fear that it was an attempt at humour that didn't work as intended.

5 hours ago, Confused52 said:

Curiously PJ, I read that as a dig at Political Correctness. The notion of racism seems to have originated elsewhere, the stuff about the Black Country and its naming is common knowledge and I fear that it was an attempt at humour that didn't work as intended.

What the hell are you talking about PJ, there was no racism mentioned or even intended in my comment, are you so bigoted that you can't see genuine humour when it stares you in the face, Confused 52 is correct I was merely having a light hearted dig at Sid regarding his comment, I am the last person that would infer that any area of this country was populated by any race by their colour, for goodness sake lighten up and take your head from up your backside and see what the real world is like man.

• Upvote 3