An imax cinema?

Evil Sid

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/20681/1/New-2000-seater-cinema-will-be-at-heart-of-town-centre-masterplan/Page1.html

so we are to have a 2000 seat cinema serviced by a 1300 place car park in the town centre, and it is only going to cost twice as much as was first mentioned. still with a 5.5 million predicted yearly income we should have the money back in twenty years. by which timwe it will be out of date and ready for demolition.

still an IMAX cimena. er what's one of those?

IMax cinemas are cool... I went to see an underwater exploration film about the real Titanic in the one in Berlin.... full 3D and all that, but as has been said, there appears to have been no thought for any additional traffic generation.

We were only discussing it yesterday while having a drive out in the old Granada; the number of new estates that they have built; especially around Chapelford, Westbrook, etc etc and not one decent road between any of them. All relying on the 30 year old routes already in place and yet generating thousands of more cars. 

WBC and a decent transport system.... the two are completely alien to each other

Roads are consumers not generators of revenue and that vast pension fund won't pay for itself.

What I wonder is this. Where all those people to go who currently rely on Bridge Street for their £1 shots of diluted Albanian vodka (now almost free of all ethylene glycol!). Are the council fixing up another war zone elsewhere in the town or will they be laying on buses to take them all to Widnes? 

get an accident on any of the motorways or the runcorn bridge and two hours is the minimum time it will take you to get across warrington. :lol:

I still wonder why the price has suddenly shot up though. oh and what happened to the plans for the theatre that were supposed be part of the cinema complex?

They were already planning a cinema within the costs of original £52 million that they approved just before xmas. So now it's an IMax the costs for the WHOLE Bridge project has now doubled ??  Surely not as that doesn't make sense and I can't see it costing an extra £55 million to build a trendy cinema.  Saying that I don't remember reading that the market car park was being demolished and rebuilt before so I guess that must be a new plan too... still not and extra £55 millions worth though.

If the costs have already doubled in less than a few months god only knows how much it will actually all finish up costing.   

From what I can make out cinema use (and profits) have been declining year by year.

The IMEX cinemas in Bristol, Birmingham and Bournemouth have closed down. Bournemouth IMEX became a nightclub and KFC before it was voted 'Most Hated Building in Britain' After which it was bought by the local council for over £7 million specifically so that they could demolish it!

So WHY has WBC allowed one to be included in the Town Centre Regeneration Project?

Perhaps it's a replacement for Mr Smiths, in by the back door so to speak?

(The building planned for Warrington seems also very similar to the 'Most Hated')

Town Centre Regeneration Projects are supposed to 'enhance' a town centre, they are also supposed to be planned with Community involvement. As Bob Barr recently claimed the i's were dotted and the t's crossed whilst they were in power at the Town Hall, long, long, before any whiff of a 'public consultation'.

I think they are skating on thin ice with this project!

If you venture near a cinema on a normal Friday or a Saturday evening, and especially into one during the day this week when the schools are shut you will see people queuing up to get in. The surrounding shops and restaurants also benefit greatly from the passing trade.

For those of you who are concerned about traffic, if it is built in the centre of town, the whole of the population of Warrington, nearly a quarter of a million people are within 5 miles, eliminating journeys to the Trafford Centre or Cheshire Oaks. Many could simply jump on a bus or train to get into town, which satisfies the public transport brigade.

• Upvote 1

so it is sunday and the kiddies want to see the latest blockbuster 3D animated epic about a goldfish in a bowl who has dementia. i live at the five mile limit and wanting to be green and support the local infrastructure. i get the afternoon bus into town at a cost of about ten quid for the four of us. and arrive in plenty of time for the afternoon show. after paying my thirty or so quid to get in and then forking out another twenty or so for "refreshments" we settle down with the rest of teh mob to watch the three hour epic. on leaving at six pm we go to the bus station to find that we will have to walk home as the bus to where we live finishes at five.

second scenario. we rent teh film from netflix for say £5.00 all sit in the lounge around oyr 53" hd £D tv with cinema surround sound and watch the film being able to pause it when there is need of a toilet break and eating the healthy home made refreshments wuthout having travelled more than ten feet from the sofa and without the interferrence of other people wander past to go for further refreshments etc.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I do the same with Netflix too, but whenever a film that takes my fancy comes out I choose to watch it at the cinema. I prefer the big screen experience, and if you want to save a few quid and are worried about being stranded in town, use your car, it's free parking on a Sunday.

Also for you and your kids it shouldn't be more than about £19 (£8 adults, £5 kids). Before you get in, nip into Asda for a few cans of pop and bag of Butterkist. Happy days.

Blimey is it £8 to watch a film now?  That means if the 4 of us went it would cost £32 before any other spends OUCH !!  Is an iMax the same price or dearer ? 
Either way suddenly the £3.50 to rent via virgin TV for 24 hours seems very good value so I wont moan about that again when I notice one on our bill (.....well ok I probably still will :lol: )

If both a Imax and a theatre have limited potential then why not create a building that could double up and do both? After all its just a big building with a sloping floor and lot of seats all facing the front so it shouldn't be that difficult. Could also be a good music concert venue instead of the of the old dilapidated Parr Hall.

Do it right and people will come. Do it wrong and it'll be another pound shop within a couple of years.

Bill :)

Blimey is it £8 to watch a film now?  That means if the 4 of us went it would cost £32 before any other spends OUCH !!  Is an iMax the same price or dearer ? 

Either way suddenly the £3.50 to rent via virgin TV for 24 hours seems very good value so I wont moan about that again when I notice one on our bill (.....well ok I probably still will :lol: )

iT IS £14 FOR iMAX IN Print Works in Manchester plus parking and glasses.

It's a bit more than a stage with sloping seats. There's a lot more behind the scenes with a theatre-changing rooms, scenery etc. Do you think a theatre would work in Warrington. With our proximity to Liverpool and Manchester, we would probably just get the third rate shows that no-one else wants, a few odd days a month.